ARod is Opting out of his contract

Smizzy

He did what was best for his client.

Allowing the Yanks to have exclusive negotiating rites to A-Rod does not serve his client. I think is foolish for the Yankees to draw that line in the sand.

Who are they going to rebuild around? Jeter? Tori Hunter?

Yanks better hope those young guns MadMike worships come through. Otherwise, the Yankees are going to struggle to hold off Toronto.

I'm assuming the Yanks will target pitching in FA with the $$ they saved from ARod. Bostons got a good group of young pitchers that the Yanks will be hard pressed to keep up with in the next several years.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming the Yanks will target pitching in FA with the $$ they saved from ARod. Bostons got a good group of young pitchers that the Yanks will be hard pressed to keep up with in the next several years.

Yanks have very good young pitching...that is the last area they need to visit in Free Agency unless Mo walks. The Yanks must address their lack of RH hitting.

The starting rotation even without Andy should be fine.

A-Rod, good, but i think him want something better, and it will not find better then Yankees!!! The Yankees are better, ask for all!!! The moust famous team of MLB on the world.

Joe Torre isn't good to our team!!! what he shows up for us in this last seasons? Probably nothing.

Joe Girardi, won's to us in '96, '98 '99, three WS rings, and he is the mand of the job!!!

I hope i'm rigth, if not, decaptation!!!

A-Rod, good, but i think him want something better, and it will not find better then Yankees!!! The Yankees are better, ask for all!!! The moust famous team of MLB on the world.

Joe Torre isn't good to our team!!! what he shows up for us in this last seasons? Probably nothing.

Joe Girardi, won's to us in '96, '98 '99, three WS rings, and he is the mand of the job!!!

I hope i'm rigth, if not, decaptation!!!

Perrone, I am just curious what you found necessary to edit in that last post.

Yanks have very good young pitching...that is the last area they need to visit in Free Agency unless Mo walks. The Yanks must address their lack of RH hitting.

The starting rotation even without Andy should be fine.

The Yankees will go as far as the young kids take them next year. If Jaba is what they think he can be and Hughes is as well they will be in good shape. To have two pitchers in those guys to go with Wang and hopefully Pettite, that is good. Add in Kennedy or Moose for the 5th spot and it is a rotation that will only get better over time.

Michael Kay said Jaba will be the # 1 starter next year. It is a lot to ask at a young age but he looks legit.

The RH bat is a problem. They should also get rid of either Damon or Matsui. They are the same thing. Personally I would bring Giambi back to DH. I wanted to get rid of him but his upside is high and he is under contract. Just keep him away from 1B.

The Yankees will go as far as the young kids take them next year. If Jaba is what they think he can be and Hughes is as well they will be in good shape. To have two pitchers in those guys to go with Wang and hopefully Pettite, that is good. Add in Kennedy or Moose for the 5th spot and it is a rotation that will only get better over time.

Michael Kay said Jaba will be the # 1 starter next year. It is a lot to ask at a young age but he looks legit.

The RH bat is a problem. They should also get rid of either Damon or Matsui. They are the same thing. Personally I would bring Giambi back to DH. I wanted to get rid of him but his upside is high and he is under contract. Just keep him away from 1B.

Giambi's upside is nothing imo. He's dead weight. I'd see to move Matsui as well.

Generation K!!!

Oh......

Giambi's upside is nothing imo. He's dead weight. I'd see to move Matsui as well.

Well with Giambi if the choice was to let him DH when he was healthy and pay him either way, I would just as soon as keep him and let him DH.

Matsui is a solid player who I would keep as Yanks need his power with ARod gone and he usually handles lefties. If Melky is the CF a Damon for Joe Crede trade wouldn't be that bad. They could keep Giambi at DH and give Duncan a shot at the everyday 1B job.

Betemit provides depth at both spots.

That would make for a nice line-up as Crede would give you 25-30 HR's and very good defense. If Posada signs the team would be set positional wise and would have power coming from Abreu-Matsui-Giambi-Posada-Cano- Crede- Duncan.

If the Yanks prefer Damon I think Melky and a prospect might get a Crede deal done.

A-Rod's 2007 Season Statistics: .324 BA, 54 HRs, 158 RBIs, 24 SBs, .645 SLG

yeah sure there won't be a huge drop-off at third from those stats. :rolleyes:

But look at his #s in the 6th inning. Not the 6th and beyond, in the 6th itself. He hits .200 points lower in the 6th. With closers and speciality relievers coming in for 7, 8 and 9 -- inning 6 is where it is at.

He failed. Everyone knows the battle is won and lost in the 6th. Get him out of here.

:lies:

Matsui is a solid player who I would keep as Yanks need his power with ARod gone and he usually handles lefties. If Melky is the CF a Damon for Joe Crede trade wouldn't be that bad.

Damon's defense, even without an arm in LF is SOOO much better than Matsui's, that I would hesitate to trade Damon, unless we thought we had another option in LF.

They could keep Giambi at DH and give Duncan a shot at the everyday 1B job.

Giambi has enough power to be a DH. He has a good eye, and he walks a lot. That said, he is the absolute slowest pro athlete in any sport, and is a liability on the base paths. Our Offense is actually better without him, because he holds up base runners behind him -- negating any benefit from his walking. Basically, I wouldn't want Giambi as an every-day player. Sorry.

As for S.Duncan, HE could be the everyday DH, if Matsui isn't, but I don't think he is a much better defensive 1B than Giambi.

That would make for a nice line-up as Crede would give you 25-30 HR's and very good defense.

I have no issue with Crede.

If the Yanks prefer Damon I think Melky and a prospect might get a Crede deal done.

I think the Yankees would rather trade Damon, but frankly, I don't think Damon will be on the block. He is good for the clubhouse, and he is still our best leadoff option.

---

How about these options, suggested by Sportsline's rumor mill:

Aaron Boone (welcome back?) -- FA

Pedro Feliz -- FA

Aramis Ramirez -- trade

Um.. Is Michael Kay actively trying to kill his credibility or is he just a homer? Joba is a great pitcher, but he's got a LOT of work to do before he can be a #1 starter. Like maybe developing a changeup.

Giambi has enough power to be a DH. He has a good eye, and he walks a lot. That said, he is the absolute slowest pro athlete in any sport, and is a liability on the base paths. Our Offense is actually better without him, because he holds up base runners behind him -- negating any benefit from his walking. Basically, I wouldn't want Giambi as an every-day player. Sorry.

This is the stuff thatmakes madmikes blood boil. I love it.

You're absolutely dead on.

Damon's defense, even without an arm in LF is SOOO much better than Matsui's, that I would hesitate to trade Damon, unless we thought we had another option in LF.

As for S.Duncan, HE could be the everyday DH, if Matsui isn't, but I don't think he is a much better defensive 1B than Giambi.

I have no issue with Crede.

I think the Yankees would rather trade Damon, but frankly, I don't think Damon will be on the block. He is good for the clubhouse, and he is still our best leadoff option.

---

How about these options, suggested by Sportsline's rumor mill:

Aaron Boone (welcome back?) -- FA

Pedro Feliz -- FA

Aramis Ramirez -- trade

I think Giambi's contract makes him tough to trade or bench......he will be the DH next season.

Aramis just signed a 75 mill contract last year and not sure the Cubs would part with him.

It would definitely cost Hughes or Chamberlain plus to have the Cubs even listen unless they have soured on him.

If Giambi-Abreu-Damon-Melky all remain , I guess Matsui is the trade chip and lots of teams would take him. I don't see the Yanks moving him though due to his skills and Japanese market value.

Um.. Is Michael Kay actively trying to kill his credibility or is he just a homer? Joba is a great pitcher, but he's got a LOT of work to do before he can be a #1 starter. Like maybe developing a changeup.

Jaba changes speeds well, especially for someone his age. That is why people are projecting him to be so good.

Matsui is a solid player who I would keep as Yanks need his power with ARod gone and he usually handles lefties. If Melky is the CF a Damon for Joe Crede trade wouldn't be that bad. They could keep Giambi at DH and give Duncan a shot at the everyday 1B job.

Betemit provides depth at both spots.

That would make for a nice line-up as Crede would give you 25-30 HR's and very good defense. If Posada signs the team would be set positional wise and would have power coming from Abreu-Matsui-Giambi-Posada-Cano- Crede- Duncan.

Crede will be a FA after he's non tendered. But he sucks.

Jaba changes speeds well, especially for someone his age. That is why people are projecting him to be so good.

I have never seen him start a Major League Baseball game. I'm sure he will translate what he was doing to what they want him to do well over the course of a full season, but to fully plant him as the #1 pitcher so soon would place a lot of unnecessary burden on someone so young. Who is going to be the Yankees pitching coach next season? That will weigh heavily on how quickly Joba picks up starting again and changing his whole attitude, warm-up habits, and pitching decisions.

Yeah. Because it's complete and utter BS. The idea that it's possible for a player to "clog of the bases" is about the most moronic thing i've ever heard in my life.

Explain how its moronic.

You dont think Giambi being slow hinders the people behind him from scoring? This is pretty logical.

A guy like Damon walking is more valuable than having Giambi walk.

Explain how its moronic.

You dont think Giambi being slow hinders the people behind him from scoring? This is pretty logical.

A guy like Damon walking is more valuable than having Giambi walk.

because there is no evidence that a player's speed or lack thereof takes away for their ability to keep from making out. something giambi is VERY good at.

yeah i mean you watched a few games so you obviously know exactly how to put a player's value into context with every other player.

Watched every game. Im a pretty decent evaluator of talent.

Has anyone ever met one of these saber geeks in real life? Mike you must be the life of the party.

Watched every game. Im a pretty decent evaluator of talent.

Has anyone ever met one of these saber geeks in real life? Mike you must be the life of the party.

No you're not. And anyone to claims to be able to contextualize players by watching games has no idea what they are talking about.

No you're not. And anyone to claims to be able to contextualize players by watching games has no idea what they are talking about.

Ok, so scouts/evaluators should no longer attend or watch games. Just make a judgement calculating box scores. Ok. Great idea.

And you havent explained a thing.

Why doesnt speed contribute to gauging how good ofa player someone is? You think Carl Crawford minus his speed is nearly as good as he is with Giambi's speed?

Ask Dave Roberts and the 04 Yankees if speed plays a role.

This is so absurd I shouldnt even acknowledge it.

Archived