JI becoming a premium site?

Section317

:shock:

You know, I look at JI like a neighborhood that I used to live in. Every so often, I take a spin through there, see how my old neighbors are doing, seeing who's talking about what and so forth.

I like JI and I like alot of the people who still post there, and I even like the people who post there who would never post here. I love reading Flowtrain and I love reading mbn007's baseball takes. I like reading jetman's stuff and, at times, I get a kick out of Limo's diatribes. I have zero hard feelings towards JI and I wish Sean all the success in the world with it.

But...

Making JI a premium site is like bulldozing that old neighborhood and putting up a strip mall in its place.

Believe me, I understand the costs involved in getting a quality website run (we share expenses behind the scenes here), and I know that Sean has invested alot of dough into that site, so, again, I wish him well, but this marks the end of what used to be JI, of whose history I still consider myself a small part. Hopefully, what JI makes from this is more than what it has cost them, both financially and figuratively.

Please don't look at this as me bashing JI, or bashing Sean. All this is is an old poster who spent a hell of a lot of time--some great times--over there, who is just a little bit saddened to see what used to be a unified community of comments and ideas turned into an house divided between the haves and the have-nots.

JetNation is not, despite all appearances, a competitor of JI, we do not compete for the consumer dollar at all, and we have made it expressly clear that we do not want to "compete" for posters. JI's success does not come at the expense of our success, so, again, we wish them well. More than 85% of our posters are JI regulars, and we have never once asked them to choose between us and them. We have never banned a poster for pimping JI here, nor have we banned any posters (but one, for a multitude of reasons) for bashing JetNation on there. We are what we are. We have a different vibe, a different ethic, and different values. If you've been here for more than a week, you know that we are what we are, for better or for worse, and we thank everyone who hangs out with us.

And in five years, when we go premium, make sure to send your check to TomShane@paypal.com. Spell it right.

If you read the thread on the subject in their forum, there's a lot of talk of using the fee to keep the trolls and Pats fans out (unfortunately, PatsFanTX is mentioned by name).

I don't understand it.

Read the thread on the JI site - lots of unhappy campers over there who make a lot of valid points about the upcoming changes.

[-X

There are knowledgable posters of all fans-to separate out a site to solely Jet fans is not good IMO- if you want everything to be mouthpieces of the Jets organization and everything is perfect and every player is perfect on the Jets- I am not a robot

Good luck to Sean because he was always nice to me- hope it works out for him and he does not regret this decision.

I just double checked my email inbox. I am shocked that I wasn't consulted on this move. :oops:

One thing about the "Patsie Trolls"...here is the best way to shut them up. How about the Jets actually beat the Pats? Take the division, win the damn SuperBowl. Until that happens they are going to talk. We will do the same thing to them when it is all reversed.

Nothing a Pats fan can say to me could make me feel worse than I already do when the Jets lose.

I just double checked my email inbox. I am shocked that I wasn't consulted on this move. :oops:

One thing about the "Patsie Trolls"...here is the best way to shut them up. How about the Jets actually beat the Pats? Take the division, win the damn SuperBowl. Until that happens they are going to talk. We will do the same thing to them when it is all reversed.

Nothing a Pats fan can say to me could make me feel worse than I already do when the Jets lose.

=D>=D>=D>

With absolute sincerity:

I am glad I have this outlet called JetNation. A "commercial" free (understand?) zone where all opinions and all comers are welcome and - get this - no hard feelings, no malice, no genuine dislike - just debates and good natured ribbing. A competitive spirit, a keen sense of humor and a thirst for knowledge shared by everyone here - regardless of team affiliation - sans the mean "spiritedness." What a remarkable feat by Max, Tom and Faba.

Plus - a minimum amount of children! Thank you!!

JN UPDATE:

We are going premium. If you want to read fatcatxl's cheerleading articles, you will have to give us $50 a month. That's just the way it's going to be.

Thanks, the mgmt.

I assume for the $50 bucks we would get some hard core nudity.

I assume for the $50 bucks we would get some hard core nudity.

Yes. But that, too, will involve fatcatxl. Stay tuned. :lol:

With absolute sincerity:

I am glad I have this outlet called JetNation. A "commercial" free (understand?) zone where all opinions and all comers are welcome and - get this - no hard feelings, no malice, no genuine dislike - just debates and good natured ribbing. A competitive spirit, a keen sense of humor and a thirst for knowledge shared by everyone here - regardless of team affiliation - sans the mean "spiritedness." What a remarkable feat by Max, Tom and Faba

The story of the 05 Jets will be if they can beat the Patriots. It's the same as it was for the 80's Lakers having to beat the Celtics, Jordan's Bulls having to beat Isiah's Pistons, and the Mets having to beat the Braves for the NL East. To deny that is to stick your head in the sand. Myself, I hope to get Fins posters on here, Bills posters, KC Chiefs posters, etc. Or, we can just talk about how great Herm and Curtis Martin are all day long.

im not payin to a "premium" site to read the same sh*t he'll write in the paper or hear on the radio...insane!!!....

im not bashin sean , he never did me wrong ..but i dont think its a smart move...

Lucky for you Garb, TomShane isn't allowed to be around children, per the details of his parole.

All part of being a serial sex offender....

(and not, not a "cereal" sex offender, that would belong in the other thread.)

Lucky for you Garb, TomShane isn't allowed to be around children, per the details of his parole.

All part of being a serial sex offender....

(and not, not a "cereal" sex offender, that would belong in the other thread.)

I'm allowed within 600 feet, you bastard! And that drops to 400 feet when they reach 16!

A two pronged site 1)half a free message board 2)the other aspects subscription, based on a writers presence isn't new.

The Insiders has a Rams site, where very well known NFL writer Howard Balzer and a lesser known writer lead a "premium message board" with info, stories,ect....has been this way for a while. Perhaps Jetconfidential with Leberfeld is similar?

It doesn't suprise me, that "beat writers' are cozying up with fan sites, as they see this as a sort of "small, side work".

I was involved with a premium site. Even got paid for a little. Although I never expected at all to make more than $1,500 per calender year (made less than that, before I got out), I didn't realize how difficult it was to get people to pay for content....

Reason I thought that site had a chance, was because the subcribtion fee was about $15 (JI is talking $60 or more).....And even for that small price my friends site charged, the site had a hard time growing.

As was stated, it's a total longshot to expect people to pay "X-amount of dollars" for something they are so used to getting for free....

Also, suppose I broke something on that pay site due to an inside source--the free media would get the same story soon after anyway :shock: .

Also, another problem: When I was writing for that site (even though I made a very small sum), I couldn't stand the fact that I'd work a long time to write something, only to know only 150 to 200 people on the planet can even see...

Also, if Cannizaro gets paid, how will that make writers like Mayone and others feel, when they are writing for less or for free?

He can't sell "exposure" to aspiring writers, because only members will see it--not the New York Times, looking for a Mayone type :?

Speaking from experience, he may recoup his expenses, but he'd need 500 to 1,000 subscribers to really make something on this at his price $60 a month)....

Getting that number of subscribers won't be easy--matter of fact, with all the teens and "non Jets" fans being the most AVID posters, that will be tough.

Nontheless, last time I checked, Sean is a fellow American citizen, looking to start a legit business. From that standpoint, I wish him nothing but luck.

But, again, I know how it feels to expect new subscribers to come pouring in everyday (after that first initial surge), only to see a trickle enter--which is usually offset by others not "renewing'.

P.S: My friend, who ran that site, said only 1 group on the Net can really make money on premium sites--College sites, that extensively cover high school recruiting--i.e, Insiders, Rivals--because they offer a niche you wont easily find elsewhere........For NFL teams, there a 9 billion news outlets for free---being in New York makes it tougher.

I subscribe to the hard copy Jets Confidential. I still need to pay extra if I want to see the online content, but why should I when the hard copy is giving me more info than I need. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Good luck to JI and anybody who has 60 to spend to read stuff you can find anywhere for free 2 days later.

They won't break any news before or faster then ESPN news or Kffl. So people pay $$ to do what? Read "elite" opinions?

Im not sure about the definition of elite but....

You want to know why Herm Sucks? ask Tomshane for free.

You want to know what Kevin Mawae's breath smells like? Ask brenda for free?

If you have any doubt's about your sexuality,contact Maxman immediatly.

All jokes aside...I wish JI & Sean all the best.

I subscribe to the hard copy Jets Confidential. I still need to pay extra if I want to see the online content, but why should I when the hard copy is giving me more info than I need. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

any justin miller secret tidbits from JC??

A two pronged site 1)half a free message board 2)the other aspects subscription, based on a writers presence isn't new.

The Insiders has a Rams site, where very well known NFL writer Howard Balzer and a lesser known writer lead a "premium message board" with info, stories,ect....has been this way for a while. Perhaps Jetconfidential with Leberfeld is similar?

It doesn't suprise me, that "beat writers' are cozying up with fan sites, as they see this as a sort of "small, side work".

I was involved with a premium site. Even got paid for a little. Although I never expected at all to make more than $1,500 per calender year (made less than that, before I got out), I didn't realize how difficult it was to get people to pay for content....

Reason I thought that site had a chance, was because the subcribtion fee was about $15 (JI is talking $60 or more).....And even for that small price my friends site charged, the site had a hard time growing.

As was stated, it's a total longshot to expect people to pay "X-amount of dollars" for something they are so used to getting for free....

Also, suppose I broke something on that pay site due to an inside source--the free media would get the same story soon after anyway :shock: .

Also, another problem: When I was writing for that site (even though I made a very small sum), I couldn't stand the fact that I'd work a long time to write something, only to know only 150 to 200 people on the planet can even see...

Also, if Cannizaro gets paid, how will that make writers like Mayone and others feel, when they are writing for less or for free?

He can't sell "exposure" to aspiring writers, because only members will see it--not the New York Times, looking for a Mayone type :?

Speaking from experience, he may recoup his expenses, but he'd need 500 to 1,000 subscribers to really make something on this at his price $60 a month)....

Getting that number of subscribers won't be easy--matter of fact, with all the teens and "non Jets" fans being the most AVID posters, that will be tough.

Nontheless, last time I checked, Sean is a fellow American citizen, looking to start a legit business. From that standpoint, I wish him nothing but luck.

But, again, I know how it feels to expect new subscribers to come pouring in everyday (after that first initial surge), only to see a trickle enter--which is usually offset by others not "renewing'.

P.S: My friend, who ran that site, said only 1 group on the Net can really make money on premium sites--College sites, that extensively cover high school recruiting--i.e, Insiders, Rivals--because they offer a niche you wont easily find elsewhere........For NFL teams, there a 9 billion news outlets for free---being in New York makes it tougher.

Great take, Rigs. An interesting move, to be sure.

With absolute sincerity:

I am glad I have this outlet called JetNation. A "commercial" free (understand?) zone where all opinions and all comers are welcome and - get this - no hard feelings, no malice, no genuine dislike - just debates and good natured ribbing. A competitive spirit, a keen sense of humor and a thirst for knowledge shared by everyone here - regardless of team affiliation - sans the mean "spiritedness." What a remarkable feat by Max, Tom and Faba.

That sums it up perfectly. =D>

I dont think its a great move IMO on their part. It would turn the main messageboard over there into a bunch of kids and trolls, while providing a "safe haven" of similar minds and filtered thoughts for the "elite". I also find it hard to believe that a professional journalist, working for a major newspaper, would be providing "premium content" that he wouldn't be providing to his own boss. Sounds like a conflict of interest. Just my humble two cents.

Archived