4-3 Defense only way to go.

JETSFAN5180

With the personnel in house already the logical thing to do.

We need OFFENSE.

Up front defensivley Bowens,Pouha,D-Rob.Ellis 3 LBs Vilma,Harris,Thomas

Revis,Miller,Rhodes,Barrett,Elam,Dyson

Fill in the blanks with free agents or draft picks.Suggs,HaynesWorth

Offensively is where the major overhaul is needed.This team cant SCORE POINTS.

Offensive line. QB, #1 WR a FB who can block and catch.

Tear it up boys.

We need OFFENSE.

Tear it up boys.

You're actually onto something there. The one thing not on the list though is Head Coach. Mangini is too obsessed with being Bill Belichick to realize that he doesn't have the personnel to run a 3-4 defense.

( 0 )

No one ever shuts up about switching to a 4-3 but the fact of the matter is this, as long as Mangini is HC our main setup will e a 3-4. Also FYI even when we have switched to 4-3 front this year they have been incredibly unsuccessful, none better than the 3-4 anyways.

You're actually onto something there. The one thing not on the list though is Head Coach. Mangini is too obsessed with being Bill Belichick to realize that he doesn't have the personnel to run a 3-4 defense.

Thank You Alk.

This organization needs to turn around now,not in 3 years.If Mangini is so DUMB he cant face the facts based on the 3-12 record then he too needs to go.

D-Rob has been pushed around all year game after game play after play.He is not a NT never was and never will be.Another Mangini decision gone bad.We have 0 pass rush.We make any QB look like Tom Brady.John Abe was our pass rush and hes gone.We never addressed the need to fill his loss.

The recievers we have are slow and undersized.The QBs we have obvioulsy arent the answer.First it was Chad now its Clemens who has basically done no better than Chad.

Offensively and Defensively WE STINK.....WE CANT SCORE POINTS.....WE NEED CHANGE the 3-4 isnt working and neither is the QB trial and error plan.

SPECIAL TEAMS was the only bright spot this year..Maybe Mike Westoff should be the head coach.

Mangini and Woody have ruined this team and the future with them shows no promise.

Yes IM PISSED.

Gentlemen-

You may not have noticed, but spare opening day vs. the Pats and Thanksgiving Day vs. the Cowboys(two of the best QBs in the NFL), this defense has gottne the job done.The Jets have been in all but 2 games, and that's mostly because of the defense. Tthey may not be the best defense, in fact far from it. But the main problem is the offense. Aslo, the run a 4-man front on 30% of their downs. Since Vilma got hurt and Harris got in, it's been a decent unit. Yes, they need some help up front.

Gentlemen-

You may not have noticed, but spare opening day vs. the Pats and Thanksgiving Day vs. the Cowboys(two of the best QBs in the NFL), this defense has gottne the job done.The Jets have been in all but 2 games, and that's mostly because of the defense. Tthey may not be the best defense, in fact far from it. But the main problem is the offense. Aslo, the run a 4-man front on 30% of their downs. Since Vilma got hurt and Harris got in, it's been a decent unit. Yes, they need some help up front.

I agree with you. The Jets do need a few pieces--like a NT, DE, ILB, and a pas-rushing OLB. But this defense has made major strides this year IMO. It usually takes 3-4 years for a team to completely and effectively switch over to the 3-4 as well.

I have a couple of questions:

-Who would be our 4-3 NT?

-What do we do with David Harris who's a 3-4 ILB?

-What do we do with Kenyon Coleman?

-Bryan Thomas was terrible in the 4-3, (admittedly he's only a little better in the 3-4) what happens to him?

-Who would be the right end and what kind of pass rush would he generate?

-How would D-Rob stop sucking without a 4-3 NT next to him?

-How would we stop the run without any run stuffing interior lineman?

-Who does the 4-3 help besides D-Rob (slightly) and Vilma?

People need to realize we don't have to personel to be a good 4-3 defense either.

-Bryan Thomas was terrible in the 4-3, (admittedly he's only a little better in the 3-4) what happens to him?

People need to realize we don't have to personel to be a good 4-3 defense either.

B.T. is a joke. He is a one year player every 4 years. His next good year will be three years from now.

Shhhh, your going to kill 2/3 of the threads here with that kind of logic.

Great post btw.

POTW NOM, you're exactly right.

Gentlemen-

The Cinncy game was by far the worst, that was a pathetic display. But I do think the 3-4 is the way to go (one of the few areas I like about Mangini). We don't have the personnel to run a great defence no matter what system it may be, however we are closer to a good 3-4 D. IMO we have a few real studs which we can build around in Harris, Rhodes and Revis and now all we really need is some help up front. If we got a true 3-4 NT who would demand double teams and an good edge rusher at OLB to rush the QB then we could have one hell of a defence. I'm happy with the progress this defence has made this season but our weaknesses are still obvious, if we can find solutions to these flaws in the off-season I think we are set.

Exactly. DRob, Thomas, Hobson and to some degree Vilma, were all bad picks. Regardless of what scheme they are in. Whether we play a 3-4 or a 4-3, we could have had Wilfork instead of Vilma. We could have had Ed Reed instead of Thomas. We could have had Kevin Williams instead of DRob. Add Wilfork, Reed and Williams to Harris, Revis and Rhodes, and you have one helluva defense. It always comes down to drafting. Especially first round picks. You can't keep blowing them and expect to succeed.

-Who would be our 4-3 NT? Last I checked the 4-3 doesn't really have a NT. But Robertson would be moved to DT where he would excel IMO.

-What do we do with David Harris who's a 3-4 ILB? Who decided that he's a 3-4 ILB only? I doubt that's what he played in college. You move him to MLB.

-What do we do with Kenyon Coleman? He's big enough to play DT in a 4-3, move him over there for depth at least.

-Bryan Thomas was terrible in the 4-3, (admittedly he's only a little better in the 3-4) what happens to him? Think Paul Bunyon

-Who would be the right end and what kind of pass rush would he generate? Didn't you hear? You guys are signing Terrell Suggs.

-How would D-Rob stop sucking without a 4-3 NT next to him? I'm confused. Without a 4-3 NT next to him? He would stop sucking because he would have a fourth body next to him which would mean fewer double teams.

-How would we stop the run without any run stuffing interior lineman? You have plenty of run stuffing interior lineman especially when there are two of them on the line instead of one.

-Who does the 4-3 help besides D-Rob (slightly) and Vilma? In a word...EVERYONE!!

People need to realize we don't have to personel to be a good 4-3 defense either. No you don't but you're alot closer to being a good 4-3 than you are to being a good 3-4. There's a reason why the majority of the NFL uses the 4-3

See Above

See Above

A 4-3 one gap defense uses a DT that plays the same technique that a NT would. He tries to take up 2 blockers so the rest of the DL can get one on one matchups. We couldn't run the defense without one. And Suggs is much better fit in a 3-4.

A 4-3 one gap defense uses a DT that plays the same technique that a NT would. He tries to take up 2 blockers so the rest of the DL can get one on one matchups. We couldn't run the defense without one. And Suggs is much better fit in a 3-4.

Also think Glenn Dorsey. Like I already said, you guys are alot closer to a good 4-3 than you are to a good 3-4.

Also think Glenn Dorsey. Like I already said, you guys are alot closer to a good 4-3 than you are to a good 3-4.

I don't think we are at all. We have the DB's to play man. and we would still need a good all around DE in order to play an effective 4-3. With the 3-4 we could get a NT and get pressure by using exotic blitz packages. and by running more 46.

Gentlemen-

Bugg,

This defense is pathetic. We didn't record a sack until like week 8!

You do not win football games if your defense can't:

a) Stop the Run

B)Get after the QB

We need OFFENSE.

Tear it up boys.

Well I would say that just yet let's get an O-line and D-line first then we can make that assessment

Well I would say that just yet let's get an O-line and D-line first then we can make that assessment

The reason the Pat and the Colts are good is because they have an offensive line and the reason the pats D-is so good is because the have a D-line and in the 3-4 you have to have those big linemen to keep the O-line off of you linebackers. This was evident when the Ravens and the Eagles played the Pats. The Ravens punched the Pats D-line right in the mouth and exposed the old and slower linebacking corp of the Pats. and on D the Ravens got to Brady a lot and disrupted is timing. Tom threw for two TD's but so did Kyle Boller

Cmon man. We played good D after the bye. Its our offense that stinks.

The defense has been adequate, don't get fooled into thinking that it is good. The pass rush would have to be upgraded t obe considered pathetic. In most games the QB stands in the pocket, calls his biddies to say "watch this" and then proceeds to throw a pass. The D-line needs a serious upgrade.

We lost 7 games by a touchdown or less... Our D kept us in most of the games but our O couldnt get points on the board. Is our D great....No but they gave us chances to win and our O chocked. Especially in the red zone.

The problem is, which is the real Jet defense? The one before the break or after? It's been the same thing two years in a row now.

Who would be our 4-3 NT? Last I checked the 4-3 doesn't really have a NT. But Robertson would be moved to DT where he would excel IMO.

Huh? Every 4-3 defense has a NT, 4-3 UT and a 4-3 NT. Its different than a 3-4 NT but in general the responsibilities are the same. You need a run stuffing DT in any scheme. You need a DT that draws doubles in any scheme. The only time D-Rob really showed anything consistantly was when he had Jason Fergueson next to him. Fergueson is a space eater type DT. Robertson can be a solid UT when he has someone next to him drawing doubles, but we don't have that player on the roster currently and we need that player for the 3-4 too so why change?

-What do we do with David Harris who's a 3-4 ILB? Who decided that he's a 3-4 ILB only? I doubt that's what he played in college. You move him to MLB.

He was drafted to play ILB in this scheme because it maximizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. He's not the type player you want consistantly playing in space. Plus, even though he can be an effective 4-3 MLB he's in no way an OLB. How do him and Vilma coexist?

-What do we do with Kenyon Coleman? He's big enough to play DT in a 4-3, move him over there for depth at least.

Just cause he's big enough doesn't mean he'd be effective there. He's never played that position before. Plus he'd be undersized as a DT and he doesn't make up for it with any pass rushing ability. It'd just be wasting him when he's solid in this scheme.

-Bryan Thomas was terrible in the 4-3, (admittedly he's only a little better in the 3-4) what happens to him? Think Paul Bunyon

He would go from being slightly less of a waste to a complete waste lol.

-Who would be the right end and what kind of pass rush would he generate? Didn't you hear? You guys are signing Terrell Suggs.

I hope this was sarcasm cause chances of this are slim. On top of that why would we change his position. He's proven that he's elite in the 3-4 so why would we give him a huge contract to play a position he's barely been used as.

-How would D-Rob stop sucking without a 4-3 NT next to him? I'm confused. Without a 4-3 NT next to him? He would stop sucking because he would have a fourth body next to him which would mean fewer double teams.

The DT next to him would have to draw blockers or it would be a waste. Its not like he's never been in the 4-3 before. When we were a 4-3 he still sucked. Again, the exeption was when he has a space eater next to him in Fergueson. We'd have the same hole we have in the 3-4.

-How would we stop the run without any run stuffing interior lineman? You have plenty of run stuffing interior lineman especially when there are two of them on the line instead of one.

Show me all this run stuffing DTs we have cause I haven't seen any. Just cause you're in a 4-3 doesn't automatically mean you're a good run defense. Most teams are 4-3 and yet there are plenty of poor run defenses in the league. When we were in the 4-3 we weren't very good against the run. Plus, as far as schemes go, 3-4 teams tend to be better against the run.

-Who does the 4-3 help besides D-Rob (slightly) and Vilma? In a word...EVERYONE!!

People need to realize we don't have to personel to be a good 4-3 defense either. No you don't but you're alot closer to being a good 4-3 than you are to being a good 3-4. There's a reason why the majority of the NFL uses the 4-3

Umm, how? We have secondary players who can handle the 3-4 just fine in Rhodes and Revis. I'd have to think about Rhodes a little more but there's no question that Revis is more of a 3-4 corner than a 4-3 CB (even though he'd be great in either scheme). The 4-3 hurts Harris and Coleman, Ellis is solid in both so it doesn't matter, hurts Bryan Thomas, doesn't help Hobson, doesn't really help or hurt Barton since he's doing fine in the 3-4. Only players it significantly helps are Vilma and D-Rob.

And the majority of teams use the 4-3 cause its easier to find players for. That doesn't mean its better. If you can find the right players for the 3-4 than it has the potential to be a more confusing defense since you can be more creative with blitzing. You should know that being a Pats fan. I would think you'd be more of a fan of the scheme.

We'd have just as many holes in the 4-3 as the 3-4 and, on top of that, most of them would be the same problems we have now.

And the majority of teams use the 4-3 cause its easier to find players for. That doesn't mean its better. If you can find the right players for the 3-4 than it has the potential to be a more confusing defense since you can be more creative with blitzing. You should know that being a Pats fan. I would think you'd be more of a fan of the scheme.

We'd have just as many holes in the 4-3 as the 3-4 and, on top of that, most of them would be the same problems we have now.

Great post!

Archived