Would you consider Malcolm Kelly at 6?

Matt39

No way Matt, a WR at 6 is as crazy as it gets,If we trade down then Maybe .I know we need one but they can be had in the later rounds, This can only happen if they trade down with a team like dallas and get the 2 picks in the first round and then we might be able to grab one of the top tier Wr in the first or second rounds.

No way Matt, a WR at 6 is as crazy as it gets,If we trade down then Maybe .I know we need one but they can be had in the later rounds, This can only happen if they trade down with a team like dallas and get the 2 picks in the first round and then we might be able to grab one of the top tier Wr in the first or second rounds.

I also dont think the Jets will do it but its not nuts. If the guy is special, ie head and shoulders above the rest, then its not out of the realm of possibility.

New York Jets

The Jets spent money and knocked off some glaring needs right away. The offensive line got two veterans in Alan Faneca and Damien Woody. They also secured a nose tackle for the 3-4 defense and an outside pass rushing OLB. The No. 6 pick in the draft pretty much guarantees they will take care of their next biggest need, wide receiver. There may be enough quality receivers to actually move down and still get the player they want. It would be interesting if one of the premier defensive tackles were still on the board in Ellis or Dorsey, neither of whom they need but New Orleans sure would like to have.

I guess not as crazy as people think...

:confused:

That would be a gigantic huge frickin reach.

This is what I would do.. If a big DT is availiable at 6.. Dorsey? Ellis? I call the bengals up and swap picks.. move down to 9 and get there second round pick... if possibel.. theres no secret they need a DT.. depends how much though

What exactly are our options here.

Yeah, it is a reach. WOuld you rather go corner?

Pretty much where were sitting, every player is going to be a reach- unless its Gholston, Long or Mcfdden.

I really have a feeling that One of those three C Long,Gholsten,Mcfadden will be there at 6... one wil drop out of the top 5

What exactly are our options here.

Yeah, it is a reach. WOuld you rather go corner?

Pretty much where were sitting, every player is going to be a reach- unless its Gholston, Long or Mcfdden.

Not true. If all three of those guys are gone then maybe Jake Long is there at #6, which would be a nice coup for the Jets (I am not a Brick fan). Or the DT, who might garner trade interest. Would be sweet if the Jets could trade down just a little bit and get another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Not true. If all three of those guys are gone then maybe Jake Long is there at #6, which would be a nice coup for the Jets (I am not a Brick fan). Or the DT, who might garner trade interest. Would be sweet if the Jets could trade down just a little bit and get another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

You know hoow I love mcfadden... but if the jets could get an extra second rounf pick and that pick was taken Flacco.. I would be happy...

Get a reciever another top cb cromartie... with the first round pick... then in the second get Hardy and Flacco...

**** no.

I haven't even seen Kelly projected in the 1st round. If we were to reach on a WR that high, I'd rather it be Hardy or Sweed.

However, I would rather reach on a WR than draft another first round corner. Corner is quickly becoming the over-rated position in the entire league. Good pass rush = good cornerback play. You don't need two first round cash cows manning the CB position to have an effective secondary. There is no such thing as a shutdown cornerback.

I'm not sure why everyone is dismissing this. We are already set at our #1 cb spot and mangini seems very confident in miller's ability to be our #2. A lot of bigboards have sweed as a top 15 talent and yes it would definately be a reach but I would rather reach for a 15th ranked WR than a 13th or so ranked CB. WR is a position of definate need whereas we aren't that desperate in the CB position yet.

By the time the draft rolls around i guarantee both sweed and kelly are taken over hardy. People are just enfatuated with hardys size; he's only two inches taller than sweed and kelly, but had 5 inches less on his vert than sweed (i read that hardy didn't jump 37 inches, but was a mistake..something about an error with the machine). All three have the production, but sweed and kelly have better body control in the air, hands and all three are redzone threats. If the jets have sweed/kelly as their 15th overall player and say DRC or McKelvin as their 10th or 12th pick, I wouldn't mind if they chose the receiver.

I'm not sure why everyone is dismissing this. We are already set at our #1 cb spot and mangini seems very confident in miller's ability to be our #2. A lot of bigboards have sweed as a top 15 talentand yes it would definately be a reach but I would rather reach for a 15th ranked WR than a 13th or so ranked CB. WR is a position of definate need whereas we aren't that desperate in the CB position yet.

How do you figure?

How do you figure?

If not Miller then I can see Mangini feeling he's ok at CB with Barrett, maybe Poteat, Coleman, Miller and/or Woolfolk. whereas at WR the Jets are at the moment virtually naked beyond Coles and Cotchery. If this is indeed Mangini's thinking then I wholeheartedly disagree, but its certainly possible.

Plenty of respected mocks (if there is such a thing) have the Bills taking Kelly at #11. I havent see many if any that have Sweed ahead of Kelly, though Sweed is typically second. It seems to me that Kelly is the clear first WR right now, despite not having participated in the combine.

So, if its between, say, McKelvin and Kelly its not impossible for the Jets to feel Kelly is the better value at #6. Me? I hope they can trade down at least a few spots and fill one of these spots or better yet, get Groves.

How do you figure?

I can't find the exact quote, but when miller was lost this past season, Mangini looked absolutely miserable and expressed his feelings of how he felt miller had progressed. It wasn't your typical mangini press conference, he actually showed emotion and was visably upset that miller was lost. Take that for what it's worth i guess.

I would obviously rather trade down than take a CB or WR with our 6th overall, but if phillip merling or no one else does anything to sway our opinion, than a WR isn't out of the picture. I'm not saying it's likely, but that if we are stuck at #6 and C.long, McFadden and gholston are gone, there's a chance that they could take the top ranked WR over the top ranked CB.

If we go WR that early I'd take Sweed. As far as I can tell, a wrist injury that won't affect his NFL career, and not running his 40 in 4.4 seconds flat are the only reasons he's not a lock to be a top-10 pick. Sounds like a T.O. clone who doesn't need a restraining bolt.

I can't find the exact quote, but when miller was lost this past season, Mangini looked absolutely miserable and expressed his feelings of how he felt miller had progressed. It wasn't your typical mangini press conference, he actually showed emotion and was visably upset that miller was lost. Take that for what it's worth i guess.

I would obviously rather trade down than take a CB or WR with our 6th overall, but if phillip merling or no one else does anything to sway our opinion, than a WR isn't out of the picture. I'm not saying it's likely, but that if we are stuck at #6 and C.long, McFadden and gholston are gone, there's a chance that they could take the top ranked WR over the top ranked CB.

I remember hearing about him progressing, but he's still never been a starting corner and is coming off a season ending knee injury. I don't see how anyone could be confident that he is the #2.

I remember hearing about him progressing, but he's still never been a starting corner and is coming off a season ending knee injury. I don't see how anyone could be confident that he is the #2.

That's true, but barring the injury, the same thing can be said for any other CB drafted this year. They are just as unproven as miller and i'm not saying miller is our savior, but i'm far more suspect of our WR core than our CB core as of now.

I gotta agree with sperm; there are very few things keeping sweed from being a top ten lock. He does remind me of TO; better hands not as physically dominant, but good route runner, good blocker, good after the catch, great body control in the air and good leaping ability. Now, I can't speak for sperm or anyone else, but Limas sweed is definately not my top choice for our 6th overall if we are stuck there without Long, Long, McFadden or gholston, but there are worse possible picks.

Here's a good one of malcolm kelly as well:

Edit: kelly and sweed are pretty similar in some of their comparisons, but i think kelly has some of the best body control in this draft. If you look how he can adjust to the ball while he's in the air on some of those erratic throws, it's just amazing.

If we go WR that early I'd take Sweed. As far as I can tell, a wrist injury that won't affect his NFL career, and not running his 40 in 4.4 seconds flat are the only reasons he's not a lock to be a top-10 pick. Sounds like a T.O. clone who doesn't need a restraining bolt.

Malcom Kelly is much, much better than Sweed. Kelly is 6' 4" with speed and very good hands. He makes catches in crowds. I like the Braylon Edwards comparison. When Kelly runs at his pro day, figure him to jump for 10-12 to 6-8th pick.

if the jets can't move down and all the players they targeted are gone at 6 i would just assume pass on the pick vikings style and wait about 10 spots to get sweed or hardy or whatever wr they want.

there is absolutely no reason to give a 20M signing bonus to sweed. even calvin johnson, the once in a decade can't miss prospect didn't do squat last year. if they want sweed they can get him 10 picks later.

if the jets can't move down and all the players they targeted are gone at 6 i would just assume pass on the pick vikings style and wait about 10 spots to get sweed or hardy or whatever wr they want.

there is absolutely no reason to give a 20M signing bonus to sweed. even calvin johnson, the once in a decade can't miss prospect didn't do squat last year. if they want sweed they can get him 10 picks later.

The once in a decade player had a lot going against him last year; he was injured for a few games and mike martiz is a hardheaded as$ who refuses to get rookie recievers involved in his offense. All the lions fans i know constantly complain about how he didn't utilize johnson enough. With martz gone I would look for johnson to crack 1000 yards and 5+ tds; there's no denying he has the talent, he just needs to be more involved in the offense.

Hey, I agree. Most of the top-10 picks don't live up to expectations of such a high pick for so much cash. And many who eventually do, they certainly don't from the moment we pay them gobs of money up-front. Free agents are different. They perform right away & don't need to learn or adjust the same. You've seen pro WR's try to get open against pro talent, how they hold up to injuries, how they act with money or now that they've "made it" to the NFL (rather than a vet FA who's "made it" in the NFL).

Hey, I agree. Most of the top-10 picks don't live up to expectations of such a high pick for so much cash. And many who eventually do, they certainly don't from the moment we pay them gobs of money up-front. Free agents are different. They perform right away & don't need to learn or adjust the same. You've seen pro WR's try to get open against pro talent, how they hold up to injuries, how they act with money or now that they've "made it" to the NFL (rather than a vet FA who's "made it" in the NFL).

Calvin Johnson was on a bad lions team.. no o-line... Kitna had no time to throw the ball whatsoever... you cant judge him yet..

Calvin Johnson was on a bad lions team.. no o-line... Kitna had no time to throw the ball whatsoever... you cant judge him yet..

I wasn't referring solely to Calvin Johnson. You think he's the only one who was a high WR pick that hasn't met draft expectations yet? Kitna's lack of time doesn't have anything to do with the touchdown passes thrown right on the money that CJ simply dropped.

Archived