JI becoming a premium site?

Section317

ok i have to comment

1. 60 bucks a MONTH? that was a misprint right 44?

I think the idea will be a miserable failure. 60 bucks a year (MONTH?) for what? cannizzaro? who cares when you can read what he has to say in the newspaper. There just wont be anything to justify the cost, unless you are totally living the leisure lifestyle and your a total jet fanatic.

I dont see it being a problem for the regulasr board. guys who pay, all 3 of them will still use the regular board. the funny thing will be when a pay user posts a discussion about what he or even she (yes, women can also use computers)read about in the pay section in the free section. sooth will flip. i can just picture the emails warning everyone to keep things private

i wish sooth the best of luck either way. if he wants people to pay he has to offer a live practice cam with feeds of scrimages, cams in the locker rooms, etc. etc.

DK, I should've been more clear--Sooth is figuring 5 to 6 dollars per month, so my guess of 60 per 12 months is at the very low end of the scale.

Like I said before, I was involved with running another NFL site that went from free to pay. It used to charge about a $1 per month, and after that initial surge of posters that decided they would pay, the new members were scarce---you wanted to throw a party when you got 3 new members in a week :lol:

B-LABEL, great points: here are some other things I found when a site goes from free to pay.

1) Some of the best posters get offended when asked to pay. They feel their contributions helped make the site a "happening venue". Then, all of a sudden, they are told they can only contribute if they pay.

Note: Leaving 1 board free (like the Insiders), will help him keep those people.

2) You are so used to "smack talk" with other fans. But rival fans won't pay a penny for Jets info......Patriot fans may seem like Trolls in June, but during game week, their input will missed.

3) Watchout for "scholarships" to bloat the numbers.....My friend was forced to give away free subscribtions at first, to get the numbers up and keep the board humming.....So if a premium board has 100 members, don't automatically assume that's all income. The writers and moderators, for sure, will get free access too.

In sum, his idea isn't novel. It's very similar to every site at www.scout.com (formerly the insiders)...

Honestly, good luck to him. Like I said, I wish I could figure out a way to make big time money on a sports website, so I won't begrudge Sooth if he does make the difficult task work out :mrgreen:

DK brings up another good point, and its an issue of controlling information. I deal with this with some clients doing email marketing - how do you control that paid subscribers dont forward premium content to other non-paying viewers. You can have all the controls you want, but where there's a will there's a way.

Would a paid subscriber post the premium content on Jetnation.com or on Ganggreen.com to share the wealth? Would that be a bannable offense?

You guys have a niche market and an angle at Draftdaddy.com. Maybe someday...

Hopefully, B-Label, and thank you very much. But you've got to either do long scouting reports on like 500 players (which would take all day, 7 days a week--52 weeks per)........or be able to break insider news--which we can't do.

Rob Rang, for example, told a Florida paper he clears about $7,000 per calender year and he writes Draft things for USA Today and has a pay-scouting site....Either he's lying about his income (which is possible), or these sites are not legit money venues........I'm shocked USA Today, alone, doesn't pay him more than that.

So far, we are a long way from that. Sooth is basically hoping Cannizaro will do that for him....But what news can Cannizaro really break on the web, that he holds back at the Post? That's tricky.

It's gonna be tough, but I'm sure he's looking at it as a way to increase income from a hobby, not a way to support himself and his family.

So far, we are a long way from that. Sooth is basically hoping Cannizaro will do that for him....But what news can Cannizaro really break on the web, that he holds back at the Post? That's tricky.

I agree - Mark is walking a fine line with his "day" job possibly conflicting with his "night" job. He'd be crazy to hold back info from the Post, and if he doesn't, then how premium is it? I think Jets (and NFL info in general) is so oversaturated on the 'net already - I can go here, or JI or GG and see the same general information posts (Richard Seymore holding out, Chad throwing again, etc.) often posted by the same people. Which is cool when its free since you get different perspectives on different sites.

It's gonna be tough, but I'm sure he's looking at it as a way to increase income from a hobby, not a way to support himself and his family.

I wish Sooth the best of luck, and Im sure you're right - its more a way to cover costs I bet. I doubt anyone can make a living doing this, and my gut feeling is that financial contributions over there have dropped with a number of regulars being banned or having left.

I could be wrong, but I think the contribution from a "pro" writer such as Cannizaro will be more along the lines of opinion, perhaps an exclusive column, moreso than breaking news. Besides Sooth doesn't really need anyone to break news, he is usually on top of that stuff when the season gets going anyway.

I don't like his idea of a seperate messageboard, as much as I hate the fact that the board was divided into these two sites, all football opinions are welcome in my eyes, and i don't feel the need to remove myself from anyone to avoid those that some consider annoying.

Bren, what possibly could you have done to get a nice girl like yourself banned? Inquirying minds would like to know. :lol:

I was accused of PM'ing 200 posters to JOIN here....

FALSEHOODS, I cleared this up with Sooth..things are kool but I can not post there....EVER!

A two pronged site 1)half a free message board 2)the other aspects subscription, based on a writers presence isn't new.

The Insiders has a Rams site, where very well known NFL writer Howard Balzer and a lesser known writer lead a "premium message board" with info, stories,ect....has been this way for a while. Perhaps Jetconfidential with Leberfeld is similar?

It doesn't suprise me, that "beat writers' are cozying up with fan sites, as they see this as a sort of "small, side work".

I was involved with a premium site. Even got paid for a little. Although I never expected at all to make more than $1,500 per calender year (made less than that, before I got out), I didn't realize how difficult it was to get people to pay for content....

Reason I thought that site had a chance, was because the subcribtion fee was about $15 (JI is talking $60 or more).....And even for that small price my friends site charged, the site had a hard time growing.

As was stated, it's a total longshot to expect people to pay "X-amount of dollars" for something they are so used to getting for free....

Also, suppose I broke something on that pay site due to an inside source--the free media would get the same story soon after anyway :shock: .

Also, another problem: When I was writing for that site (even though I made a very small sum), I couldn't stand the fact that I'd work a long time to write something, only to know only 150 to 200 people on the planet can even see...

Also, if Cannizaro gets paid, how will that make writers like Mayone and others feel, when they are writing for less or for free?

He can't sell "exposure" to aspiring writers, because only members will see it--not the New York Times, looking for a Mayone type

You mean people actually read Mayone's articles?

#-o

It's still an okay site. But after the telethons and now the fee, I don't see many people paying it. If Sean can get it, God bless'em. But it's not like Mark Cannizzaro(who is the best Jet beat writer there is) is going to pimp his most inside stuff to a fan website over his day job outlet at the Post.

Through no fault of the staff over there, there do seem to be an inordinate number of young toolbags who add nothing.

Another thing-if he's gonna charge people, the site better not go down after every game, or posters will be looking for refunds.

It's still an okay site. But after the telethons and now the fee, I don't see many people paying it. If Sean can get it, God bless'em. But it's not like Mark Cannizzaro(who is the best Jet beat writer there is) is going to pimp his most inside stuff to a fan website over his day job outlet at the Post.

Through no fault of the staff over there, there do seem to be an inordinate number of young toolbags who add nothing.

Another thing-if he's gonna charge people, the site better not go down after every game, or posters will be looking for refunds.

Which is true... there are alot of 'trolls' there. The quality has gone down, big time.

That being said, it is still an ok site... it is what it is. Personally, I like it here. There isn't the political strife here, for lack of a better term. They're split down the middle, over a myriad of things. That and some are really self-ritgeous. But hey... we have Tommy Shane, they don't.... man, we got screwed! :lol:

I was accused of PM'ing 200 posters to JOIN here....

FALSEHOODS, I cleared this up with Sooth..things are kool but I can not post there....EVER!

This can`t be entirely accurate as I so you listed there as a guest last week on a real estate thread?

Smizzy send me a PM and I will outline what I would do to you for $6 a month.

Just so you can make an informed decision.

:shock::shock: EWWWWWWWW..... tom not giving you what you want anymore, max...or just in need of a little extra cash?

Archived