Same old Herm Spin and ass covering

SouthernJet

Herm gets rid of old offensive playbook

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

20-CHIEFS_SP_010308_DRE_094f.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Coach Herm Edwards recapped the Chiefs' season with GM Carl Peterson during Thursday's season-ending press conference at Arrowhead Stadium. Kansas City finished with a nine-game losing streak and a 4-12 record.

The playbook responsible for the recent high-scoring Chiefs teams but also the worst offense in club history was dumped in the trash when offensive coordinator Mike Solari was fired.

Coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs would take their offense in a different direction next season. Its exact course won’t be determined until Solari’s replacement is hired.

Edwards wouldn’t confirm or deny any names on his wish list, but sources indicated he planned to speak with Texas-El Paso offensive coordinator Eric Price. The son of UTEP head coach Mike Price, the 41-year-old Eric Price once coached as an offensive assistant for Edwards with the New York Jets.

Running mostly a spread offense, UTEP averaged more than 30 points in three of Price’s four seasons as coordinator. The Miners averaged 35.8 points in 2004 (11th in the country) and 33.6 (26th) last season.

Jacksonville quarterbacks coach Mike Shula also could become a candidate. Shula was the coordinator for Tampa Bay in the late ’90s while Edwards was the Bucs’ secondary coach. Shula later was the head coach at Alabama when Brodie Croyle quarterbacked the Crimson Tide.

Edwards said the new coordinator would have experience whether it’s in the NFL or college. Solari was a career offensive-line coach and was new to game-planning and play-calling.

“You want a guy that’s called plays,” Edwards said. “That’s important. He has to have the ability to adjust as the game’s being played and take advantage of people’s weaknesses.

“You want a guy who understands that the system has to be player-friendly and has to be easy for the players to learn. Players come first. It’s not about plays. It’s about players.”

Edwards fired three other offensive assistants this week: John Matsko (line), Charlie Joiner (wide receivers) and James Saxon (running backs). Solari, Joiner and Saxon all coached under former head coach Dick Vermeil.

“When you hire a new offensive coordinator, you have to give him the ability to hire guys that he wants to hire,” Edwards said. “That’s not fair to him to give him too many of the position coaches.”

It’s no coincidence that the two offensive coaches Edwards retained, Jon Embree (tight ends) and Dick Curl (quarterbacks) joined the Chiefs two years ago after Edwards arrived.

“The guys I let go of are good football coaches,” Edwards said. “It’s been intact for seven years. It’s time to do something different.”

The system helped take the Chiefs to unprecedented heights under Vermeil. The Chiefs were annually among the highest scoring teams in the NFL.

The offense slowed in 2006, its first season with Edwards as the head coach and Solari as the coordinator. In 2007, it barely crawled. The Chiefs scored fewer points and ran for fewer yards per game than ever.

Edwards indicated the new system might incorporate some features of the West Coast offense, but it would have many different wrinkles. That would seem to rule out the return of former Chiefs offensive coordinator Paul Hackett.

“I don’t want to call it the West Coast because when you call it that, people say, ‘Oh, that’s a bunch of little, short passes.’ ” Edwards said. “That’s not what we’re going to do. We’re not going to be throwing it in the flat all day. Call it the Chiefs offense, whatever that is.”

Edwards laid out in broad terms his vision for the new system.

Wait, he is the one whjo promoted Solari to Off Coord, and then kept him..why didnt he listen to his own advice 2 years ago???

this guy never stops spinning and trying to get out of self blame..

Wasn't it Herm that said the Chiefs needed to run more and pass less prior to the 2007 season? This guy is all over the map.

He said they need to have a ball control offense, that's why he changed it. but the dumbass didn't know that the Chiefs were 2nd in the league in time of possession in 2005.

How do the players listen to this douche? and look at Peterson in the background, he's just as much an idiot too.

He said they need to have a ball control offense, that's why he changed it. but the dumbass didn't know that the Chiefs were 2nd in the league in time of possession in 2005.

How do the players listen to this douche? and look at Peterson in the background, he's just as much an idiot too.

the thing is, I don't think players do listen to herm much at all these days. he was able to pull wool in ny for 5 yrs cause he came from nowhere.

he is now proven to be clueless & his bull$hit rants & theories carry little water in kc as is clearly indicated by the fans.

He will not last long in kc or the nfl coaching ranks imo

i think peterson is just thinking, "dear god, now my career is dependent on how this idiot fares on the field. i coulda had schottenheimer!!"

i think peterson is just thinking, "dear god, now my career is dependent on how this idiot fares on the field. i coulda had schottenheimer!!"

speaking os schotty...how come i haven't heard his name come up as possible coaches? I hope to god he doesn't land in Miami.

Herm gets rid of old offensive playbook

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Coach Herm Edwards recapped the Chiefs' season with GM Carl Peterson during Thursday's season-ending press conference at Arrowhead Stadium. Kansas City finished with a nine-game losing streak and a 4-12 record.

The playbook responsible for the recent high-scoring Chiefs teams but also the worst offense in club history was dumped in the trash when offensive coordinator Mike Solari was fired.

Coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs would take their offense in a different direction next season. Its exact course won

Although both the Cheifs and Jets finished 4-12 this past season, its clear just from looking at or hearing their pressers that Mangini is the smarter and better coach. Seriously, in Mangini's final presser of the year, he basically put the blame on himself, and said that HE, along with everyone else, has to study what went wrong and what went right, so that HE can make appropriate adjustments going into next season. Also, Mangini labeled himself as a "work in progress", and said that he needs to improve.

Meanwhile, over in KC., Dumby Hermy, who, by the way, reitirated time and time again that he is not going to change offensive gameplans to make the fans happy, has now fired three offensive assistants and said "its all their fault that the offense was boring and predictable."

Although both the Cheifs and Jets finished 4-12 this past season, its clear just from looking at or hearing their pressers that Mangini is the smarter and better coach. Seriously, in Mangini's final presser of the year, he basically put the blame on himself, and said that HE, along with everyone else, has to study what went wrong and what went right, so that HE can make appropriate adjustments going into next season. Also, Mangini labeled himself as a "work in progress", and said that he needs to improve.

Meanwhile, over in KC., Dumby Hermy, who, by the way, reitirated time and time again that he is not going to change offensive gameplans to make the fans happy, has now fired three offensive assistants and said "its all their fault that the offense was boring and predictable."

Spot on post.

You do have to give Herm some credit, he is proving to be very consistent.:P

so basically

Herm takes over the #1 offense for the previous 3 years

he rode it down to middle of the pack and now is getting rid of whatever quality plays he once had to use with that team? LOL

31st in points & 29th in yards is hardly middle of the pack.

2002: #1 points / #4 yards

2003: #1 points / #2 yards

2004: #2 points / #1 yards

2005: #6 points / #1 yards

---------------------------> Herm hired

2006: #15 points / #16 yards

2007: #31 points / #29 yards

he's a football con artist at his finest

How many more times does he get to do this? I honestly think it ends with the chiefs. Besides, recycled coaches are losing their appeal in the nfl (or is it just the old ones).

Of course, he could sneak the chiefs into the playoffs next year then go 5-11 the year after and ask for a contract extension - followed by the chiefs getting rid of him for a 3rd round pick (chiefs fans repeating to themselves "I can't believe we got a pick in return for getting rid of Herm").

In fact, if Herm pulls that off I think he should just say ***** it and run for president.

31st in points & 29th in yards is hardly middle of the pack.

2002: #1 points / #4 yards

2003: #1 points / #2 yards

2004: #2 points / #1 yards

2005: #6 points / #1 yards

---------------------------> Herm hired

2006: #15 points / #16 yards

2007: #31 points / #29 yards

This needs to be posted on a chiefs board followed by a big fat "I told you so."

A chefs fan = Dead fan walking

feel real bad for them

they did not believe at first, they now know that the difference between

Herm and a bucket of sh1t ..... is the bucket

what is biblical phrase?

"Blessed are those that have believed and not seen"

Archived