Dolphins number one pick in draft up for sale

faba

MOBILE, Ala. - Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland might as well have put the No. 1 pick in this year's NFL draft on eBay.

When asked by the NFL Network about the team's approach with the top selection, Ireland said: "We're open for business."

Minutes later, he backed up his willingness to deal the pick by pointing out the 1-15 team he inherited has many needs.

Related links

"Rome wasn't built in a day, and this won't be built in a day either," Ireland said. "The No. 1 pick is no different from the 22nd pick. You've got to make the right selection. You just can't miss on it. We're going to do everything in our power to make the right choices, whether it be to take the pick or move down. We'll listen to all offers."

Unfortunately for the Dolphins this isn't a buyer's market, and two issues will complicate the Dolphins' ability to move the selection.

First, draft experts and scouts presently view only five players

Im sure the #6 pick with an added player might be worth a shot.Only question who in the 2008 draft is worthy of a #1 pick. And what added player.

And who would the Jets pick at #1.

I disagree; let's stick with what we got. No need to risk trading 3 picks for one guy that we don't even know will live up to our expectations.

When there is not a clear and obvious choice for the #1 spot - no one is worthy of the #1 spot. Dolphins picked the wrong year to lose 15 games.

wait a minute DM-I thought that McFadden was the second coming of Reggie Bush who was the second coming of Jesus Himself?

wait a minute DM-I thought that McFadden was the second coming of Reggie Bush who was the second coming of Jesus Himself?

i can't think of any player other than Brady and Manning (recently) worth the kind of money these guys are getting. This may be the year that the number one slot decreases in money spent from the year before.

Rookies are too hit or miss, and the past few #1's have been average to below average (aside from Williams, he is a damn good player).

Former Dolphins secondary coach Mel Phillips, who was fired from the Dolphins after serving 23 years as an assistant, showed up at the Senior Bowl looking for a job. He initially didn't want to attend but said his wife forced him to.

"I'm not done yet. I think I can still coach," Phillips said.

Omar Kelly can be reached at okelly@sun-sentinel.com.

Man, you would think because you were in a cool job like a football coach that you could avoid this confrontation, but it appears you just can't.

no, no, no, don't want the #1 pick and don't need the#1 pick.

Exactly. Everyone hates the idea that we won a "meaningless game," but that just gives us a chance to get another drob and be burdened with a huge salary...much like we are now.

The talent is very deep, but there isn't a huge dropoff from the #1-#6 spots. I think we are in a good position; trading down is more likely than if we were in the top 5 and if not, we still have the ability to get a player who will make an immediate impact.

The whole concept of the #1 overall pick getting the kind of money they do/will is insane. All that money for a totally unproven college kid who might be the next Ryan Leaf or Mike Williams. No wonder vets like Pete Kendall get pissy over the $$. Who can blame them?

The whole concept of the #1 overall pick getting the kind of money they do/will is insane. All that money for a totally unproven college kid who might be the next Ryan Leaf or Mike Williams. No wonder vets like Pete Kendall get pissy over the $$. Who can blame them?

I've been saying this for years. No prospect is worth that money. If and only if he turns into a superstar (like Mario actually looked like), then you can say in hindsight it was worth it. But I think even NO was caught off-guard when Bush wasn't signed to Houston pre-draft '06. This time in '06 Bush was the "no-brainer" to be #1 unless someone wanted Leinart instead due to a hole at QB. I don't remember anyone discussing another player as even a remote possibility at #1-2.

As Bit said, a LOT can change (and a lot WILL change) between now & late April.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2008/01/fins-guessing-c.html

also read the comments on this youtube page

raiders fans want him, rams fans want him

3 months out but Long could be working his way to the top ladies and gents.

If Chris Long is the real deal he may be the smart pick at #1. Jake Long is good but at this stage he looks more like D'Brick than Joe Thomas and Run DMC will get killed behind that hideous Miami O-line. Besides, don't the Dolphins already have Ronnie Brown and Jesse Chatman? RB is the one position the Dolphins are actually strong at on offense.

McFadden is the second coming of Reggie Bush. A nice, versatile scatback who should be drafted in the top 15, not top 5.

Archived