True story....see if you can guess this former Yankee.

NIGHT STALKER

This is a true story that happened to me. I won't say when it was because it would most definitely give it away...but, it's a true story and it's too bad because I will never change my opinion of this guy.

I was at this bar with a friend of mine sitting near the entrance way. My friend says..."hey, look who just walked in" and when this player comes past us I say to him..."Blank, let's do good for the Yankees this year". I wasn't expecting this answer, but the reply was..."Blank only does good for Blank".

My friend and I just looked at each other in disbelief. Several minutes later, the bartender comes over to us and says..."Blank wants to buy you two a drink". I said..."tell blank to shove it up his ass". Now, I don't know what the bartender told blank, it is a long bar that wrapped around. But, that is a true story that my friend and I still bring up every so often.

Any idea who it is?

Come on guys, I thought you people were better than this. If I give you a hint, you'll know who it is...okay, I know I'm older than most here by a lot (LOL)...think back.

Here's the hint...at the time this occurred, it's spring training and this guy has never taken a regular season swing for the Yanks.

My first guess would have been Henderson, who always spoke in the 3rd person, about "Ricky". If it wasn't him, how about Mel Hall?

Don't tell us that it was Reggie. His charismatic reputation is well known.

Bingo! You have to remember, when I was growing up, the Yankees were in the fall classic almost every freaking year. After '62 it was a prettly long draught not winning. So, back then we were excited as hell to get this guy, but never in a million years did we expect to have a comeback like that...he made up for it in the series, but I won't forgive him for that remark...it wasn't called for.

And for poster 80, yes we all have bad days, he just happened to be a public figure picking the wrong day.

Bingo! You have to remember, when I was growing up, the Yankees were in the fall classic almost every freaking year. After '62 it was a prettly long draught not winning. So, back then we were excited as hell to get this guy, but never in a million years did we expect to have a comeback like that...he made up for it in the series, but I won't forgive him for that remark...it wasn't called for.

And for poster 80, yes we all have bad days, he just happened to be a public figure picking the wrong day.

That is a good story...

It makes sense now as well considering you had the "I brought my star with me" comments along with the "I'm the straw that stirs the drink" article that came out in Sport Magazine that year.

That is a good story...

It makes sense now as well considering you had the "I brought my star with me" comments along with the "I'm the straw that stirs the drink" article that came out in Sport Magazine that year.

It was at a place called Yesterdays (still there) in Ft. Lauderdale. To finish up the story, I had tickets to game 2 of the WS that same year ('77) and I was stuck in the hospital with pneumonia. Yes, even Floridians can get pneumonia.

A. NS, I can never forgive you for turning down free drinks

and...

B. How did you all not know this was Reggie? Did any of you watch The Bronx Is Burning? Comeon now. I wish I was here and not at work to answer this one.

I met Reggie in the weirdest way. I was at a game in Anaheim , on line waiting to buy some food. I was wearing a 44 Yankee jersey. Someone came up and tugged on my jersey from behind. I turned around and it was Reggie. He said " hey, nice jersey ! ....."

. I was like WTF. He shook my hand , I told him I was a big fan. He asked me if I had a marker to sign it for me, .....I found one. he signed my jersey and went on his way with his 4 bodyguards. This was in 1999. I have heard horror stories about him. I am 34 and grew up worshiping him. he lived up to everything I expected . Maybe I am wrong, but it's just my experience.

I met Reggie in the weirdest way. I was at a game in Anaheim , on line waiting to buy some food. I was wearing a 44 Yankee jersey. Someone came up and tugged on my jersey from behind. I turned around and it was Reggie. He said " hey, nice jersey ! ....."

. I was like WTF. He shook my hand , I told him I was a big fan. He asked me if I had a marker to sign it for me, .....I found one. he signed my jersey and went on his way with his 4 bodyguards. This was in 1999. I have heard horror stories about him. I am 34 and grew up worshiping him. he lived up to everything I expected . Maybe I am wrong, but it's just my experience.

You should have stopped him from killing the Queen.

I've met him several times, and he's always seemed like a good guy to me.

I also loved Munson. I have heard the same if not worst from him. As far as Billy, well, we all know enough about him. I guess it all depends when you catch the people. I've met many of the current Yankees. A few are a-holes, but then again, I'm sure some of you have different stories.

I met Reggie on top of the Green Monster in '06. He was a dick. Sincere Sox fans tried to chat with him and he was just flat out rude. He barely gave me the time of day.

good to hear. the rivalry is outside the lines too. i hate my best friend during baseball season.

Archived