Jets | Team could look to trade down in draft

MagicBizkit87

Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:00:10 -0700

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets could look to trade down in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Jets currently hold the No. 6 overall pick in the draft. The team could look to trade down to between No. 7 and No. 15 overall. They have discussed a trade with at least one team in that range.

Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:00:10 -0700

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets could look to trade down in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Jets currently hold the No. 6 overall pick in the draft. The team could look to trade down to between No. 7 and No. 15 overall. They have discussed a trade with at least one team in that range.

Don't you mean between No. 8 and No. 15? There's no way we make a trade with the Patsies.

Gonna be a fun draft for Jets fans. Or a miserable draft. Anyway, it will be interesting.

I believe in this FO so I expect the draft to go well for the Jets.

There's no possible way for this to be a miserable draft. DMC, the Longs, Gholston, Ryan, Talib, Henne, Flacco, Brennan, Ellis. There's too much talent in every round this year.

last year was the year to trade down. We are slowly filling the holes. Stick with 6 and pick up McFadden.

I don't agree. Last year was a weak draft. You trade up in weak drafts to avoid a stockpile of garbage. You trade down (if possible) in deeper ones like this one or like 2006 because the talent level doesn't drop off so steeply. You can end up with multiple starters/standouts instead of one or two (who might not be any better than the 3 or 4 you could otherwise end up with).

But trading down is easier said than done in a deep draft. More teams want to trade down themselves than trade up.

I don't agree. Last year was a weak draft. You trade up in weak drafts. You trade down (if possible) in deeper ones like this one or like 2006.

I agree. There is so much raw talent in the later rounds. There's guys like Aquib Talib, Chad Henne, Joe Flacco, Brian Brohm, Mario Manningham, Steve Slaton, Mike Hart, Limas Sweed, DeSean Jackson, Dennis Dixon, and Jonathan Stewart and Andre Woodson who will all probally be taken out of the top 10. Also, you have unheard of guys like Jamie Silva, and Dejuan Tribble out of Boston College who are very talented, but will be available in the later rounds also. Lastly, you also have Colt Brennan. I don't even think I've seen his name on any mock drafts after he had that four interception performance. My point is, we can trade down and still have many options to upgrade every one of our needs. We should do that Cowboy's trade and get the two first rounders, then trade D-Rob for a few picks. That could guarentee us Super Bowl contenders next year if we drafted the right people.

I agree. There is so much raw talent in the later rounds. There's guys like Aquib Talib, Chad Henne, Joe Flacco, Brian Brohm, Mario Manningham, Steve Slaton, Mike Hart, Limas Sweed, DeSean Jackson, Dennis Dixon, and Jonathan Stewart and Andre Woodson who will all probally be taken out of the top 10. Also, you have unheard of guys like Jamie Silva, and Dejuan Tribble out of Boston College who are very talented, but will be available in the later rounds also. Lastly, you also have Colt Brennan. I don't even think I've seen his name on any mock drafts after he had that four interception performance. My point is, we can trade down and still have many options to upgrade every one of our needs. We should do that Cowboy's trade and get the two first rounders, then trade D-Rob for a few picks. That could guarentee us Super Bowl contenders next year if we drafted the right people.

Except that there is no Cowboys trade. It's all internet rumors. The only thing anyone on the Jets or Cowboys have said about it is from Jerry Jones who said he didn't want to trade up because of the enormous compensation due to both the higher-drafted player and also to the team you're trading with. And he's 100% correct on both fronts.

Colt Brennan is not an NFL calibre starting QB. And I believe he had some serious health issue since the Bowl game fiasco, in which he was exposed.

It is reasonable to expect the Jets to take a third round pick to drop a few slots in the draft. I agree with SE that its just too prohibitive for the Cowboys to trade up from #22 and #28 to #6, as much as we all wish it to happen.

Also, it doesnt seem that the Jets are gonna get much in exchange for Robertson. Maybe a fourth or fifth round pick.

Archived