Rumor: Mets back in the hunt for Santana

Zeebers

Twins are looking at Mulvey, Humber, Gomez and Martinez (Fernando, not Pedro) to get this deal done. The Mets are trying to keep Martinez. Would you do it if you were the Mets? I would seriously consider it, you'd basically give up your whole system for the best pitcher in baseball.

If Minaya pulls off that trade that would be a heist. None of those guys are can't-miss prospects. Martinez is the only of that group the Mets would have to be wary of giving up and only because he is so young and has the potential to become a star (though he hasn't shown it yet). If Minaya does that and ends up not giving up Reyes I will give him major props.

Yes! thank god! let him go to the Mets! that would be the best outcome for the Yankees!

I wonder if Hank Steinbrenner will tip off the press on the Mets latest moves also?

:) .....Hank is gonna be a blast this season.

Mets would have to be FA players for the next 3-5 years if this trade is made but well worth it as our farm is average right now anyway.

No one gives a **** about santana anymore. I wish this guy would test positive for steroids and be banned already so I don't have to sit through another 3 months of trade rumors about the guys. **** santana, I hope he gets the middle finger of his pitching hand bitten off by a rabid Colombian midget.

No one gives a **** about santana anymore. I wish this guy would test positive for steroids and be banned already so I don't have to sit through another 3 months of trade rumors about the guys. **** santana, I hope he gets the middle finger of his pitching hand bitten off by a rabid Colombian midget.

Not his fault man. If it was his choice he'd been gone by now. Blame the Twins.

Today's NY Post actually listed 5 prospects that the Mets would have to trade.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01112008/sports/mets/just_say_nohan_403040.htm

I am not that up to speed with a couple of those guys, but it seems to me that this would break the Mets Farm System. However, Santana solves the Mets biggest need right now, a top-of-the-rotation starter. It also puts them ahead of teh Phils. And the 2 best hitters on the Phils are the lefties, Howard and Utley, so that also helps.

However, the Mets will have very little in the System to get reinforcements in the even of injuries. SO that means Omar would have to be active in the FA market for any assistance, or the trade market.

Today's NY Post actually listed 5 prospects that the Mets would have to trade.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01112008/sports/mets/just_say_nohan_403040.htm

I am not that up to speed with a couple of those guys, but it seems to me that this would break the Mets Farm System. However, Santana solves the Mets biggest need right now, a top-of-the-rotation starter. It also puts them ahead of teh Phils. And the 2 best hitters on the Phils are the lefties, Howard and Utley, so that also helps.

However, the Mets will have very little in the System to get reinforcements in the even of injuries. SO that means Omar would have to be active in the FA market for any assistance, or the trade market.

Believe me, if it breaks the Mets farm system, it only breaks what little was left of it. The only players in that reported deal the Mets should be wary of trading for a guy like Santana are Martinez and Guerra, and only because they are so young and have so much potential, even though they haven't shown it as of yet. I'd be surprised if even one of those prospects becomes a major league star.

Seriously, who gives a ****?

Agreed, but I think that was more of a response so someone else taking a shot at the Mets for having a big group of Latin ballplayers. But as you said, in the end, I don't give a rats@ss if they're blue as long as they can play. Well, it'd be nice if they're clean also .

Agreed, but I think that was more of a response so someone else taking a shot at the Mets for having a big group of Latin ballplayers. But as you said, in the end, I don't give a rats@ss if they're blue as long as they can play. Well, it'd be nice if they're clean also .

If http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=32423&cat=2 this guy can play baseball, he can play for my team. :character0293:

Believe me, if it breaks the Mets farm system, it only breaks what little was left of it. The only players in that reported deal the Mets should be wary of trading for a guy like Santana are Martinez and Guerra, and only because they are so young and have so much potential, even though they haven't shown it as of yet. I'd be surprised if even one of those prospects becomes a major league star.

Actually, Gomez is very highly regarded, as per what I can see. And the Mets have been talking up Humber for eons, it seems.

Top line starters are tough to come by.

But will getting Santana get this team to win now while selling their future?

Oliver Perez is a FA in 2009.

Maine is tied up until 20012.

Pedro is a FA in 2009.

El Duque is a FA in 2009.

So they will need at least 2 new starters in 2009 assuming that Perez is resigned and Mets get Santana. If they dont get Santana they need 3 SP's.

Relief-

Wagner- club option in 2010.

Heilman- Arb eligible. FA in 2011.

Wise- 1yr deal 1.2 mil. gets 750,000 if we cut him in spring training. nice contract Omar.

Sanchez- Arb eligible. FA in 2010.

Feliciano- Arb eligible. FA in 2011.

Schoeneweis- FA in 2010.

Bullpen in good shape. Now they need to perform.

Catcher- Schneider is signed through 2009. So we will need a new catcher in 2010. But Schneider sucks now and we need a new catcher as soon as possible.

1b- Delgado has a team option for 2009. Could be between 12-16 mil with a 4 mil buyout.

2b- Castillo- signed to a new 4 year deal. Not a great player, but should be good enough for 2 years until we can find another.

ss- Reyes- club option in 2011 and FA in 2012.

3b- Wright- FA in 2014.

LF-Alou- bwaahaa... He should have been put out to stud before last year.

CF- Beltran- Mr Clutch- With us until 2012. sigh.

RF- Ryan Church- Arbitration eligible next year. Not a FA until 2012. I sense he will be non-tendered one of these years....

So the Mets will need 3 starting pitchers in 2009. A new catcher. A new first baseman. A new left fielder. A new right fielder.

We are in deeper sh!t than one starting pitcher. This team is not going to win it this year. Time to scrap 2008 and focus on building a real winner for 2009. But Omar wont since he is in the last year of his contract.

Archived