Here's Kiper's Take....from JetsCentral

SoFlaJets

Looking Ahead To The Draft

Tuesday, December 18th, 2007 by Gary Grund

Draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN.com was asked a few questions that involved the Jets yesterday regarding the upcoming NFL Draft this April.

On which team would be the best fit for RB Darren McFadden, of the top four choices as of right now, Kiper had this to say regarding McFadden and the Jets

i say we trade pennington and coles for the rumored 1st and 4th rounder of the Chiefs.... Try and trade a 2nd and 4th for Brady Quinn(rumor has it he wants out). and then draft.. Darren McFadden with the 1st first round pick and then next best available defensive player available with the other first round pick..preferably Chris Long....After that it leaves us with a pick in Rounds 3-7. What do ya think ??

i say we trade pennington and coles for the rumored 1st and 4th rounder of the Chiefs.... Try and trade a 2nd and 4th for Brady Quinn(rumor has it he wants out). and then draft.. Darren McFadden with the 1st first round pick and then next best available defensive player available with the other first round pick..preferably Chris Long....After that it leaves us with a pick in Rounds 3-7. What do ya think ??

OMG, I would do that in a half a heart beat. Not going to happen. But I'd do it.

McFadden again AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!

Where did you hear that the chiefs wanted coles and penny? just curious.

Chris Long is going to have to add 20 pounds before he becomes an elite 3-4 NFL defensive end. Not saying that's not going to happen but I'm not sure Mangini would be willing to take that big of a risk. Maybe, if we trade down, James Laurinaitis is a possibility. That would give the sick possibility of a Laurinaitis-Harris combo for 10-15 years; however, he did play OLB this year in a 4-3...very different from the 3-4.

I still think our best bet, and even least risky bet, is McFadden.

If they traded a 4th and maybe a 3rd in 2009's draft I'd go for Quinn, but why give up a 2nd and 4th and who knows what else for him? At this point he is just as unproven as KC is and he was not very impressive in big games in college that's for sure.

Kiper is an idiot. Ellis is a sucky 3-4 DE. So we're to have two DE's in the 3-4 that are about 280 lbs apiece? With a 308-lb NT?

I'm sure they'll command double-teams from 320-340-lb linemen no problem.

:bag:

That's why I dont want to see us draft Long unless we address the rest of the line as well. I have no problem with Coleman starting next season, he is usually the one lineman that doesn't end up 5 yards downfield on every other play.

If our line is Long-Robertson-Ellis next season I gaurantee it will be be last in the league, at least vs The Run. Offences would just dominate us.

And who blocks for Darren and Quinn?

Chris Long is going to have to add 20 pounds before he becomes an elite 3-4 NFL defensive end. Not saying that's not going to happen but I'm not sure Mangini would be willing to take that big of a risk. Maybe, if we trade down, James Laurinaitis is a possibility. That would give the sick possibility of a Laurinaitis-Harris combo for 10-15 years; however, he did play OLB this year in a 4-3...very different from the 3-4.

I still think our best bet, and even least risky bet, is McFadden.

Harris played on the outside and inside at Michigan in the 43.

And who blocks for Darren and Quinn?

C'mon now K2C, lets not be smart and actually think of the #1 need of this team (Offensive Lineman). Don't you know? Quarterbacks and Running Backs can just do everything on their own. Havn't you seen that from Thomas Jones, Kellen Clemens and Chad Pennington this season? ****, I think the Jets should just have a Center to snap the ball and thats it. ;)

Archived