Off-season ideas

Irish Jet

Here are my feelings on what the Jets should do in the off-season:

I really want us to hold on to D-Rob now. He has shown that when he has a big body alongside him (mosley) that he can be a force. He has been great the last 2 games, pity it took Mangini and Sutton so long to figure out how to use him, that being said I think if we draft or sign a 320+ pound NT to fill some space that would alloww us to move D-Rob to DE were I feel he could really dominate.

We need to sign a WR who can stretch the field, all along I've said we should make a push for D.J. Hackett who will be a FA, he would add a new dimension to our offence as he can get down field but also has great hands.

Our O-line is awful and this is were our coaches really need to step up, I said for a while that I wanted us to sign Faneca but he would cost us a lot of $$$, so the coaches need to develop a scheme and find players that are suited to it, like NE did and like Indy did. We don't need to spend or use high draft picks on the line, we need to find some players that may not be considered great but that will fit our system (our line is so bad now I'm not sure what sytem or style were actually trying to use) like the Pats did with guys like Koppen and the Colts did with Jeff Saturday. Good Coaching is the way to build a great O-line, not through high draft picks.

Another player I'd look for the Jets to target in FA is Randall Gay, he shouldn't be too expensive but he would be a good #2 opposite Revis and is familiar withy Mangini. We would have a very good CB tandem then with Poteat covering the slot where he's best.

In the draft players I'd like to see us go after are:

McFadden or Chris Long

Frank Okam

Shawn Crable

Owen Schmitt

I want to see Vilma traded so we could be in a position to draft some of those players, Crable is a guy who I really like, he can stop the run and get to the passer. If he's available in the 2nd IMO we can't afford to pass on him.

McFadden I'm unsure about, we do need to get a RB at some stage IMHO because TJ can't have too much left in the tank but whether we should make it an issue this season when there are so many problems I don't know. He could be a great player, but if we're not going to address the O-line then we'd be better off drafting defence.

Schmitt is a player I love and would take him if was still there in the later rounds, he would be a great lead blocker which is something we have missed for a long time, he would help both our running game and would also benifit Clemens in pass protection.

Here is what I want our starting team to look like next season:

OFFENCE

QB-Kellen Clemens

RB-Thomas Jones/DMC

WR-Laveranues Coles

WR-Jericho Cotchery

WR-D.J Hackett

TE-Chris baker

LT-D'Brick

LG-FA signing/maybe Montgomery if he show something

C-Mangold

RG-Moore/FA signing

RT-Someone who's not Anthony Clement

DEFENCE

LE-Dewayne Robertson

NT-Frank Okam

RE-Kenyon Coleman

ROLB-Shawn Crable

MLB-David Harris

MLB-Eric Barton/draft pick

LOLB-Shaun Ellis (Could be a very effective pass rusher here)

LCB-Darrelle Revis

SS-Abram Elam

FS-Kerry Rhodes

RCB-Randall Gay

These are just ideas of moves that we could make that IMO think would lead this team in the right direction.

you know i think Coles will be gone after this season. Him and penny are gonna be packaged up and shipped. Hes had way too many injuries this year and i think the concussion demons are catching up. Hes prolly got one good year left before the docs sit him down for taking too many hits. Defense is priority specifically a run stopper and we'll need a new WR. Give Baker a raise...

you know i think Coles will be gone after this season. Him and penny are gonna be packaged up and shipped. Hes had way too many injuries this year and i think the concussion demons are catching up. Hes prolly got one good year left before the docs sit him down for taking too many hits. Defense is priority specifically a run stopper and we'll need a new WR. Give Baker a raise...

I don't think we can afford to let Coles go based on yesterday's performance. Hackett IMO would be a viable replacement when the time come anyways.

I agree that we need a run stuffer hence the drafting of Okam and moving DRob to End.

Two things:

1. D-Rob hasn't shown anything except that he can be a good UT in a 4-3 scheme with the right pieces around him. Didn't we all know that already? He still has shown nothing that leads me to believe that he can effectively play on the line in a 3-4 scheme. He can't eat up blockers, can't hold at the point, can't stuff the run, and can't 2-gap. He is improving his trade value though and I hope we can get solid value for him. If we keep him its only to platoon with another player, till he's ready, who we think can handle the NT position.

2. Much of what I've read from other Steelers fans is that Alan Faneca just isn't that good anymore. Nowhere near worth the money that he wants. He's apparently regressed into a solid run-blocker and poor pass-blocker. Couple that with his age and why would you want to bring him in for huge dollars?

Two things:

1. D-Rob hasn't shown anything except that he can be a good UT in a 4-3 scheme with the right pieces around him. Didn't we all know that already? He still has shown nothing that leads me to believe that he can effectively play on the line in a 3-4 scheme. He can't eat up blockers, can't hold at the point, can't stuff the run, and can't 2-gap. He is improving his trade value though and I hope we can get solid value for him. If we keep him its only to platoon with another player, till he's ready, who we think can handle the NT position.

2. Much of what I've read from other Steelers fans is that Alan Faneca just isn't that good anymore. Nowhere near worth the money that he wants. He's apparently regressed into a solid run-blocker and poor pass-blocker. Couple that with his age and why would you want to bring him in for huge dollars?

D-Rob wouldn't have those responsibilities as an end, Coleman and whoever we bring in at NT could deal with that. Robertson has the speed so that can get after the passer in a 3-4, he has shown that in the last 2 weeks. I He can't play at NT though, way too much responsibilty on him, if we leave him there next season.....

violent086.gif

D-Rob wouldn't have those responsibilities as an end, Coleman and whoever we bring in at NT could deal with that. Robertson has the speed so that can get after the passer in a 3-4, he has shown that in the last 2 weeks. I He can't play at NT though, way too much responsibilty on him, if we leave him there next season.....

violent086.gif

You're right I don't think he would have to 2-gap but still his primary responsibility would be against the run and to hold at the point. He doesn't do that at all. We need to try and trade him, preferably to a tampa 2 team because I think he could be pretty good in that defensive scheme.

Not a fan of the DRob to DE scenario. IMO, he can't really run. I don't believe he is very fast or will be able to cover enough ground to cover the end. His skills are quickness and slicing in the gap. He looks like he can't run if he's not leaning on somebody. It's something to try, but I'd rather keep him at NT (with a better rotation) or move him outright then go into the season expecting him to cut it at DE.

Not a fan of the DRob to DE scenario. IMO, he can't really run. I don't believe he is very fast or will be able to cover enough ground to cover the end. His skills are quickness and slicing in the gap. He looks like he can't run if he's not leaning on somebody. It's something to try, but I'd rather keep him at NT (with a better rotation) or move him outright then go into the season expecting him to cut it at DE.

They've been trying him at End some this season with Mosley at NT. I don't think it's by coincidence that our D has improved immensly and that all of a sudden he has 3.5 sacks.

They've been trying him at End some this season with Mosley at NT. I don't think it's by coincidence that our D has improved immensly and that all of a sudden he has 3.5 sacks.

That's if you still think it's a 3-4. I thought Mosely/DRob meant that we were in a 4-3. I don't think I've seen DRob actually at DE. Besides, they played Ellis at OLB, that doesn't mean he can play it. It's a novelty that might work short term, but I don't think it will work in the long run. I didn't see DRob getting any sacks off the edge.

As much as I'd like to see how effective Drob is at DE, he is on the shorter side for the position. ESPN lists the shortest DE's (that play the 3-4) around 6'3.

Luis Castillo (SD)

Bryant Young (SF)

Marques Douglass (SF) is 6'2, and I don't know anything about his play, but Drob is listed at 6'1. His motor might not be enough to handle that position. I think a lot of ball-swatting is expected of your D-lineman which is why a majority of them are 6'5 on up.

As much as I'd like to see how effective Drob is at DE, he is on the shorter side for the position. ESPN lists the shortest DE's (that play the 3-4) around 6'3.

Luis Castillo (SD)

Bryant Young (SF)

Marques Douglass (SF) is 6'2, and I don't know anything about his play, but Drob is listed at 6'1. His motor might not be enough to handle that position. I think a lot of ball-swatting is expected of your D-lineman which is why a majority of them are 6'5 on up.

Sounds like a job for the mods! I think the "ball swatting" goes with the 2 gap. Because you are occupying blockers and don't get much direct pressure you are expected to knock balls down at the line.

Move Vilma to OLB. He will have more room to work with.

He'd be good in coverage, but as a pass rusher? He's probably one of the worst pass rushing linebackers in the NFL. He'd still be a good 43 backer, i just don't see him wearing green next year. We'll still get good value for him, no reason to keep him.

oh yeah...irish, you should have added we cut Victor Hobson. Then in an act of spite, sign him and cut him again, just because cutting him once will never be enough.

He'd be good in coverage, but as a pass rusher? He's probably one of the worst pass rushing linebackers in the NFL. He'd still be a good 43 backer, i just don't see him wearing green next year. We'll still get good value for him, no reason to keep him.

oh yeah...irish, you should have added we cut Victor Hobson. Then in an act of spite, sign him and cut him again, just because cutting him once will never be enough.

Yup. Hobson is the guy/spot that is most in need of upgrading. His contract is up and his position will be there for upgrading in the draft. DRob/NT will be a tough upgrade - I just dont see any of these guys out there for drafting, signing or trading for.

LOL, Only twice????

Yup, Hobson needs to go IMO, Barton has at least picked it up in the past few weeks.

That's if you still think it's a 3-4. I thought Mosely/DRob meant that we were in a 4-3. I don't think I've seen DRob actually at DE. Besides, they played Ellis at OLB, that doesn't mean he can play it. It's a novelty that might work short term, but I don't think it will work in the long run. I didn't see DRob getting any sacks off the edge.

Drob is on the injury list like every week.....knee

Archived