ARod is Opting out of his contract

Smizzy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boston Red Sox.

Team of the 21st century.

I think there are quite a few years to go before you make such a statement.

As far as Arod goes, I will say it again. NY was an assembly line for WS rings before he came. We haven't won crap since he got here. If anything, he has been a cancer in the clubhouse with all the crap he has brought around there. I hope he takes his circus show on the road . I can guarantee you one thing. If he thought it was bad in 2006 when I boo'ed him for an entore game when he struck out 3 times here in Anaheim. he is going to be in for a treat. I will be in those same seats 4 rows up from third....reminding him of what a choking loser he is. He will retire like Ted Williams. All numbers, and no rings.....along with a history of poor play when it counted the most.

If I sound pissed I'm not. I'm physically sick to my stomach to see Yankee mediocre play.

Smizzy, Max, Bob, barton, and other Yanks/Jets fans...

Does it get much lower than this?

Boston wins the series

Arod opts out

Jets fall to 1-7

...all on the same day?

To add to that:

Torre is gone

The status of Mo, Posada, and Pettitte are unclear

The Jets may not win again this year

:bag:

If he opts out so be it. I would love to have him back. He is the greatest player of this generation. But pitching wins championships. The only balls he threw this year were to a stripper in Toronto.

So if he wants to go -- nice knowing ya.

Pitching and a little clutch october hitting and he does neither. God riddance.

Boston wins the series

Arod opts out

Jets fall to 1-7

...all on the same day?

To add to that:

Torre is gone

You forgot the Pats probably going 16-0 and definitely winning another ring.

In a sense I don't blame him for leaving. There is going to be alot of change in the Bronx in the next couple of years. With Torre already gone, the futures of guys like Mo, Pettitte and Posada up in the air right now I can understand why he would opt out.

If it was that.

My guess is that he and Boras think

1) They can get a better deal.

2) The Yankees will never be officially out of anything.

What the Yankees say now may not be the same thing they say in December.

Let the bidding begin.

Ha, I suppose A-Rod timed it that way to detract from the Sawx story. Pretty funny.

Well if the yankees had anything to do with it (and I can't imagine they did), but shame on them if they did.

I think this was all Boras.

The move is being panned across the media. Gammons is livid and Mike & Mike are all over it today.

Well if the yankees had anything to do with it (and I can't imagine they did), but shame on them if they did.

I think this was all Boras.

The move is being panned across the media. Gammons is livid and Mike & Mike are all over it today.

Is Boras a Sawx hater, too? Does he not have any clients on the sox?

Anyway, they are talking about A-Rod and the timing, not the Sawx, so mission accomplished for them, i guess.

Boston wins the series

Arod opts out

Jets fall to 1-7

...all on the same day?

To add to that:

Torre is gone

ehhhh, I can see this year as a year of transition for both of my teams (Jets & Yankees). So I can see plenty of positives.

Both franchises needed to make some big switches (Chad to Clemens) and (Torre to Girardi, as well as letting Arod go), and I am happy to see all those moves have been made.

I honestly do not care about Arod opting out.

All we need to do is get production from parts of the team that did not produce well last year (like 1st base, and LF). I believe Abreu and Cano will have big seasons next year and we'll be fine. Pitching and Pitching, not Arod - that is what is important.

Sox win the world series. Dont really care as they're just another team that is not the Yankees.

In a sense I don't blame him for leaving. There is going to be alot of change in the Bronx in the next couple of years. With Torre already gone, the futures of guys like Mo, Pettitte and Posada up in the air right now I can understand why he would opt out.

If it was that.

My guess is that he and Boras think

1) They can get a better deal.

2) The Yankees will never be officially out of anything.

What the Yankees say now may not be the same thing they say in December.

Let the bidding begin.

One thing that's bizarre-Yankees, in order to get draft picks should he sign with another team, have to offer him arbitration. In theory, A-rod could not get any offers he likes, and have an arbitrator determine his salary with the Yankees, with Boras demanding a high number and the Yanks demanding a low one and the arbitrator picking one or the other.Baseball arbitration doesn't allow the arbitrator to split the difference(the NHL does) just an either/or choice.

One thing that's bizarre-Yankees, in order to get draft picks should he sign with another team, have to offer him arbitration. In theory, A-rod could not get any offers he likes, and have an arbitrator determine his salary with the Yankees, with Boras demanding a high number and the Yanks demanding a low one and the arbitrator picking one or the other.Baseball arbitration doesn't allow the arbitrator to split the difference(the NHL does) just an either/or choice.

Is this true? A player that opts out of a contract is arbritration eligible?

I thought this applied only to players that had not reached FA eligibility through years of service, or whose contract expired.

Is this true? A player that opts out of a contract is arbritration eligible?

I thought this applied only to players that had not reached FA eligibility through years of service, or whose contract expired.

He is opting out, but still, to get the picks, you have to offer arbitraion. Why would this be any different?I'm assuming, but don't know, why this would not be any different. He's essentially choosing to end this contract. Again, I'm assuming he'd still have to refuse arbitration, and I have no idea what the deadlines are for that.

He is opting out, but still, to get the picks, you have to offer arbitraion. Why would this be any different?I'm assuming, but don't know, why this would not be any different. He's essentially choosing to end this contract. Again, I'm assuming he'd still have to refuse arbitration, and I have no idea what the deadlines are for that.

Just by my own interpretation (be careful with that), I would think that there is a differnce between a contract ending, and a contract being opted out of.

Again, I am not sure.

No, once he opts out of the contract you are not entitled to picks. Opting out is a process that is bargained for and there for avails the club of any arbitration solution. It would be the same if Petitte does not take the player option. The yanks would not have any draft picks from that scenario as well.

What the picks are for are when you have a player that has played for you and he is arbitration eligible (meaning you could offer arbitration or refuse to offer it. If you do not offer arbitration the player becomes an instant Free agent). A-Rod is not arbitration eligible and neither is Pettite.

LL

No, once he opts out of the contract you are not entitled to picks. Opting out is a process that is bargained for and there for avails the club of any arbitration solution. It would be the same if Petitte does not take the player option. The yanks would not have any draft picks from that scenario as well.

What the picks are for are when you have a player that has played for you and he is arbitration eligible (meaning you could offer arbitration or refuse to offer it. If you do not offer arbitration the player becomes an instant Free agent). A-Rod is not arbitration eligible and neither is Pettite.

LL

Thanks for the clarification.

Still, if A-rod signs with another team, don't the Yanks get that team's 1st rounser and a sandwich round pick(between the 1st and 2nd rounds)?

Thanks for the clarification.

Still, if A-rod signs with another team, don't the Yanks get that team's 1st rounser and a sandwich round pick(between the 1st and 2nd rounds)?

I thought that only worked if the arbitration process was applied. That is why the arbitration point is important.

I don'tt hink it is as black and white a LL layed out here. I have found cases where a team has declined options, then offered arbitration, and received a pick.

I can't see anybody spending that kind of money on him.

For a while there it looked like the Yankees were bidding against themselves, like usual.

Trust me, Boras has his ducks lined up on this, and knows what the market will bear. I am sure he has at least one bidder lined up.

A-Rod used to say that he would take less money to sign with the Mets than anyone else :)

They did it not to hate the Sox, they could care less, but to increase the signing price I think.

I think Gammons is right. "Buyer beware."

The timing of this whole thing is ridculous. It's amazing the egos on Scott Boras and Alex Rodriguez. He has to be bigger than any team winning the World Series. Hell, he's trying to be bigger than the game itself. I do not want any part of him on my team. Bring back Lowell for much less money and many more rings.

Trust me, Boras has his ducks lined up on this, and knows what the market will bear. I am sure he has at least one bidder lined up.

A-Rod used to say that he would take less money to sign with the Mets than anyone else :)

Red Sox? Lowell is out.

I can't see the White Sox or Cubs ponying up that much money.

LA? Anaheim? ??

This is $30 mil we're talking about here. Most these teams don't have anyone signed over $15

Red Sox? Lowell is out.

I can't see the White Sox or Cubs ponying up that much money.

LA? Anaheim? ??

This is $30 mil we're talking about here. Most these teams don't have anyone signed over $15

A very strong case can be made for 10 or so clubs that signing A-Rod can make real strong financial sense. If he remains healthy, A-Rod will break almost every hitters record during this contract ter,.

That means $$$$$ for teh signing club. Same thing Bonds did with the Giants. As much as they probably abhored his existence toward the end of that contract, the $$$$ appeal is strictly too strong.

Say A-Rod signs a 10 year contract, the chances are that that contract will be outdated in its terms by the end of teh contract. Or at least competitive.

Boston wins the series

Arod opts out

Jets fall to 1-7

...all on the same day?

To add to that:

Torre is gone

You forgot the Pats probably going 16-0 and definitely winning another ring.

And to compound this further, like someone said in another thread... the only win the Dolphins will have this year will be against the Jets. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

If he opts out so be it. I would love to have him back. He is the greatest player of this generation. But pitching wins championships. The only balls he threw this year were to a stripper in Toronto.

So if he wants to go -- nice knowing ya.

Eh, there goes our clean-up hitter. We really don't have anyone else who plugs right in there.

I like how Borass said "I hope the Yankees will still enter the bidding for ARod". What a pair of balls this POS has. After he $&*% them in the rear . I just hope the Yankees stick to their guns tell Borass just where he can stick it.

A- FREAKING - MEN !!! For once I want to see Von Steingrabber to stick by his guns. I am sure that 90% of Yankee fans are behind him on this one.

I like how Borass said "I hope the Yankees will still enter the bidding for ARod". What a pair of balls this POS has. After he $&*% them in the rear . I just hope the Yankees stick to their guns tell Borass just where he can stick it.

He did what was best for his client.

Allowing the Yanks to have exclusive negotiating rites to A-Rod does not serve his client. I think is foolish for the Yankees to draw that line in the sand.

Who are they going to rebuild around? Jeter? Tori Hunter?

Yanks better hope those young guns MadMike worships come through. Otherwise, the Yankees are going to struggle to hold off Toronto.

Archived