Calvin Pace cuts his choices to 3.

NYjet10

Quote:

"02/26...FA News & Cuts...Arizona Cardinals DE/OLB Calvin Pace has stated that he will sign with either the New York Jets, Miami Dolphins or San Francisco 49'ers in the upcoming free-agency period"

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/AlsHotNwsRms.html

Theres a rumor of us signing Faneca on Friday, and now we have a good chance at Pace. It's a good day so far.

Quote:

"02/26...FA News & Cuts...Arizona Cardinals DE/OLB Calvin Pace has stated that he will sign with either the New York Jets, Miami Dolphins or San Francisco 49'ers in the upcoming free-agency period"

Sigh...Miami

Will make more money off the exact same contract offer, and Parcells, if he wants him--will push for him hard

Nice. All 34 teams obviously because he has realized that he is a 34 OLB and not a 43 Defensive End. Now the question becomes this for the Jets: Do you sign Calvin Pace, a guy who much like Bryan Thomas was a former 1st round pick who all of a sudden had a great year OR do you wait out and hope for Vernon Gholston to be there on April 26th and select him win the 6th overall pick in the draft.

Should be interesting. For some reason, I just don't see him ending up in San Francisco if Lance Briggs does indeed sign there, and with Miami, they already have Jason Taylor and Joey Porter (Both OLB's in the 34) for when they switch to the 34.

This guy could very well become the newest member of the Jets.

Nice. All 34 teams obviously because he has realized that he is a 34 OLB and not a 43 Defensive End. Now the question becomes this for the Jets: Do you sign Calvin Pace, a guy who much like Bryan Thomas was a former 1st round pick who all of a sudden had a great year OR do you wait out and hope for Vernon Gholston to be there on April 26th and select him win the 6th overall pick in the draft.

Should be interesting. For some reason, I just don't see him ending up in San Francisco if Lance Briggs does indeed sign there, and with Miami, they already have Jason Taylor and Joey Porter (Both OLB's in the 34) for when they switch to the 34.

I hope so. He really seems like a relatively low risk/high reward kind of guy. Get some decent production, thats all I wanna see.

I'd rather take a guy who we know can play in the 34 as oppose to somebody who should be able to.

In terms of OLB make Pace a priority with Ghoulston as a backup should he go somewhere else.

Hmm. Like 124 said very Bryan Thomas like career however from watching him, he forces pressure a lot more often than Thomas does.

If we get him I still think we should draft Gholston.

I've asked this a bunch of times and can't remember a specific answer, but why do people want to sign pace and then draft gholston. We'd have to sign gholston to roughly a 40 million deal for 5 years (going by what landry got last year), we have thomas and his 25 million dollar extension plus the 1.5 million dolalrs bowens will be getting; signing pace seems just seems like too much money into one position. If we sign pace than i think the chances of drafting mcfadden are a bit higher or go in a completely different direction.

I'd rather take a guy who we know can play in the 34 as oppose to somebody who should be able to.

In terms of OLB make Pace a priority with Ghoulston as a backup should he go somewhere else.

I'm sorry C-Mart28, but Bryan Thomas came out of nowhere after switching to the 34, had a great 2006 season, signed a five year extension and went nowhere. I'm not going to believe that Calvin Pace is any different. If the Jets don't believe Gholston is their man at 6 or they don't believe he'll be there, then by all means, sign Pace. But just be aware that he might not live up to expectations. We all know how Thomas faired. I fear Pace is BT Part 2.

I've asked this a bunch of times and can't remember a specific answer, but why do people want to sign pace and then draft gholston. We'd have to sign gholston to roughly a 40 million deal for 5 years (going by what landry got last year), we have thomas and his 25 million dollar extension plus the 1.5 million dolalrs bowens will be getting; signing pace seems just seems like too much money into one position. If we sign pace than i think the chances of drafting mcfadden are a bit higher or go in a completely different direction.

Why'd the Giants have Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora and Justin tuck on the same team???

I dunno but it sure as Hell worked out okay for them

My point - You can never ever have enough edge rushers.

Why'd the Giants have Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora and Justin tuck on the same team???

I'm sorry IJ, but I don't think the Giants can be used as part of the argument. Justin Tuck was drafted to be the replacment of Michael Strahan. If Michael Strahan is 28 years old the year Tuck enters the NFL Draft, Tuck is playing elsewhere right now. The Jets will not sign Pace and then draft Gholston. No way, no how.

However, releasing Thomas and signing Pace and drafting Gholston is something I'd welcome. :beer:

I'm sorry IJ, but I don't think the Giants can be used as part of the argument. Justin Tuck was drafted to be the replacment of Michael Strahan. If Michael Strahan is 28 years old the year Tuck enters the NFL Draft, Tuck is playing elsewhere right now. The Jets will not sign Pace and then draft Gholston. No way, no how.

However, releasing Thomas and signing Pace and drafting Gholston is something I'd welcome. :beer:

I'm just saying that it is great to have multiple pass rushers, not just one or two. the Giants proved this by pass rushing their way to a SB. That's my point.

And totally agree about Thomas, he flat out sucks and it pisses me off that I know I'm going to have to put up with him for another season.

If we sign pace and faneca and maybe assante or another o-lineman and actually trade for a guy like rogers, who do you think we take at #6? Do we look to move Coles and draft a WR? Do we grab run DMC? do we look to trade down? I think if we pick up all of these guys it gives us the opportunity to draft the best guy on the board when we do pick, or even gives us the opportunity to stock up on picks. I like the flexibility this would give us, even if we have to slightly operpay for a few of these guys. I don't think we should screw up our cap for these guys, but we do have some room and should use it.

Problem is there are only two edges. Tuck had much of his success on the inside. Extra pass rushers are always good, but I don't think Pace's big skill is rushing the passer. Everybody acts like he had this "Bryan Thomas" breakout season, but he only had 6 sacks. Same as Hobson last year. I think he's a good athlete with good size that can play both outside and inside. Versatility would be key, especially if we don't know what we are going to add in the draft.

I'm sorry C-Mart28, but Bryan Thomas came out of nowhere after switching to the 34, had a great 2006 season, signed a five year extension and went nowhere. I'm not going to believe that Calvin Pace is any different. If the Jets don't believe Gholston is their man at 6 or they don't believe he'll be there, then by all means, sign Pace. But just be aware that he might not live up to expectations. We all know how Thomas faired. I fear Pace is BT Part 2.

Calvin Pace will play Victor Hobson's old position which is the same position he played in Arizona.

Guys, I just got off the phone with Calvin. He says he will sign with the Jets next week and that he wants to do an online chat here at JetNation.

Start listing your questions and I'll save them to a word document for easier access when we set up the chat.

thanks

Guys, I just got off the phone with Calvin. He says he will sign with the Jets next week and that he wants to do an online chat here at JetNation.

Start listing your questions and I'll save them to a word document for easier access when we set up the chat.

thanks

Yeah if he's about to sign that big of a contract ask him for some money for me will ya??

Thanks.;-)

Problem is there are only two edges. Tuck had much of his success on the inside. Extra pass rushers are always good, but I don't think Pace's big skill is rushing the passer. Everybody acts like he had this "Bryan Thomas" breakout season, but he only had 6 sacks. Same as Hobson last year. I think he's a good athlete with good size that can play both outside and inside. Versatility would be key, especially if we don't know what we are going to add in the draft.

True but if like you said signing Pace won't provide us with that great a pass rush then what will??

I think we should draft a pass rusher this year, we need one from somewhere if we're ever going to become a consistent winner.

Spin: The Cardinals have a team option on Pace this offseason and want to lock the 27-year-old up to a long-term deal. He has been consistent throughout the season and is part of a strong linebacker corps that represents the heart of Arizona's defense.

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/resources/playernews?playerId=4476

Pace will play stong side linebacker for us (the one over the TE on the left side). This is what Hobson played for us and the reason Pace is considered a good pass rusher dispite his relatively low sack numbers. Thomas will stay on the weak side (generally the blitzing side). Both large LBers will give us the ability to switch to a 46 in a minutes notice.

True but if like you said signing Pace won't provide us with that great a pass rush then what will??

I think we should draft a pass rusher this year, we need one from somewhere if we're ever going to become a consistent winner.

To get a great pass rush, you either sign a great pass rusher (IMO Pace is not one, Gholston may be) or you manufacture it with schemes. Pace should be much better blitzing than Hobson.

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/resources/playernews?playerId=4476

Pace will play stong side linebacker for us (the one over the TE on the left side). This is what Hobson played for us and the reason Pace is considered a good pass rusher dispite his relatively low sack numbers. Thomas will stay on the weak side (generally the blitzing side). Both large LBers will give us the ability to switch to a 46 in a minutes notice.

I'm not sure I understand what you are quoting. Not sure what point ESPN fantasy football is making. I agree that Pace would probably take the strong side. That's where Hobson was and he's gone. I like the idea of having to converted DEs on the edge that have already proven they can play OLB.

OTOH, I don't think Pace playing strong side is etched in stone. Pace played the strong side because they had Dansby to rush the passer in AZ. Dansby would be more likely to dictate the alignment than Bryan Thomas. Pace apparently also played some games at ILB which may come in handy if they draft Gholston. Barton isn't going to be around forever.

To get a great pass rush, you either sign a great pass rusher (IMO Pace is not one, Gholston may be) or you manufacture it with schemes. Pace should be much better blitzing than Hobson.

Personally I don't trust either Sutton or Mangini to do much damage with their schemes, I'd rather we could just do it with talent TBH. I'm so sick of QB's having all ****ing day to throw against us.

Personally I don't trust either Sutton or Mangini to do much damage with their schemes, I'd rather we could just do it with talent TBH. I'm so sick of QB's having all ****ing day to throw against us.

Honestly I fully trust Mangini to do damage with his schemes as the defense over the last two seasons has seemed to pick up and do much better after the bye when Mangini seems to take over. I'm going to be furious if Sutton is still the defensive coordinator for this team when the season starts. I don't care if they hire some dude off the street just to stand there while Mangini does everytihng on defense, I just don't want us paying Sutton to be the worst coordinator in the NFL for a third year.

Honestly I fully trust Mangini to do damage with his schemes as the defense over the last two seasons has seemed to pick up and do much better after the bye when Mangini seems to take over. I'm going to be furious if Sutton is still the defensive coordinator for this team when the season starts. I don't care if they hire some dude off the street just to stand there while Mangini does everytihng on defense, I just don't want us paying Sutton to be the worst coordinator in the NFL for a third year.

How much does the job pay? that seems like something I'm qualifies to do? Stand around and act like I'm doing something.

I'm not that TBH becuase if Mangini is so much better than Sutton he should just call the defensive plays himself. There is only so much great schemeing can do, at the end of the day talent is what really matters IMO, and we have very limited talent as of now defensively.

I'm not sure I understand what you are quoting. Not sure what point ESPN fantasy football is making. I agree that Pace would probably take the strong side. That's where Hobson was and he's gone. I like the idea of having to converted DEs on the edge that have already proven they can play OLB.

OTOH, I don't think Pace playing strong side is etched in stone. Pace played the strong side because they had Dansby to rush the passer in AZ. Dansby would be more likely to dictate the alignment than Bryan Thomas. Pace apparently also played some games at ILB which may come in handy if they draft Gholston. Barton isn't going to be around forever.

Just one of many articles that clearly states the position Pace plays. The Jets could try to shift him inside - but I highly doubt they move him to BT's side unless they get another strong side LB. It's not what Pace is.

Just one of many articles that clearly states the position Pace plays. The Jets could try to shift him inside - but I highly doubt they move him to BT's side unless they get another strong side LB. It's not what Pace is.

Ok. I just wondered about the site because they claimed that the Cards had an option. Never heard that one. I wouldn't doubt he'd play strong side, it makes the most sense. OTOH, he was a DE until 2006. He played strong side most of this season, but (since we're quoting FF sites) rotoworld has an article saying he started inside in a 3-4 on Sept. 11. Meaning if we draft somebody like Gholston maybe we can move Pace around to give everybody a breather without guys like Kassell and Chatham seeing the field.

If we sign pace and faneca and maybe assante or another o-lineman and actually trade for a guy like rogers, who do you think we take at #6? Do we look to move Coles and draft a WR? Do we grab run DMC? do we look to trade down? I think if we pick up all of these guys it gives us the opportunity to draft the best guy on the board when we do pick, or even gives us the opportunity to stock up on picks. I like the flexibility this would give us, even if we have to slightly operpay for a few of these guys. I don't think we should screw up our cap for these guys, but we do have some room and should use it.

you take the best available player

And THAT puts extra pressure on your secondary. I think the Giants showed us that a great pass rush is the way to go. They have a crap secondary but gave Cindy no time to exploit it.

Archived