Simeon Rice Released by Broncos

Irish Jet

You had to know this post was coming....

And per the McFadden sig.. you have to be nuts. Great player, sure, but RB is not the problem on this team. We could use some defenders. I'd deal down and acquire picks if there are takers.

And per the McFadden sig.. you have to be nuts. Great player, sure, but RB is not the problem on this team. We could use some defenders. I'd deal down and acquire picks if there are takers.

Your kidding right ?

Nope.. not at all.

A running back isn't going to stop the run, or open up holes in the offensive line.

Revis DROY? hahah.. How about Pass Interference machine? (Im kidding.. well sort of)

In my opinion CB is probably the hardest position to play as a rookie, hell it's the hardest to play period. But McFadden would change this offense completely, he can easily come and make this a balance offense. I agree with you tho, we need to find someone to stop the run, I'd prefer we do that in free agency.

He runs too upright imho

t1_mcfadden.jpg

You're going to get killed here for daring to criticize the "obvious" choice.

Forget that we have two HB's already under contract. Forget that one of them is barely halfway into year ONE of his 4-year deal. Forget that we gave him $12M up front and gave up the equivalent of a day-one pick for him. Forget that there are about 10 players to find at positions where we DON'T have someone suitable in place...don't you know that a skinny halfback with Todd Pinkston legs is going to turn this whole team around? We can find a NT, DE, ILB, OLB, 2nd CB, FS, RG, LG, RT, and slot WR in "the later rounds" with great ease. What we need is a third halfback for $50M.

You're going to get killed here for daring to criticize the "obvious" choice.

Forget that we have two HB's already under contract. Forget that one of them is barely halfway into year ONE of his 4-year deal. Forget that we gave him $12M up front and gave up the equivalent of a day-one pick for him. Forget that there are about 10 players to find at positions where we DON'T have someone suitable in place...don't you know that a skinny halfback with Todd Pinkston legs is going to turn this whole team around? We can find a NT, DE, ILB, OLB, 2nd CB, FS, RG, LG, RT, and slot WR in "the later rounds" with great ease. What we need is a third halfback for $50M.

Yes, we should pass on this all-time great talent because we already have a mediocre player at the same position making a ton of money. Everyone knows 30-year old running backs last forever. It's even better when they were never very good to begin with.

Instead, I think we should take a 3-4 DE, because you can't find them anywhere except the top of round one. Either that, or we should take a 340 pound mammoth beast that doesn't currently exist. Or, we could spend a 3rd first round pick in three years on an offensive lineman, because you can never get them in later rounds, ever.

Yes, we should pass on this all-time great talent because we already have a mediocre player at the same position making a ton of money. Everyone knows 30-year old running backs last forever. It's even better when they were never very good to begin with.

Instead, I think we should take a 3-4 DE, because you can't find them anywhere except the top of round one. Either that, or we should take a 340 pound mammoth beast that doesn't currently exist. Or, we could spend a 3rd first round pick in three years on an offensive lineman, because you can never get them in later rounds, ever.

That's just the thing. You have no idea if he's going to be anything close to an all-time great at RB. I was also supposed to believe that Michael Vick was going to be this all-time great who was going to re-write all the record books. Fastest runner with the strongest arm. Can't miss, right?

Who was more "can't miss" than Reggie Bush? Talented as he is, the man cannot be relied on to just run forward when that's what's there or accomplish the monumental task of finishing a season above the league average in yards per carry (forget about being at or near the top).

Same thing with:

2006: Matt "can't miss prospect" Leinart

2004: Eli "stronger arm than Peyton" Manning

2003: Charles "the best WR prospect to come out since Randy Moss" Rogers

2003: Dewayne "the bowling ball with butcher knives" Robertson

2002: David "the obvious choice" Carr

2001: Michael "best QB talent to come out - ever" Vick

2000: Peter "best overall prospect in the draft" Warrick

1999: Tim Couch - the best QB prospect in the "best QB draft since 1983"

1998: Ryan Leaf - at worst, after Manning was a "no brainer" - people had no idea how true that was for the wrong reason

All-time talents one & all. You laugh at it now b/c you now know perfectly well they aren't anywhere near all-time talents. But I heard the same stuff spewing out with regard to one of these players every single year. That THIS player's different. THIS time it's REALLY the real deal.

And next year they'll say the same thing about someone else. And the year after that, and the year after that. And teams will continue to win superbowls without these "can't miss"/"can't pass up" prospects year after year. Meanwhile, these worst teams will continue to doll out their franchise's largest contracts to rookies.

I'm not in love with Jones. Far, far from it. But I'm not sold that this particular upgrade, at this particular time, is the only ticket to a superbowl. I don't think you build around a RB. I think you insert a RB after everything around him is built -- particularly if there are already two of them under contract for the next 2-3 years. And in the 2009 or 2010 off-season we'll find someone else. In the 2007 off-season I think it's a luxury. Its the easiest to find position but also the easiest to get injured. Is it the easiest thing to find the next Tomlinson? No. Who gives a crap? Only ring on his finger is his wedding band. Ricky Williams had that kind of all-time-great talent as well.

There are far more glaring, more immediate, and more difficult-to-fill holes than halfback. Stick your head in the sand & wish that every one of them can be filled adequately with 4 mid/late-round picks. The price of being anything other than 100% correct at #2 or #3 overall is too great now that these guys are commanding signing bonuses approaching $30M. At least to me it is.

He is not guaranteed anything other than being a high-profile prospect.

Dude, its my opinion, lay the **** off.

That's just the thing. You have no idea if he's going to be anything close to an all-time great at RB. I was also supposed to believe that Michael Vick was going to be this all-time great who was going to re-write all the record books. Fastest runner with the strongest arm. Can't miss, right?

Who was more "can't miss" than Reggie Bush? Talented as he is, the man cannot be relied on to just run forward when that's what's there or accomplish the monumental task of finishing a season above the league average in yards per carry (forget about being at or near the top).

Same thing with:

1998: Ryan Leaf - at worst, after Manning was a "no brainer" - people had no idea how true that was for the wrong reason

All-time talents one & all. You laugh at it now b/c you now know perfectly well they aren't anywhere near all-time talents. But I heard the same stuff spewing out with regard to one of these players every single year. That THIS player's different. THIS time it's REALLY the real deal.

And next year they'll say the same thing about someone else. And the year after that, and the year after that. And teams will continue to win superbowls without these "can't miss"/"can't pass up" prospects year after year. Meanwhile, these worst teams will continue to doll out their franchise's largest contracts to rookies.

I'm not in love with Jones. Far, far from it. But I'm not sold that this particular upgrade, at this particular time, is the only ticket to a superbowl. I don't think you build around a RB. I think you insert a RB after everything around him is built. And in the 2009 or 2010 off-season we'll find someone else. In the 2007 off-season I think it's a luxury. They're the easiest to find but also the easiest to get injured. Is it the easiest thing to find the next Tomlinson? No. Who gives a crap? Only ring on his finger is his wedding band. Ricky Williams had that kind of all-time-great talent as well.

There are far more glaring, more immediate, and more difficult-to-fill holes than halfback. Stick your head in the sand & wish that every one of them can be filled adequately with 4 mid/late-round picks. The price of being anything other than 100% correct at #2 or #3 overall is too great now that these guys are commanding signing bonuses approaching $30M. At least to me it is.

Sperm I can't argue with anything you have said above, the problem is, everyone else in football knows it to.

This is a very bad year to be one of the worst teams in football. If they can find a team that is willing to trade down for McFadden, I would do it in a heart beat.

I don't think they will be able to find anyone. If that is the case, and no one bites on a trade, what are they going to do?

Give monster money to a LT, who is going to be playing RT?

A LB whose value is about 10 spots above where he will be taken? A solid, but undersized 3-4 DE?

If they are stuck with a top 5 pick, and I mean stuck, they almost have to take McFadden. He is the only one who might have enough value to warrant that kind of money. Maybe.

To make matters worst, NE might be picking infront of us, and will take who we want.

It's just the Jets luck to have such an early pick with a weak top end of the draft.

If someone is willing to make a trade............. great.

Sperm I can't argue with anything you have said above, the problem is, everyone else in football knows it to.

This is a very bad year to be one of the worst teams in football. If they can find a team that is willing to trade down for McFadden, I would do it in a heart beat.

I don't think they will be able to find anyone. If that is the case, and no one bites on a trade, what are they going to do?

Give monster money to a LT, who is going to be playing RT?

A LB whose value is about 10 spots above where he will be taken? A solid, but undersized 3-4 DE?

If they are stuck with a top 5 pick, and I mean stuck, they almost have to take McFadden. He is the only one who might have enough value to warrant that kind of money. Maybe.

To make matters worst, NE might be picking infront of us, and will take who we want.

It's just the Jets luck to have such an early pick with a weak top end of the draft.

If someone is willing to make a trade............. great.

I hear you, but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. There were a scarce few "can't miss" prospects in 2003 & Dumbway/Herm still gave up two firsts and a 4th to move up to #4 for DSlob.

Just because we're not looking for a LT like Jake Long doesn't mean no one else is.

Chris Long is not undersized for RDE even in the 3-4. Last thing I saw had him listed at 6'4/284. Same friggin' size as Jarvis Green & Brett Keisel who've been manning the position on NE & Pittsburgh. Castillo on SD is 290. I hardly think that coming out of college 6 lbs less than Castillo is 3 years out of college makes Long undersized.

This doesn't mean I'm saying we should take CL and no one else either. Just remember how "dumb" we were called by some for not trading #4, #29 and #35 for one Reggie Bush, who was "the best RB prospect since Barry Sanders" if I recall.

See what's out there. Also we haven't even seen the combine yet. I don't think anyone had Vernon Davis as a near top-5 pick until he ran that sick 40 time. Lots can change. LenDale White was supposed to be a top-10 pick this time in 2006, as was Maurice Drew. Addai was a 2nd-3rd-round prospect to most, as was Cutler.

My point is only that it's too early to say ANY college player is anything close to a "no brainer" to take a halfback with the 3rd overall pick that we don't even have yet.

See what FA's are still available March 2nd.

See who we get.

See who we trade & what we get for them.

See what holes we then have left.

Then determine if we have this luxury. And it IS a luxury, not a requirement.

Sure thing, I won't partake in any more discussion on the discussion boards ever again.

Discussion boards are for discussion/debate, not just stating your opinion and having it be law.

It has nothing to do with the board, you just attacked my Sig and Ghosts. What's is the point in that???

It has nothing to do with the board, you just attacked my Sig and Ghosts. What's is the point in that???

A Signature is a form of opinion, just like anything else. Whatever the heck a ghost is Ihave no idea.

Either way, McFadden is an awful idea.... Disagreeing with someone's opinion and attacking it are 2 different things. You're entitled to have a wrong opinion every now and again. :)

A Signature is a form of opinion, just like anything else. Whatever the heck a ghost is Ihave no idea.

Either way, McFadden is an awful idea.... Disagreeing with someone's opinion and attacking it are 2 different things. You're entitled to have a wrong opinion every now and again. :)

I just thought it was weird to have my sig attacked in this thread. Maybe in a thread in which involves discussion about McFadden. He's gonna prove yo ass wrong anyways so it dont matter.;-)

this team needs explosion plays

RUN DMC fits the bill

Let's all face it the talent blows, we need everything!!

Take BAP and i believe DMC will be the BAP when our turn comes

IF pats get him, won't matter what Jets do, we will be screwed 4ever

you can bank on that.

this team needs explosion plays

RUN DMC fits the bill

Let's all face it the talent blows, we need everything!!

Take BAP and i believe DMC will be the BAP when our turn comes

IF pats get him, won't matter what Jets do, we will be screwed 4ever

you can bank on that.

This team needs explosion plays because our D can't st anybody!!!

How about fixing the problem instead of sticking bubble gum in the whole!

This team needs explosion plays because our D can't st anybody!!!

How about fixing the problem instead of sticking bubble gum in the whole!

Look, there arent any other great options this year. If we ran a 4-3 D I think we'd be crazy to pass on Dorsey if available. The problem is there arent any good enough player in position of need. There's a certain balance when it comes to BAP and need and IMO we go after the most talented player available. IMO thats DMC, then we can focus on the D.

No matter we do this off-season our D is not going to be great next year. If we draft Mcfadden and address the O-line I honestly believe our offence can be one of the best in the league next season assuming Clemens is as good as I think he'll be. The stepping stone will then be in place so we can then focus on the D, in other words drafting McFadden will get us closer to being a great team than drafting need.

I'm going to watch Howie Long's kid play tonite, and see how he does.

if the jets can snare a great DL with NFL blood in his genes, that wouldnt be too bad.

At this point, who to draft isnt written in stone.

Agreed, although my Sig states 'draft Mcfadden' it is certainly subject to change.;-)

I'm going to watch Howie Long's kid play tonite, and see how he does.

if the jets can snare a great DL with NFL blood in his genes, that wouldnt be too bad.

At this point, who to draft isnt written in stone.

True Jetcane - still lots of time for evaluation on who to target exactly- we have many needs to fill.

I just thought it was weird to have my sig attacked in this thread. Maybe in a thread in which involves discussion about McFadden. He's gonna prove yo ass wrong anyways so it dont matter.;-)

I think we need to do some work on your definition of "attacked"...

We cant continue to draft for Need though Faba. IMO its time to get some talent on this team.

I don't know, when Blair Thomas came out, I was nuts over him. Especially being a Penn State fan. I definately thought he was a sure thing. Others here would or should agree about that. when he flopped, now I'm iffy about drafting a RB so high!

Same thing with:

I'm not in love with Jones. Far, far from it. But I'm not sold that this particular upgrade, at this particular time, is the only ticket to a superbowl. I don't think you build around a RB. I think you insert a RB after everything around him is built -- particularly if there are already two of them under contract for the next 2-3 years. And in the 2009 or 2010 off-season we'll find someone else. In the 2007 off-season I think it's a luxury. Its the easiest to find position but also the easiest to get injured. Is it the easiest thing to find the next Tomlinson? No. Who gives a crap? Only ring on his finger is his wedding band. Ricky Williams had that kind of all-time-great talent as well.

I am not sure where you are getting this idea that the people that want McFadden believe it will turn the team into instant Super Bowl contenders. There is not a player on the face of the Earth that could do that for the Jets besides Manning or Brady.

You list all these busts that supposed had once in a lifetime talent (Matt Leinart and D-Rob??? Are you ****ting me?), but you don't mention the guys that worked out. I don't have time to look through past drafts, so I'll just list two: LaDainian Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson.

Sperm, how are we going to fill these more glaring, more immediate, and more difficult holes with the first round pick? By drafting a defensive end that won't rush the passer? By drafting an invisible nose tackle that currently doesn't exist? By drafting Jake Long and moving him to right tackle? It's real easy to say "trade down!" but it doesn't work like that. I rarely ever remember the Jets trading down and the last time I recall it, we ended up with a kicker and a third-string tight end.

You say it's a must to be 100% correct with the second or third pick? I agree. An easy way of ensuring that would be to draft the best prospect in the entire ****ing draft.

I am not sure where you are getting this idea that the people that want McFadden believe it will turn the team into instant Super Bowl contenders. There is not a player on the face of the Earth that could do that for the Jets besides Manning or Brady.

You list all these busts that supposed had once in a lifetime talent (Matt Leinart and D-Rob??? Are you ****ting me?), but you don't mention the guys that worked out. I don't have time to look through past drafts, so I'll just list two: LaDainian Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson.

Sperm, how are we going to fill these more glaring, more immediate, and more difficult holes with the first round pick? By drafting a defensive end that won't rush the passer? By drafting an invisible nose tackle that currently doesn't exist? By drafting Jake Long and moving him to right tackle? It's real easy to say "trade down!" but it doesn't work like that. I rarely ever remember the Jets trading down and the last time I recall it, we ended up with a kicker and a third-string tight end.

You say it's a must to be 100% correct with the second or third pick? I agree. An easy way of ensuring that would be to draft the best prospect in the entire ****ing draft.

the Chargers basically did what you are saying the Jets should do. They took the stud RB (by trading down, and aquiring picks), but then had to wait for nearly 5 seasons before they were a very competitive team. They didn't become competitive because of LT, they got there by filling in NT, their D-ends, good offensive line, an all pro TE.

If we do take McFadden, we will have to sit through countless ****ty seasons to fill in around him. What if that takes more than 5 years? McFadden could want out of new york so bad that we never have him when we are actually good.

I say pass on McFadden, load up picks, build a team.

the Chargers basically did what you are saying the Jets should do. They took the stud RB (by trading down, and aquiring picks), but then had to wait for nearly 5 seasons before they were a very competitive team. They didn't become competitive because of LT, they got there by filling in NT, their D-ends, good offensive line, an all pro TE.

If we do take McFadden, we will have to sit through countless ****ty seasons to fill in around him. What if that takes more than 5 years? McFadden could want out of new york so bad that we never have him when we are actually good.

I say pass on McFadden, load up picks, build a team.

The Chargers traded down to a top 5 pick, and managed to get another top 10 pick the following year on both those trades I believe. I know the Eli trade they took Rivers with the #4 and then had another high pick, which they used on Merriman. But if you take LT off that team they don't even win 6 games a season. Rivers certainly isn't going to be winning any games for the team, and steroid boy had a hand in giving up 300 rushing yards so he certainly isn't winning those games either.

So what are the chances that we net two top 10 first round picks? If we can get a top 5 and a top 10 for the pick yeah fine i guess we can do it, but we damn well better get an LT out of it or else we are not going to come out ahead. Instead we'll probably get a D-Rob, Vilma, or Brick again. Do you honestly think that compares to grabbing LT, Rivers and Merriman? I don't know who else they used a high pick on but even just those 3 absolutely kills what we've done in the past, and what usually happens on a trade down.

Archived