Harris progressing fast- Gregg Hayim, JC

Kentucky Jet

Harris progressing fast

By Gregg Hayim

Posted Aug 28, 2007

A lot was made of the Jets trading up in the first round to land Pittsburgh cornerback Darrelle Revis. That is looking like a screwd move.

But the Jets also made a draft day trade to move up in the second round and grab linebacker David Harris.

That move isn

Harris progressing fast

By Gregg Hayim

Posted Aug 28, 2007

A lot was made of the Jets trading up in the first round to land Pittsburgh cornerback Darrelle Revis. That is looking like a screwd move.

But the Jets also made a draft day trade to move up in the second round and grab linebacker David Harris.

That move isn

how bout barton starts right next to harris??????????????????

vilma had a stellar rookie year, so why can't harris? this could well be vilma's last year as a jet. he just doesn't seem to fit the role of a 3-4 backer.

i think you are going to see more of a 3-man rotation this season with vilma always being on the field for the nickel and dime defenses.

i know it was only preseason but harris really impressed me. he was always moving forward, taking on the guards, and getting off the blocks. vilma continues to pussyfoot around and give ground as he tries to avoid blocks rather than taking them on. i just hope the jets can still get a 1st rd pick for vilma and his stock hasn't dropped too much in 2 years.

vilma should be outside, or a damn safety. If we are going to stop the run, the ILB's are harris and barton.

Vilma should in no way be on the outside in a 3-4. If he's undersized for the inside than he's definitely not a fit on the outside. 3-4 OLB's are usually undersized 4-3 ends.

If Vilma doesn't at least show reasonable improvement against the run this year, we should strongly consider trading him. Simple as that.

Could that be the #52? He looks much smaller than I thought he would, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, because he's not actually small and he looks like he can fill out and already seems capable.

I know they both share the smae number. I just think Harris is a similar type player. Pepper was a tough run stopper himself.

How about this?

Vilma and Harris on the inside and Thomas and Barton on the outside with Hobson and Bowens as primary subs?

barton and thomas aren't the problems, vilma is. vilma has shown no ability to play ILB in the 3-4. maybe this year he will surprise everyone but he has shown nothing to date.

unfortunatly barton is the best linebaker on the roster, maybe next to Thomas.

He has lost a step or two though... thats why they drafted Harris... they did not draft Harris to replace Vilma... they drafted him to be next to Vilma

What we should do is trade Vilma and start Barton and Harris. Vilma has huge value to a team that runs the 4-3, we could possibly get a 1st round pick from a team that lands in the top 5-10 picks and maybe draft Glenn Dorsey as our DT of the future.

What we should do is trade Vilma and start Barton and Harris. Vilma has huge value to a team that runs the 4-3, we could possibly get a 1st round pick from a team that lands in the top 5-10 picks and maybe draft Glenn Dorsey as our DT of the future.

Problem is Vilma is the brains of the D out on the field and runs the show...

Also then they would need to find an ILB to replace Barton who is aging...

Problem is Vilma is the brains of the D out on the field and runs the show...

Also then they would need to find an ILB to replace Barton who is aging...

The brains of the D is a load of bull, honestly any other player can fill that role. Also Harris was learning the role with the 2nd team defense during TC. Vilma has huge value now and Barton is a better 3-4 ILB unless Vilma actually shows good progression this season theres no reason to keep him. He isn't big enough to play ILB and it doesn't look like he did much to change that this offseason.

The brains of the D is a load of bull, honestly any other player can fill that role. Also Harris was learning the role with the 2nd team defense during TC. Vilma has huge value now and Barton is a better 3-4 ILB unless Vilma actually shows good progression this season theres no reason to keep him. He isn't big enough to play ILB and it doesn't look like he did much to change that this offseason.

Its not bull... Mangini runs a complicated D and Vilma manages everything on the field... they cant just throw anyone into that job... its not that easy...

Its not bull... Mangini runs a complicated D and Vilma manages everything on the field... they cant just throw anyone into that job... its not that easy...

The thing is though yes any starter can fill that role, its not as hard as people make it out to be. Saying hes the brains of the D is pretty much equal to calling a QB a game manager.

The thing is though yes any starter can fill that role, its not as hard as people make it out to be. Saying hes the brains of the D is pretty much equal to calling a QB a game manager.

LOL

The QB is a game manager in Shotty's system... thats why Chad will be calling more plays this season...

Im sorry but your wrong, Vilma has A LOT to do with the defense and how well it runs... he has been in that role for a full season and 2 offseasons... he knows it better than anyone else and the JETS would suffer at this point without him in there...

In order to make the change they would need to do it early in the offseason...

LOL

The QB is a game manager in Shotty's system... thats why Chad will be calling more plays this season...

Im sorry but your wrong, Vilma has A LOT to do with the defense and how well it runs... he has been in that role for a full season and 2 offseasons... he knows it better than anyone else and the JETS would suffer at this point without him in there...

They wouldn't suffer. Any slight difference that was made while any other player started being the brains of the defense would be negated since our ILB wouldn't be getting mauled by guards every play.

LOL

ECurb has been right throughout this whole thread... Vilma may be undersized but at the same time he has way to much potential to trade or let go... He has speed, quickness, heart... I'm telling you, playing alongside Harris will only benefit Vilma. How about we upgrade our D-Line and actually give Vilma a fair chance.

Vilma is smarter than most LB's in the game... And smarts is not something you can just give a player... Vilma is the leader of this D and I have alot of faith that Vilma will have a big time season this year.

Hobson is a freakin bum. i can't wait til we replace that pile.

Wow, so Jet fans cant wait to replace Vilma and Hobson, and Barton is heading into his tenth season.

That leaves Thomas, Harris, Bowens (also in his 10th season), Spencer and Costanzo. Wadsworht is not an every down player. Of course, there's always Shmegal.

;)

Vilma was actually off the field for a lot of the 2nd quarter.I saw Bryan Thomas directing guys about on one play but I think BArton was the guy calling most of the shots when Vilma was off.

Archived