Why does everyone have us getting a LB in the draft???

CobraVerde

:confused: Explain please. That is like the least of our worries. DT/NT seems to be priority. Somehow i don't see the Phins picking up Dorsey. I wouldn't be surprised if they go for another QB to make up loosing Quinn or even getting a LB to replace Zach Thomas. Miami is retarded like that. Think they'll take Vilma for a swap??

:confused: Explain please. That is like the least of our worries. DT/NT seems to be priority. Somehow i don't see the Phins picking up Dorsey. I wouldn't be surprised if they go for another QB to make up loosing Quinn or even getting a LB to replace Zach Thomas. Miami is retarded like that. Think they'll take Vilma for a swap??

Maybe because our LB situation looks a bit grim:

Harris -- ILB

Vilma -- ?

Barton -- $ and old

Hobson -- FA

Kassell -- FA stinks

Chatham -- stinks

Thomas -- four years left

Bowens -- four years left

You need somebody at least capable of replacing Vilma/ Barton after next season. You need a replacement for Hobson other than Chatham and you need a back ILB to replace Kassell.

The Jets wont take an LB in the 1st round, more likely the 2nd or 3rd.

If I'm the Jets the last place I want Vilma to go is Miami. He'd be a nice fit there and making plays against our offense 2 weeks every year plus Thomas is done.

Hobson, Vilma and Barton could all be goners this off-season. If that's the case we can't draft and sign Linebackers quickly enough to fill all the holes we'll have in the front 7.

If I'm the Jets the last place I want Vilma to go is Miami. He'd be a nice fit there and making plays against our offense 2 weeks every year plus Thomas is done.

Hobson, Vilma and Barton could all be goners this off-season. If that's the case we can't draft and sign Linebackers quickly enough to fill all the holes we'll have in the front 7.

I hear ya on that but are you willing to still hold ground if miami offers you the #1 for Vilma & say a 2nd or 3rd (if we have one to give- mind you this is hypothetically speaking) ?

Because there are no true 3-4 NTs in the draft other than Frank Morton and maybe Antonio Dixon, both of whom are 3rd round picks at the absolute earliest.

And because our LB corps, outside of Harris, is awful. Although I do think if you put a real pass-rusher opposite Thomas, his numbers will rise.

In terms of sheer need, yes, our top priority should be NT. But in terms of value--meaning, what talented players are available to us--OLB is probably tops.

I hear ya on that but are you willing to still hold ground if miami offers you the #1 for Vilma & say a 2nd or 3rd (if we have one to give- mind you this is hypothetically speaking) ?

if they offer that, we'll throw in Mangini, Schott, and bryan thomas.

I wouldn't take a LB too high as the talent there very often continues down to the mid-2nd round. IMO the 2 best LB's to come out in the last 2 season are DeMeco Ryans and David Harris, who are both 2nd rounders. (Willis and Simms may be better but you see my point).

IMO we need to go for it all this season in the draft, I don't like settling for position of need. IMO we go after talent, and if McFadden is there he is the gusy we take. If not I want Chris Long who fits the book for both talent (not as much as McFadden but pretty damn well) and need. The only problem is that he would be very undersized playing as a 3-4 end and without a true NT beside him things would be even more difficult. People have brought up the possibilty of 3-4 LB but I'm unsure. Overall though the guys is a good enough football player that I'm sure he could do whatever the hell we asked him to a high level.

As for LB, I desperatley want us to draft Shawn crable out of Michigan. The problem is I think he will tear it up at the combine and raise his draft stock too high for us to become a factor without a trade.

Our LBing corps is decent at best. Thomas needs someone across from him and I think he'll pick his game up.

We need a pass rusher just as much as we need a NT. Someone like Gholston or Groves would be nice.

I agree the Jets desperately need a pass rusher and NT but I don't think people understand how depleted the Jets may be at LB this off-season. Hobson, Vilma and Barton may all be gone. Only legit starter left would be David Harris. The Jets will need to sign or draft at least 3 linebackers.

Personally, I'd love to see the Jets draft Glenn Dorsey, sign Jared Allen and go back to a 4-3 defense with Vilma as the MLB and Harris and Barton as the OLB's. That coupled with an improving secondary would make the Jets defense a whole lot better.

I agree the Jets desperately need a pass rusher and NT but I don't think people understand how depleted the Jets may be at LB this off-season. Hobson, Vilma and Barton may all be gone. Only legit starter left would be David Harris. The Jets will need to sign or draft at least 3 linebackers.

Personally, I'd love to see the Jets draft Glenn Dorsey, sign Jared Allen and go back to a 4-3 defense with Vilma as the MLB and Harris and Barton as the OLB's. That coupled with an improving secondary would make the Jets defense a whole lot better.

I'd rather not go back to the 4-3.

BT and Ellis at the end positions don't sound so appetizing, and I actually like both of those guys.

I,ve read 10 mock drafts.

8 of them have us getting chris long saying he is a perfect player for the 3-4 and he led the virginia cavaliers with 13.5 sacks.

1 had us taking Glen Dorsey

1 had us taking mcfadden with the 2nd pick,but we all know we wont have the second pick considering we will beat KC which will push us from the top 5 to the top 7.

I'm starting to think the people who say trade down and get more picks are right. I mean DBrick is ok, but there are a few other OL drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who are just as good as him, if not better. Heck Mangold was taken at 29 and is better than DBrick at this point. If they trade away say the 5th pick and wind up with 20 something, a second, a later round pick and maybe a first next year, that could get them potenially 3 players this season and one next season to improve the team instead of 1 guy who might turn out like DBrick. Nothing wrong with that but 3 DBrick type of players are far better than 1. He is an avg player at this point and avg players need not be only taken with a top 10 draft pick. This team has far too many wholes and if they are smart and wind up like the Chargers did a few years back for the Eli trade, they could build for now and the future.

Otherwise, drafting another player like DBRick (Jake Long), would mean they slightly improve the OL in a few years, but do they really improve the team? They sure haven't in the past two years. They've brought in some decent draft picks, but the reality is, they haven't improved the team at all in 2 years.

I'm starting to think the people who say trade down and get more picks are right. I mean DBrick is ok, but there are a few other OL drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who are just as good as him, if not better. Heck Mangold was taken at 29 and is better than DBrick at this point. If they trade away say the 5th pick and wind up with 20 something, a second, a later round pick and maybe a first next year, that could get them potenially 3 players this season and one next season to improve the team instead of 1 guy who might turn out like DBrick. Nothing wrong with that but 3 DBrick type of players are far better than 1. He is an avg player at this point and avg players need not be only taken with a top 10 draft pick. This team has far too many wholes and if they are smart and wind up like the Chargers did a few years back for the Eli trade, they could build for now and the future.

Otherwise, drafting another player like DBRick (Jake Long), would mean they slightly improve the OL in a few years, but do they really improve the team? They sure haven't in the past two years. They've brought in some decent draft picks, but the reality is, they haven't improved the team at all in 2 years.

Not sure anybody will be making those kind of offers for our pick this year. You get those kind of deals when somebody is targeted (like Eli). By most accounts this draft is weak up top and nobody is dying to move up. Might change by draft day though.

Trading down is definitely the way to go. Look at how much success the Chargers have had trading down. Tomlinson, Merriman, Brees and Rivers.

Archived