Faneca a jet on friday?

Bravejamriot

"Word around the league" is that the Jets have already negotiated a deal for free agent Alan Faneca that would guarantee him about $20 million.

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat makes it clear that this is a rumor, but the Jets are known to be after Faneca. The Jets are still trying to replace LG Pete Kendall. They probably should've bucked up and paid him last summer.

Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat

I like the idea of going after Faneca but not if we are going to be paying that much money. He was on the decline last year and he's not going to be getting better. It doesn't make sense to give 20 mil guaranteed to a player on the decline. Yeah a big veteran presence on the line will be great for DBrick and Mangold but do we really need to spend that much?

I don't mind $20M, if it's four years or more and the last two are over $10M in salary. We need to know how frontloaded it is.

It says $20M of GUARANTEED money, not a $20M contract. $20M guaranteed usually means that's how much we pay him in year one when you combine his bonus money & salary for the year.

Beggars can't be choosers.

If that is what it takes to start cleaning up that disaster of an OL then so be it.

Faneca was on alot of people's wish list's (Mine included). If he comes here then at least that is a start.

But until the news is official I'll hold off.

I like the signing I just dont like the price tag.This team has MANY needs and more holes to fill.With the market being thin at this position we are obviously overpaying for Faneca.

I know it you know it and he knows it.

Its not even just the thin market.

Everyone has money to spend, and as a result for a player like Faneca who has a lot of demand, he will likely create a bidding war of some kind. Therefore we give him big bucks fast so he is off the market before anyone else can make an offer.

Thats just the sad state of the NFL now, just imagine in 2011 when there is potentially no cap at all. This could seem like chump change.

Honestly, you can do a lot worse than Faneca. A lot worse. Yes he wasn't that impressive last year and needs to put on some weight. But I'd rather have this one experienced guy between the younger O-line players. We'll worry about drafting another guard when we do better and can bring them along slower.

Honestly, you can do a lot worse than Faneca. A lot worse. Yes he wasn't that impressive last year and needs to put on some weight. But I'd rather have this one experienced guy between the younger O-line players. We'll worry about drafting another guard when we do better and can bring them along slower.

I'd rather the Jets draft a mauler like Branden Albert or Gosder Cherilus and move him inside to Guard. Faneca did not look very good last year. Remember the Jets game when he got schooled by D-Rob of all people?

This isn't as bad as the Thomas Jones deal b/c Faneca is a more valuable player but our FA money should be going to someone younger.

I'm okay with this as long as we lock him and D'Brick up in some Italian restaurant.

Wait, are you trying to say that all Italians are fat? I'm Italian, and I'm not...err...nevermind. Bad example :)

Give Brick some of my grandmother's cooking...that will fatten him up really quick :)

I like the signing I just dont like the price tag.This team has MANY needs and more holes to fill.With the market being thin at this position we are obviously overpaying for Faneca.

I know it you know it and he knows it.

Wow, some people never cease to confuse me.

You want the FO to go out and bring in some big name players, you critisize Tangini and Johnson when we dont use all our money, but when we are rumored to spend some of that money on a big name player, you critisize of overpaying?

You cant have it both ways people.

You mean like Sean Alexander?

Wow, some people never cease to confuse me.

You want the FO to go out and bring in some big name players, you critisize Tangini and Johnson when we dont use all our money, but when we are rumored to spend some of that money on a big name player, you critisize of overpaying?

You cant have it both ways people.

I dont want it both ways.This team has MANY holes to fill.Overpaying for Faneca the name will not silence the critics.As mentioned when we played Pittsburgh I thought he was terrible.

I dont want it both ways.This team has MANY holes to fill.Overpaying for Faneca the name will not silence the critics.As mentioned when we played Pittsburgh I thought he was terrible.

But we have the money to sign him and 2 or 3 other 2nd tier FA's and still go into the draft with enough to sign all our picks.

Faneca is much better then anything we've had the past 5 or 6 years...

But we have the money to sign him and 2 or 3 other 2nd tier FA's and still go into the draft with enough to sign all our picks.

Faneca is much better then anything we've had the past 5 or 6 years...

I agree and hope we sign him.Its just the overpaying thing that sucks.But I guess we dont have a choice.

We may very well wind up with Faneca and Samuel.I dont think Mangini is done trimming the fat I say more to come............

Look, the cap has gone up tremendously and will continue to do so. We have alot of money to spend and have a glaring need. I personally wanted Lilja, but he's gone. We need to sign Faneca, we don't really have a choice. If we have to overpay to get him, so be it.

Archived