Jets interested in OG Vincent

faba

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets, who are in search of a veteran guard, are one of several teams that have expressed interest in free agent Keyrick Vincent, according to a person familiar with the discussions between the Jets and Vincent's representatives.

That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because talks are ongoing and he's not authorized to speak publicly.

@StoryAd?xThe Dolphins and Bills, who both need help at guard, are also believed to be interested in Vincent, a veteran who was released by the Ravens on Tuesday. Miami was eyeing Pete Kendall before the Jets traded him to the Redskins last Thursday.

Vincent's agent, Ken Zuckerman, was unavailable for comment yesterday. On Tuesday afternoon, he told The Star-Ledger that he hadn't spoken to the Jets.

The Jets likely want to see how rookie Jacob Bender fares against the Eagles tonight in the preseason finale at Lincoln Financial Field before making a move. He struggled early against the Giants last week, allowing a sack and a pressure, but he settled down and the club remains high on him.

Bender, a sixth-round pick from Division 1-AA Nicholls State, is expected to start against the Eagles, who will play primarily backups. Third-year pro Adrien Clarke, a former Eagle, is also in the mix but the club appears disappointed in him. Clarke started throughout the off-season workouts, training camp and the first two preseason games before being demoted.

Vincent (6-5, 325 pounds) started the past two seasons for the Ravens at right guard and was working at left guard in training camp this summer. The seventh-year pro out of Mississippi became expendable because Baltimore had a surplus of guards after drafting a guard, Ben Grubbs, with their first-round pick.

Vincent was injured the past two seasons and fell out of favor with the Ravens. He stormed out of training camp on the first day when he learned he had lost his starting job to second-year pro Chris Chester. He returned the next day and worked hard throughout camp, although he made it clear he wanted out.

Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens have locked up the starting and backup job, respectively, at quarterback, but the battle for the third-string job is on and it's more of a personnel decision than one based on talent. Do the Jets keep multi-purpose performer Brad Smith as the third quarterback or do they give the job to ex-Raider Marques Tuiasosopo, who has had a solid camp despite getting limited reps and is clearly the better pure quarterback?

"I'm not a coach," said Tuiasosopo, who has completed 7-of-13 passes for 68 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions in the preseason. "Those decisions I don't think about. My concern is just to get this game plan down the best I can and when they tell me to go in, I can move us down the field, have positive plays and score some points."

Smith has been underwhelming at quarterback, completing 4-of-7 passes for 21 yards in the preseason. As a receiver, though, he made a nifty 34-yard catch against the Giants and had a 46-yard kickoff return against the Falcons. He has seven carries for 47 yards and also plays on special

Yesterday, they weren't interested. Now, they are. Sign the mother****er already. About the one thing I actually liked when Edwards was here is that when a decent vet became available during camp, they didn't pussyfoot around. They went out and got him. We need a guard. Vincent is a decent guard. Sign him already and quit being interested one day and not the next.

From Vincent's point of view, what will he be looking for? A big pay day? A team he thinks can compete for a championship? What exactly...I can tell you this, the fins may have the inside track because there is no state income tax...all depends what's in Vincent's head.

If Bender and Clarke bomb tonight, the Jets will be on the phone with Vincent's agent during halftime.

Actually I would bet Tann. sends a company Limo for him in Balt. to bring him to the suite for the opposing owner in philly tonight & they watch the game together..

the game tonight might go a long way in telling the bender story this season. if bender does work out though at LG, then Tannenbaum had another incredible draft.

Unless Brick stinks it up again... lol... then he automatically sucks for screwing up a top 5 pick...

I hope Bender and Brick tear it up out there tonight...

See Bills and Dolphins also interested so make a move before our competition does.

Yup Faba

Dolphins | Team believed to be interested in Vincent

Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:02:06 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the Miami Dolphins are believed to be interested in unrestricted free-agent OG Keydrick Vincent (Ravens).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bills | Team believed to be interested in Vincent

Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:59:13 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the Buffalo Bills are believed to be interested in unrestricted free-agent OG Keydrick Vincent (Ravens).

Ex-Ravens guard in talks with Jets

Thursday, August 30, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets, who are in search of a veteran guard, are one of several teams that have expressed interest in free agent Keyrick Vincent, according to a person familiar with the discussions between the Jets and Vincent's representatives.

That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because talks are ongoing and he's not authorized to speak publicly.

The Dolphins and Bills, who both need help at guard, are also believed to be interested in Vincent, a veteran who was released by the Ravens on Tuesday. Miami was eyeing Pete Kendall before the Jets traded him to the Redskins last Thursday.

Vincent's agent, Ken Zuckerman, was unavailable for comment yesterday. On Tuesday afternoon, he told The Star-Ledger that he hadn't spoken to the Jets.

The Jets likely want to see how rookie Jacob Bender fares against the Eagles tonight in the preseason finale at Lincoln Financial Field before making a move. He struggled early against the Giants last week, allowing a sack and a pressure, but he settled down and the club remains high on him.

Bender, a sixth-round pick from Division 1-AA Nicholls State, is expected to start against the Eagles, who will play primarily backups. Third-year pro Adrien Clarke, a former Eagle, is also in the mix but the club appears disappointed in him. Clarke started throughout the off-season workouts, training camp and the first two preseason games before being demoted.

Vincent (6-5, 325 pounds) started the past two seasons for the Ravens at right guard and was working at left guard in training camp this summer. The seventh-year pro out of Mississippi became expendable because Baltimore had a surplus of guards after drafting a guard, Ben Grubbs, with their first-round pick.

Vincent was injured the past two seasons and fell out of favor with the Ravens. He stormed out of training camp on the first day when he learned he had lost his starting job to second-year pro Chris Chester. He returned the next day and worked hard throughout camp, although he made it clear he wanted out.

Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens have locked up the starting and backup job, respectively, at quarterback, but the battle for the third-string job is on and it's more of a personnel decision than one based on talent. Do the Jets keep multi-purpose performer Brad Smith as the third quarterback or do they give the job to ex-Raider Marques Tuiasosopo, who has had a solid camp despite getting limited reps and is clearly the better pure quarterback?

"I'm not a coach," said Tuiasosopo, who has completed 7-of-13 passes for 68 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions in the preseason. "Those decisions I don't think about. My concern is just to get this game plan down the best I can and when they tell me to go in, I can move us down the field, have positive plays and score some points."

Smith has been underwhelming at quarterback, completing 4-of-7 passes for 21 yards in the preseason. As a receiver, though, he made a nifty 34-yard catch against the Giants and had a 46-yard kickoff return against the Falcons. He has seven carries for 47 yards and also plays on special teams (two tackles).

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...600.xml&coll=1

If the Jets pick up a veteran guard, it will be after the final cuts are announced so that their salary is not guranteed for the year. I think they like Bender enough that they will gamble that a serviceable guard will make it that far.

I don't think its after the final cuts. I think its after the first game is played.

If they are on the roster on opening day the salary is guaranteed.

Archived