Vick Gets 23 months in Jail and 3 years probation

lawngnome o-line

RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy that involved gambling and killing pit bulls.

U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson could have sentenced the suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback to up to five years. Vick pleaded guilty in August, admitting he bankrolled the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation and helped kill six to eight dogs.

Vick also received three years' probation. With nearly a month already served, Vick would be scheduled for release in October 2009.

Vick, wearing a black-and-white prison jumpsuit, had no visible reaction when Hudson issued his punishment. Vick apologized to the court and his family.

In his plea agreement in August, Vick -- who waived his right to appeal his sentence then -- admitted bankrolling the dogfighting ring on his 15-acre property in rural southeastern Virginia and helping kill pit bulls that did not perform well in test fights. He also admitted providing money for bets on the fights but said he never shared in any winnings.

What a joke.

So who does he sign with when he gets out?

He won't be able to play football until at least the 2010 season. He will have missd 3 total seasons of football wihout having the proper training in those 3 years to be "NFL ready". Add to the obvious decline in his already questionable NFL abilities the backlash that any team that signs him will receive and I think his career is over. Even besides all that, the state charges are still pending and the commish has the opportunity to extend the suspension after his jail term i finished. He will never play in the NFL again.

Anyone else surprised that justice would be served to this degree when this story 1st broke?

No. Fed's don't mess around. There is a 95% conviction rate of anyone the Feds charge.

Does that actually mean he will SERVE 23 months? If so.. that is great and nice to know that his celeb couldn't get him out of it.

BZ

Yes. Fed's don't give yo good behavior time off. He's in for that entire time.

Ray Lewis killed 2 people....

Leonard Little Killed 2 Women in a DWI accident...then got another DWI 3 yrs later.

Randy McMicheal beat his pregnant girlfriend....

Michael Pittman beat his pregnant girlfriend....

Mike Vick killed some dogs.....and got 2 yrs in Jail.

I'm not condoning Mike Vick's actions and I'm not trying to start trouble....but since when is an animals life worth more than a human life?

We let homeless people die in the street and walk over their bodies....but we all go nuts if someone hurts an animal. I love animals....but this is ridiculous.

Ray Lewis killed 2 people....

Leonard Little Killed 2 Women in a DWI accident...then got another DWI 3 yrs later.

Randy McMicheal beat his pregnant girlfriend....

Michael Pittman beat his pregnant girlfriend....

Mike Vick killed some dogs.....and got 2 yrs in Jail.

I'm not condoning Mike Vick's actions and I'm not trying to start trouble....but since when is an animals life worth more than a human life?

We let homeless people die in the street and walk over their bodies....but we all go nuts if someone hurts an animal. I love animals....but this is ridiculous.

Just because those guys got away with something they should not have does not mean we should go easier on the next. I agree Little and Lewi should be in jail, but that has no bearing on Vick.

Smizzy, you are oversimplifying way too much. Those other year long cases didn't come down to one line.

BZ

No difference between Ray Lewis turning on his friends to cop a plea and Mike Vicks friends throwing him under the bus to cop a plea. I don't buy the fact Vick was the worse of the 3 guys arrested.

And Humans >> Animals

If I told you to tell me who got a longer sentence...the guy who killed 2 people or the guy who killed 2 dogs....How many of you would pick the dog guy?

No difference between Ray Lewis turning on his friends to cop a plea and Mike Vicks friends throwing him under the bus to cop a plea. I don't buy the fact Vick was the worse of the 3 guys arrested.

Actually he was. Without him funding it, there would be no "Bad Newz Kennelz". His funding was the #1 enabler of the crime, therefore he was the worst of the 3.

If I told you to tell me who got a longer sentence...the guy who killed 2 people or the guy who killed 2 dogs....How many of you would pick the dog guy?

The guy who killed 2 people got away with it, sometimes people do. That doesn't mean everyone else should get away with whatever they did. If I go next door and kill my neighbor's dog, should I jusrt go to court and say "hey, Ray Lewis nd Leonard Little are murderers, so I should not be punished".

The guy who killed 2 people got away with it, sometimes people do. That doesn't mean everyone else should get away with whatever they did. If I go next door and kill my neighbor's dog, should I jusrt go to court and say "hey, Ray Lewis nd Leonard Little are murderers, so I should not be punished".

Not saying that...but at my sentencing...I'd bring up the fact that people killers are getting a lighter sentence.

Not saying that...but at my sentencing...I'd bring up the fact that people killers are getting a lighter sentence.

Sure. But remember, he wasn't sentenced for killing dogs. He was sentenced for illegal commerce across state lines which is why it was a federal case.

I knew someone who went to jail for 18 months for insider trading. He served at a federal prison. The broker that enabled all the inside trading served almost 3 years. The Feds don't **** around bro.

If Lewis and Little were facing a federal murder charge or any federal charge that resultedc in a human death, rest assured they would be in jail for many years. Unfortunately the state justice systems are not nearly as efficient as the Federal system.

Sure. But remember, he wasn't sentenced for killing dogs. He was sentenced for illegal commerce across state lines which is why it was a federal case.

I knew someone who went to jail for 18 months for insider trading. He served at a federal prison. The broker that enabled all the inside trading served almost 3 years. The Feds don't **** around bro.

If Lewis and Little were facing a federal murder charge or any federal charge that resultedc in a human death, rest assured they would be in jail for many years. Unfortunately the state justice systems are not nearly as efficient as the Federal system.

Agreed.

Agreed.

The funny thing about this is Vick probably would not have served any jail time had he not took the show on the road. If this were simply a state issue, the codefendants would probably serve the most tim for killing the dogs and Vick would be charged for hosting and funding an illegal gambling ring. His celeb status in VA would no doubt come into play and he likely gets probation for 3-5 years with no jail time. Once the show crossed state lines and became a federal issue, Vick's goose was cooked.

A lot of people are more sympathethic to animals than people. Brushback did an article on this awhile back that was really accurate and thus even funnier. People who claim to love animal rights generally seem to condone violence against people to get their point across. Same thing with anti-abortion people, they'll try and kill doctors to get their way, paying no attention to the contradiction of wanting to preserve human life by taking it.

It's just how it is.

A lot of people are more sympathethic to animals than people. Brushback did an article on this awhile back that was really accurate and thus even funnier. People who claim to love animal rights generally seem to condone violence against people to get their point across. Same thing with anti-abortion people, they'll try and kill doctors to get their way, paying no attention to the contradiction of wanting to preserve human life by taking it.

It's just how it is.

I would give him 1 year in jail

the following year he would work for PETA for free, going around the country

to help end this dogfighting crap...

some good might actually come out of this!!!

Well don't put words in my mouth though, I didn't say I was against the sentence. What he got is fine, it's just too many people do get away with crimes. A lot of female celebs seem to hit citizens with their big SUVs or cause property damage, but then get off scott free. They should get more time than Vick did, doesn't mean Vick shouldn't get time too.

Well don't put words in my mouth though, I didn't say I was against the sentence. What he got is fine, it's just too many people do get away with crimes. A lot of female celebs seem to hit citizens with their big SUVs or cause property damage, but then get off scott free. They should get more time than Vick did, doesn't mean Vick shouldn't get time too.

this is Afo's sentence!!!!

I actually believe Vick has remorse and i believe him working for Peta

is a good thing.

PETA are terrorists. Make him work for a local humane society (not national humane society which is nothing more than a lobbying group) & I'm with you. But f-PETA.

good post afosomf......... I'm still not convinced you have a heart though :mrgreen:

Archived