Denver interested in DRob - Rocky Mountain News

MIDDLE MEN: With free agency thin at defensive tackle, the Broncos have expressed an interest in acquiring Detroit's talented but enigmatic Shaun Rogers, who's on the trade block. But one other name to watch via that route is the New York Jets'

Dewayne Robertson, who is only 26 years old and five years removed from being a top-10 pick.

Robertson has a balky contract that includes a high base salary and cap figure in excess of $11 million that will need restructuring if he's ultimately dealt.

But the feelers the Jets are putting out at the combine to gauge the market, which certainly has piqued the Broncos' interest, has more to do with the defensive tackle's lack of a fit within New York's 3-4 scheme than finances.

Robertson is regarded as a high-character performer and would be a solid acquisition as an experienced player in his prime at a need position with Denver.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-stopping-run/

Saw this posted at another place ;) and thought it was interesting enough to post here. Could the Jets somehow work out a deal that involves both Robertson and Javon Walker? Maybe a straight up? I'm hoping the Jets are dealing both Robertson and Vilma (and maybe Coles) before the draft or on draft day.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-stopping-run/

Saw this posted at another place ;) and thought it was interesting enough to post here. Could the Jets somehow work out a deal that involves both Robertson and Javon Walker? Maybe a straight up? I'm hoping the Jets are dealing both Robertson and Vilma (and maybe Coles) before the draft or on draft day.

I think D-Rob can be a great single gap DT in a 4-3 defense. Similar to Vilma as MLB in a base 4-3. The team that gets him will be getting a good player. Hopefully, the Jets will use the added cap space and/or draft picks wisely. But there is no question the Jets need to replace these guys with players that fit the 3-4. Some offensive talent wouldn't hurt, either.

Or, parlay the extra cap space into 2009 using bogus incentives.

That can be done without being too fancy or employing bogus anything. Just give these new guys part of the up-front money as roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses. It eats up the 2008 cap room and saves cap space every year they're on the roster. Plus it prevents the dreaded accelerated cap hit if they totally suck or suffer a career-ending injury.

There's enough in departures to clear up well over $30M in cap space. I have to figure out what the base # we're starting at is. Some say $17M & some say $27M. I haven't tallied the total myself. But there should be little trouble clearing up $15M more than that.

DRob - $5M

Barrett - $3M

JMac - $3M

Barton - $3M

Vilma - $1M

These are figures that leave no residual cap hit after 2008, mind you. And it doesn't include possible departures like Chad, Coles, etc.

So let's say for the sake of easy mathematics that two players we sign to a new deal are given 5-year contracts. Let's further say we sign big-name FA's for the OL & doll out $15M for Faneca, and $15M for Adams as bonuses. That's $30M in bonus $. Divide that over the 5 years and collectively those players' bonuses get amortized to $6M of cap space every year if it's given as signing bonus. Say we instead give them that money as roster bonuses. Well it'll cost us $30M on this year's cap, which is a huge number. But after that, the only cap hit is their salary, which is traditionally low for the first 2-3 years. So by the time the salary jumps up, we have the option of paying it, renegotiating it, or just cutting/trading the player with no negative cap ramifications. All it would do is save money since we already absorbed the bonus $ cap hit in year 1 of their respective contracts.

Now that's an extreme example and no one gives out a $15M roster bonus (let alone to two players each in the same season). But it doesn't all have to be black & white. The $30M bonuses from above can be $20M roster bonus and $10M signing bonus for example. So we save $10M on this year's cap for other players & those 2 players' respective amortized signing bonus only comes to $1M/yr. Barely a blip on a cap that will be over $120M next year.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. And we won't even have to get too cute...or cheat... to do it. ;)

I think D-Rob can be a great single gap DT in a 4-3 defense.

Why would you think that? He was average at best as a 3 tech DT when Herm was here.

if anyone is willing to give anything for D-Rob i would take it in a heart beat.

i doubt it will happen

Why would D-Rob agree to restructure his contract in a trade situation, when he knows he will most likely be released, and will be able to work out a deal with any team in the NFL?

Why would you think that? He was average at best as a 3 tech DT when Herm was here.

if anyone is willing to give anything for D-Rob i would take it in a heart beat.

i doubt it will happen

Why would D-Rob agree to restructure his contract in a trade situation, when he knows he will most likely be released, and will be able to work out a deal with any team in the NFL?

I couldn't DISAGREE more. What makes you think the Jets would release D'Rob? He's a decent, high character DT playing a high demand position , Don't for get he's also only 26. No way he gets an outright release from the Jets. That's crazy thinking.

I couldn't DISAGREE more. What makes you think the Jets would release D'Rob? He's a decent, high character DT playing a high demand position , Don't for get he's also only 26. No way he gets an outright release from the Jets. That's crazy thinking.

If they think they can better use that $5M elsewhere they won't have much choice. Since other teams are "showing interest" there is no reason for him to agree to a pay cut. Somebody will pick him up and pay him. That means the Jets will be limited to keeping him at his current salary, trading him for whatever they can get (salary dump) or cutting him.

Very true. Even though he is a poor fit at the nose tackle position, which as an NFL football player he obviously knows, he hasn't complained to the media, sat out or done anything else but give it his all in every game. If you could combine his attitude, character and work ethic with Rogers' body and ability, than it'd be perfect. However, the fact that there are rumors around Indy that the jets are gauging interest in drob is good news for us.

That can be done without being too fancy or employing bogus anything. Just give these new guys part of the up-front money as roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses. It eats up the 2008 cap room and saves cap space every year they're on the roster. Plus it prevents the dreaded accelerated cap hit if they totally suck or suffer a career-ending injury.

There's enough in departures to clear up well over $30M in cap space. I have to figure out what the base # we're starting at is. Some say $17M & some say $27M. I haven't tallied the total myself. But there should be little trouble clearing up $15M more than that.

DRob - $5M

Barrett - $3M

JMac - $3M

Barton - $3M

Vilma - $1M

These are figures that leave no residual cap hit after 2008, mind you. And it doesn't include possible departures like Chad, Coles, etc.

So let's say for the sake of easy mathematics that two players we sign to a new deal are given 5-year contracts. Let's further say we sign big-name FA's for the OL & doll out $15M for Faneca, and $15M for Adams as bonuses. That's $30M in bonus $. Divide that over the 5 years and collectively those players' bonuses get amortized to $6M of cap space every year if it's given as signing bonus. Say we instead give them that money as roster bonuses. Well it'll cost us $30M on this year's cap, which is a huge number. But after that, the only cap hit is their salary, which is traditionally low for the first 2-3 years. So by the time the salary jumps up, we have the option of paying it, renegotiating it, or just cutting/trading the player with no negative cap ramifications. All it would do is save money since we already absorbed the bonus $ cap hit in year 1 of their respective contracts.

Now that's an extreme example and no one gives out a $15M roster bonus (let alone to two players each in the same season). But it doesn't all have to be black & white. The $30M bonuses from above can be $20M roster bonus and $10M signing bonus for example. So we save $10M on this year's cap for other players & those 2 players' respective amortized signing bonus only comes to $1M/yr. Barely a blip on a cap that will be over $120M next year.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. And we won't even have to get too cute...or cheat... to do it. ;)

that explanation made my head hurt. a lot.

Well, the same Rocky Mountain news seems to think that the broncos and lions are close to a deal for rogers, per rotoworld.

"The Rocky Mountain News reports that the Lions are close to agreeing to trade DT Shaun Rogers to Denver. A deal couldn't be official until Friday.

The terms are unclear, but this is typical high-risk, high-reward Mike Shanahan move. We think it's worth it. Rogers' effort and conditioning are suspect, but he's a Pro Bowl quality defensive tackle in his prime. Denver is desperate for some help upfront and Rogers is a quick fix. Its uncertain if he'll get new money as part of the deal. Feb. 25 - 6:15 pm et"

I'm sure they've been interested in both and Rogers has a smaller cap number. Not only that, but Rogers also has been to, you know, The Pro Bowl. Plus, the Jets probably arn't the easiest franchise to negotiate a trade with, I'm sure.

Not good news for the Jets if those reports from RotoWorld are true.

I think D-Rob can be a great single gap DT in a 4-3 defense. Similar to Vilma as MLB in a base 4-3. The team that gets him will be getting a good player. Hopefully, the Jets will use the added cap space and/or draft picks wisely. But there is no question the Jets need to replace these guys with players that fit the 3-4. Some offensive talent wouldn't hurt, either.

What makes you think that? He already had a chance at that and he was bad at it then.

Well, the same Rocky Mountain news seems to think that the broncos and lions are close to a deal for rogers, per rotoworld.

"The Rocky Mountain News reports that the Lions are close to agreeing to trade DT Shaun Rogers to Denver. A deal couldn't be official until Friday.

The terms are unclear, but this is typical high-risk, high-reward Mike Shanahan move. We think it's worth it. Rogers' effort and conditioning are suspect, but he's a Pro Bowl quality defensive tackle in his prime. Denver is desperate for some help upfront and Rogers is a quick fix. Its uncertain if he'll get new money as part of the deal. Feb. 25 - 6:15 pm et"

That's gay.

**** Tangini!!!

F-YOU accountant.

F-YOU accountant.

IJ, Madmike, 1st of all we're not sure if that report is true or not. 2nd of all, even if it is true, we tried. The fact may be that the Broncos can get more out of Rogers then they can from Robertson, and they also can probably give up something a little more valuable.

Plus, the Jets rumor was only reported on one site by one lions blogger who may well have just realized that the Lions were shopping Rogers, were interested in Vilma and that the Jets were shopping Vilma and Drob, and the guy may have just put it all together and worked up the possibility of Rogers to the Jets.

Who knows if either side was interested in a deal involving Rogers...

IJ, Madmike, 1st of all we're not sure if that report is true or not. 2nd of all, even if it is true, we tried. The fact may be that the Broncos can get more out of Rogers then they can from Robertson, and they also can probably give up something a little more valuable.

Plus, the Jets rumor was only reported on one site by one lions blogger who may well have just realized that the Lions were shopping Rogers, were interested in Vilma and that the Jets were shopping Vilma and Drob, and the guy may have just put it all together and worked up the possibility of Rogers to the Jets.

Who knows if either side was interested in a deal involving Rogers...

It doesn'th have to be a proven fact for some people to treat it as such....just sayin'

Archived