Jets defense: night and day

Jet Moses

In the first 8 games, the Jets defense had a total of 9 sacks. Against the Steelers, they had 7.

So...

Is it the Steelers offensive line is sh*t, or is it these guys did your usual "we better show up, jobs are on the line" song and dance?

Or is it something else?

Yeah, I mentioned this in another thread...maybe this staff needs nine games plus a bye week to figure things out...:confused:

Who knows.. Maybe it was the bye game and extra week of preparation... Maybe it was partially because the Steelers O-Line has been bad most of this season.

It could have been a combo of a lot of things. We'll see this week if it was a one game fluke or a good sign of things to come.

In the first 8 games, the Jets defense had a total of 9 sacks. Against the Steelers, they had 7.

So...

Is it the Steelers offensive line is sh*t, or is it these guys did your usual "we better show up, jobs are on the line" song and dance?

Or is it something else?

This is something we have seen since the Herm error.

Give Mangini two weeks and he come up with something that the opponent hadn't seen before.

The "we better show up, jobs are on the line song and dance" though is pretty much a spot on quote. Apparently though Bryan Thomas didn't get the message since he continues to be a non-factor since getting that new deal.

Sadly I think this is a one week deal. The Jets will probably go back to the way they played the first 9 games on Thursday.

Miami and maybe KC (which could very well be on the verge of collapse) might be the only games left where they keep it close let alone win.

Steelers' line is nowhere near as good as their reputation. Their fans are up in arms. Simmons stinks. Mahan is even worse. Colon is probably better-suited to RG than RT, and they have Starks on the bench. Smith is just ok this year. Faneca isn't nearly the dominant guard he once was. One doesn't know if he's mailing it in (though he doesn't seem like the type) or it's just that he has to cover his man and whiff blocks against Mahan's guy as well (after Mahan gets shoved aside).

This doesn't take away from the solid game the D put together. Pittsburgh didn't exactly have a bottom-ranked offense coming into the game. Willie Parker must have been licking his chops at the prospect of matching up against the Jets' sorry run defense.

Agreed.

When your leading tackler has started just 4 games someone missed the boat on starting this guy from day 1.

I was saying very early in the season that this guy should be starting. I didn't care if they sat Vilma or Barton, just start this guy. Somebody countered by pointing out how he misplayed a screen pass as proof that he wasn't ready. Aren't message boards great? :P

I was saying very early in the season that this guy should be starting. I didn't care if they sat Vilma or Barton, just start this guy. Somebody countered by pointing out how he misplayed a screen pass as proof that he wasn't ready. Aren't message boards great? :P

Yeah Yeah ok you got me on that one. ;)

So...

Or is it something else?

After watching this replay today JM-I say it's a few players who weren't there last month making a difference

First and foremost it all starts with David Harris-who is as good as John Abraham was HIS rookie year-best Jets LBer I've seen maybe since the 80's-he is the straw that stirs the drink-he's THAT good

Second-David Bowens-finally getting some PT other than ST's he played like a maniac-jumping over guys

Thirdly-CJ Mosely and Mike DeVito are both very quick vertical rushers

and Fourth-having the defense lined up in the 4-3

none of these guys were playing a month ago JM

So...

Or is it something else?

Actually, I find it a little disturbing. They were doing stuff like this last year, yet for some reason, they stayed pretty vanilla for 9 games this year?

Archived