John Clayton | Top 10 Free Agent Gambles

rick34125

That's right 3 of the Jets 4 big FA moves made Clayton's top 10 list. What else is new...

Top 10 free-agent gambles: Jets take plenty of fliers

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Free agency is always a gamble, but the class of 2008 might make bookmakers in Las Vegas nervous.

Of the first 78 players to move to different teams, 48 played less than 50 percent of the downs last season for their previous squads. Over the past three decades, the NFL has developed into a league of role players and situational substitutions. So those figures aren't unusual.

Still, it's a gamble to spend millions of dollars for players who aren't on the field half the time. Some teams are taking a chance that backups can convert to starters. Others are gambling that players can switch positions and live up to their massive contracts.

The stakes are high, but teams have to take gambles to improve. Here are 10 of the biggest and most interesting gambles less than two weeks into the hottest free-agency period in NFL history.

1. Transforming DEs into LBs: With roughly a third of the league using some form of the 3-4 defense, three teams gambled on defensive ends they hope to convert into pass-rushing linebackers.

The New York Jets put their money on Calvin Pace, who was drafted as a 4-3 defensive end but took on some linebacker duties in Arizona because of injuries to Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor. Pace received a staggering six-year, $42 million deal even though he's never had more than 6

Just because they were gambles doesn't mean they were bad moves, which he alluded to when he brought up Michael Turner, using Jordan & Taylor as an example of one gamble that paid off & one that didn't.

The Rams leaving a nobody Arena Football player as the backup to Trent Green was also a gamble.

Just because they were gambles doesn't mean they were bad moves, which he alluded to when he brought up Michael Turner, using Jordan & Taylor as an example of one gamble that paid off & one that didn't.

The Rams leaving a nobody Arena Football player as the backup to Trent Green was also a gamble.

Trent Green is the backup.:confused0088:

He was a terrible pickup regardless IMO.

I don't like Clayton at all but what the Hell did he say there about us that isn't the truth???

We took risks, accept it.

Well said.

He also talked about other teams taking risks and praised the Faneca signing.

BTW: I hate Clayton with a passion.

Trent Green is the backup.:confused0088:

He was a terrible pickup regardless IMO.

How is Trent Green a terrible pickup for the Rams? You'll be hard pressed to find a better backup QB in the entire league. And, BTW, the last time he played in Al Saunders' offense, he threw for 4,000 yards.

until the Jets get the qb situation figured out they are built to stand still

Unfortunately for you I agree.

It cracks me up that the Chad lovers (in other threads) bring up names like Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, & Chris Chandler to try and make their point that Chad can take the Jets to the Super Bowl.

I don't think they realize that they are comparing Chad to average QB's to make their point.

It cracks me up that the Chad lovers (in other threads) bring up names like Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, & Chris Chandler to try and make their point that Chad can take the Jets to the Super Bowl.

I don't think they realize that they are comparing Chad to average QB's to make their point.

They also don't realize that all of those turd QBs won Super Bowls the better part of a decade ago.

And in the case of Brad Johnson, he was better than Chad ever was*.

*Except 2002. It doesn't count. Lady armed QB catches teams by surprise in Herm Edwards' rotting vagina of an offense; for further reference, see Damon Huard: 2006.

How is Trent Green a terrible pickup for the Rams? You'll be hard pressed to find a better backup QB in the entire league. And, BTW, the last time he played in Al Saunders' offense, he threw for 4,000 yards.

The guy is one head shot away from eating every meal for the rest of his life through a straw.

Playing behind that absolutely awful o-line, and an injury prone QB spells disaster for Green IMO.

He played in Al Saunders offence 2 concussions ago.

1st, (since I know you were alluding to a pt I made), I am not a Chad lover. In fact, I believe I've said that I HOPE that KC can beat Chad out this TC for a starting job. When I said that, the point I was trying to make was that a team does not need a great QB to be a top compettitor. Granted, it certainly helps to have a great QB, but if you can get everything else in places, as long as you have a guy back there thats serviceable, the team should be fine.

They also don't realize that all of those turd QBs won Super Bowls the better part of a decade ago.

And in the case of Brad Johnson, he was better than Chad ever was*.

*Except 2002. It doesn't count. Lady armed QB catches teams by surprise in Herm Edwards' rotting vagina of an offense; for further reference, see Damon Huard: 2006.

You're saying Chad didn't play well in 02????

Pre injury was a very good QB, post surgerys he has been average. Simple as that.

The guy is one head shot away from eating every meal for the rest of his life through a straw.

Playing behind that absolutely awful o-line, and an injury prone QB spells disaster for Green IMO.

He played in Al Saunders offence 2 concussions ago.

He is the backup QB. It's not like they are counting on the guy to go 16 games.

Would it have been a better move to sign David Carr or Joey Harrington? Or maybe keep the great wall-hating Gus Frerrote?

You're saying Chad didn't play well in 02????

Pre injury was a very good QB, post surgerys he has been average. Simple as that.

No, I am saying 2002 was a fluke. He was exposed in the Oakland playoff game and hasn't been the same since. He sucked in '03 and he didn't tear up his shoulder until the next year.

He is the backup QB. It's not like they are counting on the guy to go 16 games.

Would it have been a better move to sign David Carr or Joey Harrington? Or maybe keep the great wall-hating Gus Frerrote?

I would take Harrington or even Frerrote over Green at this point simply because you are putting the guys long term health in serious jeoprady. I understand that he's the backup but the starter Bulger is incredibly injury prone, and that line is as bad as any. He could see a lot more playing time than you think and could also see one hit too many.

I fear for the guy to tell you the truth.

No, I am saying 2002 was a fluke. He was exposed in the Oakland playoff game and hasn't been the same since. He sucked in '03 and he didn't tear up his shoulder until the next year.

Didn't he break his wrist in 03???

I thought he had returned to his 02 form at the beginning of the 04 season but once again his injury problems struck.

Since then his arm has never been the same. Before the shoulder injury I never really viewed his arm strength as a serious weakness and if you ever see highlights from his college days you'll see that he could make pretty much every throw. The injuries have definetly taken their toll on him and God knows what happens if he doesn't get hurt.

I would take Harrington or even Frerrote over Green at this point simply because you are putting the guys long term health in serious jeoprady. I understand that he's the backup but the starter Bulger is incredibly injury prone, and that line is as bad as any. He could see a lot more playing time than you think and could also see one hit too many.

I fear for the guy to tell you the truth.

Their line will be drastically improved if Orlando Pace can stay healthy.

They were just snakebitten by injuries last season. They are going to surprise a lot of people this season. No way are they the second worst team in football.

Trent Green wants to still play, and St. Louis is a perfect fit for him. He knows the offense and he's arguably got more skill position talent around him than he ever had in KC. Yes, he is an injury risk, but if he is willing to play, it's a risk worth taking for the Rams.

And in the case of Brad Johnson, he was better than Chad ever was

Yes he was.

For all the crap that Brad Johnson gets he did throw for over 3,000 yards and had 22 TD's and 6 INT's in the Bucs Super Bowl run.

Their line will be drastically improved if Orlando Pace can stay healthy.

They were just snakebitten by injuries last season. They are going to surprise a lot of people this season. No way are they the second worst team in football.

Trent Green wants to still play, and St. Louis is a perfect fit for him. He knows the offense and he's arguably got more skill position talent around him than he ever had in KC. Yes, he is an injury risk, but if he is willing to play, it's a risk worth taking for the Rams.

Pace is another guy who's been pretty broken down by injuries. Even Rams fans were talking about finding a replacement for him because he's very unreliable. It could work out if they can avoid other inury problems and I agree that if given good protection he could play very well (Great offensive weapons) but I still am a little worried about the whole setup. You saw what happened their QB's last year, they fell like Dominos.

Didn't he break his wrist in 03???

I thought he had returned to his 02 form at the beginning of the 04 season but once again his injury problems struck.

Since then his arm has never been the same. Before the shoulder injury I never really viewed his arm strength as a serious weakness and if you ever see highlights from his college days you'll see that he could make pretty much every throw. The injuries have definetly taken their toll on him and God knows what happens if he doesn't get hurt.

In 2003, he injured his left wrist, IIRC. No effect whatsoever on his right shoulder.

In 2004, pre-injury, he was able to take advantage of one the easiest opening schedules in NFL history to get off to a hot start. Then, we played New England and he led us to seven whole points. Same old Chad.

The guy sucks. He has always sucked. 2002 was a mirage. In the '02 Oakland playoff game, he threw for 183 yards on FORTY-SEVEN attempts! Chad in a nutshell.

In 2003, he injured his left wrist, IIRC. No effect whatsoever on his right shoulder.

In 2004, pre-injury, he was able to take advantage of one the easiest opening schedules in NFL history to get off to a hot start. Then, we played New England and he led us to seven whole points. Same old Chad.

The guy sucks. He has always sucked. 2002 was a mirage. In the '02 Oakland playoff game, he threw for 183 yards on FORTY-SEVEN attempts! Chad in a nutshell.

I dunno, a lot of QB's struggled vs that NE D in 04 and he did have some pretty good games regardless (Had 2 great games vs San Diego in 04). IMO you underated Chad, yes he's had some terrible games but if you focused in on other QB's you could notice that practically all will struggle more vs the top teams and that they all have flaws, Pennington is far from the worst.

Archived