Nugent wide left!

1stand2nd

Every time I see Nugent miss a big kick, like yesterday's, I can't help myself from screaming (o k, muttering) "WE SPENT A 2ND ROUND PICK ON THIS GUY?!!!" The Jets have made some doozie picks over the years (Johnny Lam Jones, Blair Thomas, Johnny Mitchell, DRob) but this one sticks in my craw the worst. It's one thing to take a risk on a player, then have him crap out on you - but a kicker in round 2? It was our 1st pick of that year's draft. Unforgivable! If this guy was an elite kicker maybe I could learn to live with it, but Nugent is an average NFL kicker. We could have had Frank Gore or several other good players with that pick.

Yeah, Janikowski and Nugent. The 2 highest drafted kickers (I think) of all time and neither one is exceptional.

At least Janikowski could probably hit them from 60+. His accuracy is terrible IMO but at least you can tell what the Raiders saw in him.

The Nugent pick never made any ****ing sense, when I heard we drafted a kicker in rd.2 I was sure that the site was taking the piss.

I have always believed that the drafting of Nugent was a knee jerk reaction

to the disaster with Brien the year before. There was no way he could remain

on the team and with the record that Nugent had at OS they thought they had

a HOF.

There have been times during this season when he has come out on the field

to kick a FG I get bad memories of Jon Hall. You never knew what he was going to do

and I had to reach for my blood pressure medicine.

Yeah, Janikowski and Nugent. The 2 highest drafted kickers (I think) of all time and neither one is exceptional.

I think the Cheaters said it best when they let the games #1 all time clutch kicker in AV go and replaced him with a virtual nobody.

I have always believed that the drafting of Nugent was a knee jerk reaction

to the disaster with Brien the year before. There was no way he could remain

on the team and with the record that Nugent had at OS they thought they had

a HOF.

There have been times during this season when he has come out on the field

to kick a FG I get bad memories of Jon Hall. You never knew what he was going to do

and I had to reach for my blood pressure medicine.

:rl: Yup that was Hall all right. He could click on a 55 yarder then miss a 27 yd chippy with the game on the line. You just never knew. :P

Yeah, because it is Mike Nugent's fault as to where he is drafted. Also, I think this board has some serious short term memory problems. Lets all just throw out how Nugent had hit 15 straight prior to that miss, 22 of his last 23 and had two huge kicks in the Steelers game. But of course, when he missed a field goal with 2+ minutes remaining, that should seal his fate as a horrible kicker. Yep, that makes perfect sense.

Question, do you think the Jets would've scored a touchdown in the final two minutes? I don't. Didn't see them stopping the Pats on the very next drive when all they would've done is pounded Laurence Maroney.

Either way, it was a bad miss, I'm not disputing that, but to say he is a horrible kicker is laughable. Doug Brien? Are you guys serious? That guy couldn't kick anything longer than 45 yards. Nugent has a leg. He has kicked 50+ yarders in college and the pro's. He is having his best year thus far in terms of touchbacks as well, which some of you like the orgasm at because you love the touchbacks.

This is just sad. Some of you want Doug Brien back? Go ahead. If Doug Brien was in there on Sunday, that kick goes another 15 feet to the left. Remember Pittsburgh? Yeah, think twice before you start idiotic posts and threads like this.

Yeah, because it is Mike Nugent's fault as to where he is drafted. Also, I think this board has some serious short term memory problems. Lets all just throw out how Nugent had hit 15 straight prior to that miss, 22 of his last 23 and had two huge kicks in the Steelers game. But of course, when he missed a field goal with 2+ minutes remaining, that should seal his fate as a horrible kicker. Yep, that makes perfect sense.

Question, do you think the Jets would've scored a touchdown in the final two minutes? I don't. Didn't see them stopping the Pats on the very next drive when all they would've done is pounded Laurence Maroney.

Either way, it was a bad miss, I'm not disputing that, but to say he is a horrible kicker is laughable. Doug Brien? Are you guys serious? That guy couldn't kick anything longer than 45 yards. Nugent has a leg. He has kicked 50+ yarders in college and the pro's. He is having his best year thus far in terms of touchbacks as well, which some of you like the orgasm at because you love the touchbacks.

This is just sad. Some of you want Doug Brien back? Go ahead. If Doug Brien was in there on Sunday, that kick goes another 15 feet to the left. Remember Pittsburgh? Yeah, think twice before you start idiotic posts and threads like this.

Come on. Are you really believing this stuff you post here about Nugent? He left whatever leg he had in the Buckeye state...he's no gimmie when it comes to making FG's...he's most definitely John Hall reincarnated. At least Hall could put the kickoffs in the endzone...when is the last time Nugggggggge did that without the wind at his back?

Edit...I had to look up this guy's kicking record this year. He's great with kicking FG's under 30 yards...11-11. Once he starts kicking from 30 and out he's ****...16-22. That is not what I want in my kicker. Especially one we picked in the second round. And I couldn't find the stat on touchbacks, but anyone watching the games knows he must be in the lower echelon for kickers in that department.

Joe I think your man crush has gone too far..start rooting for this years team mvp...Leon Washington.... Nuge is an average kicker on a lousy team. I do not understand why a kicker should get rewarded having a streak of kicks made. Is that not what he is supposed to do? Is he the biggest problem on this team of course not...and by the time the Jets get a championship team together he will probably be retired so I am not worried about it

you guys are in trouble now,124 is on a roof with a sniper rifle somewhere with a list with

all your names on it,well all the guys that had something bad to say about the

Nuge.....your Done. Hey 124 ,I like the Nuuuge ,he can't hit em all, but who does??

This is a tough kid with a good leg and nobody here could have kicked that FG in that

weather.

P.s. Joe take me off that list bro :)

you guys are in trouble now,124 is on a roof with a sniper rifle somewhere with a list with

all your names on it,well all the guys that had something bad to say about the

Nuge.....your Done. Hey 124 ,I like the Nuuuge ,he can't hit em all, but who does??

This is a tough kid with a good leg and nobody here could have kicked that FG in that

weather.

P.s. Joe take me off that list bro :)

He may be up on the roof with a sniper rifle, but I'm probably the only trained sniper on this board...:fighting0002:

Come on. Are you really believing this stuff you post here about Nugent? He left whatever leg he had in the Buckeye state...he's no gimmie when it comes to making FG's...he's most definitely John Hall reincarnated. At least Hall could put the kickoffs in the endzone...when is the last time Nugggggggge did that without the wind at his back?

Edit...I had to look up this guy's kicking record this year. He's great with kicking FG's under 30 yards...11-11. Once he starts kicking from 30 and out he's ****...16-22. That is not what I want in my kicker. Especially one we picked in the second round. And I couldn't find the stat on touchbacks, but anyone watching the games knows he must be in the lower echelon for kickers in that department.

16-22 isn't that great, but it isn't **** either. Especially when two of those misses from 30+ came from 56 (which had the distance) and 54 (which fell short in windy conditions). However, he did hit a 50 yarder this year as well. Forget against who. Nuge had his streak of inconsistency early in the season, as he seems to have each year (remember KC in his rookie year and Tennessee last year?). He turns it on in the second half of the season. One 35 yard field goal miss, down by 10 with 2:31 remaining, to New England, isn't going to change my perception of him.

16-22 isn't that great, but it isn't **** either. Especially when two of those misses from 30+ came from 56 (which had the distance) and 54 (which fell short in windy conditions). However, he did hit a 50 yarder this year as well. Forget against who. Nuge had his streak of inconsistency early in the season, as he seems to have each year (remember KC in his rookie year and Tennessee last year?). He turns it on in the second half of the season. One 35 yard field goal miss, down by 10 with 2:31 remaining, to New England, isn't going to change my perception of him.

Joe, I know the passion you have for this team and that's great...but those are the kicks you have to make. Those 30+ are what these guys get paid to do...he's got a 82% FG record this year. Which means he misses 18%...that's a lot...especially if the games on the line. Lucky for us, our team sucks.

Joe, I know the passion you have for this team and that's great...but those are the kicks you have to make. Those 30+ are what these guys get paid to do...he's got a 82% FG record this year. Which means he misses 18%...that's a lot...especially if the games on the line. Lucky for us, our team sucks.

You do know that Adam Vinatieri's career average is 82.2%, right? Not too shabby. Mike Vanderjagt, the most accurate kicker in NFL history, his career average? 86.5%.

Nuge thus far: 83%.

Nuge's career 40-49 yards: 16-21

His problem is 50+ (3 for 8) and I understand that is not a good stat, but its hard to find kickers who consistently nail 50+ yard kicks.

the wind was crazy the other day, made alot of good kickers look bad. Nugent will be fine, at least we know why Mangini went for it on 4th and 2 instead of kicking.

Gostkowski looked pretty good in it.

Did you happen to notice the kicks Dawson made in much worse conditions in Cleveland?

Nugent is a good kicker, not a great one. 4th quarter, when the Jets need to draw near, he seems to choke up a little bit.

The unfortunate aspect is that the 2nd round moniker will forever be hung over his head. he gets paid like a 2nd rounder, and the expecatations is for him to perform like a 2nd round kicker, which is upper echelon of the league.

hey, we all have expectations, and it is not unfair to have those of Nugent.

Gostkowski looked pretty good in it.

Did you happen to notice the kicks Dawson made in much worse conditions in Cleveland?

Nugent is a good kicker, not a great one. 4th quarter, when the Jets need to draw near, he seems to choke up a little bit.

The unfortunate aspect is that the 2nd round moniker will forever be hung over his head. he gets paid like a 2nd rounder, and the expecatations is for him to perform like a 2nd round kicker, which is upper echelon of the league.

hey, we all have expectations, and it is not unfair to have those of Nugent.

Yeah, Gostkowski did look pretty good in the wind, when it was at his back.

Nugent was 1/2 with 20+ mph winds in his face. I don't think thats all that bad.

Yeah, Gostkowski did look pretty good in the wind, when it was at his back.

Nugent was 1/2 with 20+ mph winds in his face. I don't think thats all that bad.

It is if you want to win games.

The kick was pushed by Nugent. It had plenty of distance.

35 yard kicks in swirling elements are makeable. Gostkowski made his. Phil Dawson made a 49 yarder in far worse elements. 49 yards!

Let's not give Nugent built in excuses. He is a big boy. Big boys should make those kicks.

Archived