Rolle accuses official of using disrespectful language

Lil Bit Special

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3141124

BALTIMORE -- The NFL is looking into an accusation made by Baltimore RavensSamari Rolle that an official called him a "boy" during Monday's night's 27-24 loss to New England. cornerback

"The refs called me a boy. No. 110 called me a boy," Rolle said in the locker room after the game. "I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint. I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before.' "

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday the league is looking in to the situation.

No. 110 is head linesman Phil McKinnely, a former player for three NFL teams during the 1970s and '80s. McKinnely, who played collegiately at UCLA, is black, as is Rolle.

The Ravens were demonstrative after the game about the officiating, especially on the final drive that led to Tom Brady's pass to Jabar Gaffney for the winning touchdown with 44 seconds left. After the touchdown, set up by a fourth-down defensive holding call on Jamaine Winborne, linebacker Bart Scott was penalized 15 yards for complaining and another 15 yards for throwing the official's flag.

"In a game of this magnitude, you don't make that kind of call," Rolle said. "Let the players decide the outcome of the game. You can crown them champions now. I'm not taking anything away from them. They are a great team. They're not asking the refs to help them, but it's just an empty feeling."

So a black ref called a black player a boy after he questions an officials call?? If the ref was white I could understand the racial connection... but if Rolle was acting like a child... cant wait to hear the refs version.

Probably goes like this: He was questioning my officiating and my integrity and was disrespectful towards me using foul language. I lost my temper and told him to stop acting like a little boy.

Once again the Ravens are wrong: Rolle said "you never played football before" but he did and understands the flow of the game.

And losers usually say: "In a game of this magnitude, you don't make that kind of call," Rolle said. "Let the players decide the outcome of the game.

i guess they should only make that call in Jets/Dolphins games since its not a game of "that magnitude"

You are a sore loser Samari. Get over it. You guys blew the game. But keep coming up with more excuses.

So a black ref called a black player a boy after he questions an officials call?? If the ref was white I could understand the racial connection... but if Rolle was acting like a child... cant wait to hear the refs version.

Imo this makes it worse. The ref knew the connection and was trying to push the players buttons.

refs are supposed to be impartial and non-judgemental, really sounds like they were.

Yeah seriously, what's with you guys defending the refs on this nonsense? The refs in the NFL are terrible. They definitely play favorites. DeAngelo Hall got called on penalties a few weeks ago because the ref had it in for him. And here we have them proving more how unprofessional they are.

If it was a Jets player everyone here would be up in arms. Refs should NOT be able to determine the outcome of games!

It's bad enough they kind of got screwed at the end. They need to shut up now because it is really making them look like babies. Kind of like brady in the fourth qtr. :P

They're just following the lead of their coach who usually has something to say about the officiating after every game. It's just habit to them now. He even bitched about the officials not penalizing us for faking a snap count and they won that game. Is anyone really surprised that someone from that team bitched about the officiating?

It's bad enough they kind of got screwed at the end. They need to shut up now because it is really making them look like babies. Kind of like brady in the fourth qtr. :P

Funny you say that. Bart Scott is on Sportscenter right now whining like a little girl.

Yeah seriously, what's with you guys defending the refs on this nonsense? The refs in the NFL are terrible. They definitely play favorites. DeAngelo Hall got called on penalties a few weeks ago because the ref had it in for him. And here we have them proving more how unprofessional they are.

If it was a Jets player everyone here would be up in arms. Refs should NOT be able to determine the outcome of games!

hmm.. lets see. The refs are officiating a game. Player gets in his face yelling and screaming and cursing at him and questioning his integrity and you people want him to stand there like a statue. He's a human being, he will react.

Im tired of debating the officiating. Is it perfect 100%? No. But they do a great job every single week. And just because Jets fans hate seeing the pats be successful, they take the easy way out and blame the refs. That is weak. Face the facts, good teams cause other teams to commit more penalties. happens in every sport.

and dont you think if the officiating was as bad as you say, someone, somewhere, would have complied all these "bad" calls that favor one team and show it as evidence of bias in the NFL??? Sure there are bad calls (cleveland game, LY and this year) but 99% of calls are correct.

Im tired of the excuses everyone here has. Its never because the Pats are talented. Its never because they shut down the ravens on 2 consecutive drives. Its always some other reason. Sometimes ya gotta accept the fact that your hated team is actually good. But most sports fans dont know how to concede that. They always look for excuses on why the team is successful.

The officiating excuse is weak.

hmm.. lets see. The refs are officiating a game. Player gets in his face yelling and screaming and cursing at him and questioning his integrity and you people want him to stand there like a statue. He's a human being, he will react.

Im tired of debating the officiating. Is it perfect 100%? No. But they do a great job every single week. And just because Jets fans hate seeing the pats be successful, they take the easy way out and blame the refs. That is weak. Face the facts, good teams cause other teams to commit more penalties. happens in every sport.

and dont you think if the officiating was as bad as you say, someone, somewhere, would have complied all these "bad" calls that favor one team and show it as evidence of bias in the NFL??? Sure there are bad calls (cleveland game, LY and this year) but 99% of calls are correct.

Im tired of the excuses everyone here has. Its never because the Pats are talented. Its never because they shut down the ravens on 2 consecutive drives. Its always some other reason. Sometimes ya gotta accept the fact that your hated team is actually good. But most sports fans dont know how to concede that. They always look for excuses on why the team is successful.

The officiating excuse is weak.

I don't recall the board erupting over the officiating last month when the Pats were flagged 10 times for 146 yards against the Colts (Colts were flagged 4 times for 25 yards).

You have been on-point today. A lot of Posters let their hatred of the Pats cloud their minds when looking at a game.

That's funny. The ref should be allowed to yell and curse a player out according to some of you ? Following this same thought, the player should walk away like nothing happened. Bullcrap. That's a pile of bull . The refs have no right to sit there and taunt a player by yelling things to them. If they do so, the player should be allowed to get in his face and do the same. Then when a player snaps and body slams one of these fools, everyone's going to be asking for the player to be banned from football. Nonsense. Penalize the refs who are doing this and make an example of them.

That's funny. The ref should be allowed to yell and curse a player out according to some of you ? Following this same thought, the player should walk away like nothing happened. Bullcrap. That's a pile of bull . The refs have no right to sit there and taunt a player by yelling things to them. If they do so, the player should be allowed to get in his face and do the same. Then when a player snaps and body slams one of these fools, everyone's going to be asking for the player to be banned from football. Nonsense. Penalize the refs who are doing this and make an example of them.

I would rather hear the other side of the story before commenting, but I cant and can only assume what happened.

after the 2 penalties were called on Bart and the extra point was done, the players came over and were in the officials face yelling and screaming about the calls made. The official did look very pissed off at how he was being treated at that moment and was yelling back.

the play was already over and the ravens continued the bulsh!t. What do you want the ref to do?

Should the ref be reprimanded for having a verbal confrontation with a player? Yes. Should the ref learn how to better handle himself? Yes. They have those yellow hankies for a reason. They can eject players. But to think the ref started this or continued this is ridiculous.

The ravens were unprofessional. They were questioning his integrity. his knowledge of the game and the rules. The ref didnt sit there and lob verbal assaults for no reason. The guy reacted to what was happening to him. He didnt chase the players around and insult them. He was reacting. The Ravens werent. They sought him out to verbally abuse him.

Why you people cannot accept the fact that the Ravens were to blame for this entire incident is beyond me.

It is really interesting to just compare the nationl media perception of the Jets vs the Ravens, or anyone else, really. The Jets are considered to be this horrible team that they were all expecting to provide the Phins with their first victory. When the Jets stomped the Phins, not one word of praise toward the Jets. All you heard about was that the Phins probably blew their only opporunity to win a game this year. Like losing 40 - 13 is "blowing it". Now all the great minds are talking about how the only chance of the Pats losing in the regular season is to the Steelers. Giants? Maybe a little chance. Jets? Not even a consideration.

Now, at the start of last night's game, the guys in the booth were already speculating that this could be the night someone beats the Patriots. The Ravens are now 4 -8. They were 13 - 3 last year. The Jets are 3 -9. They were 10 - 6 last year. Who is the bigger disappointment? And yet, the Ravens still get some respect, while the Jets get none.

How great would it be if the Jets beat the Pats on December 16? The national media would commit collective suicide.

It is really interesting to just compare the nationl media perception of the Jets vs the Ravens, or anyone else, really. The Jets are considered to be this horrible team that they were all expecting to provide the Phins with their first victory. When the Jets stomped the Phins, not one word of praise toward the Jets. All you heard about was that the Phins probably blew their only opporunity to win a game this year. Like losing 40 - 13 is "blowing it". Now all the great minds are talking about how the only chance of the Pats losing in the regular season is to the Steelers. Giants? Maybe a little chance. Jets? Not even a consideration.

Now, at the start of last night's game, the guys in the booth were already speculating that this could be the night someone beats the Patriots. The Ravens are now 4 -8. They were 13 - 3 last year. The Jets are 3 -9. They were 10 - 6 last year. Who is the bigger disappointment? And yet, the Ravens still get some respect, while the Jets get none.

How great would it be if the Jets beat the Pats on December 16? The national media would commit collective suicide.

the week of the game they will all report how the Pats want to kick our ass and in a little sentence at the end they leave open the possibility the jets could pull off a victory. Then when they do win they will all say they called the upset and write about how the Pats collapsed and not how the Jets outplayed them and finally got a few breaks this year.

Not one of them will ever admit they were wrong.

plus each one of the Ravens losses were because of the refs.

Why do we feel the need in this country to show the two opposing sides races before even saying what happened. I mean seriously, some people take the whole racism thing way too far. Anyways, I don't see what's so bad about this if Rolle had already said that he never played football before. That's like saying **** you to a guy and complaining that they cursed back at you. Both statements are groundless.

Did you watch the game? The officials definitely wanted New England to win.Gaffneys catch was not clean he did not have possesion.Ive watched it over and over.

At work we all watched that "catch" over and over. No way was it a legit catch. He never established clear control of the ball before stepping out.

Boy I'd love to see that !!!

Archived