NE or NYJ will sign Ty Law

PatriotReign37

Pats Close to Deal With Ty Law

Apr 22, 2008 | 9:36 PM

Category: Sports

FOX25 has learned that the Patriots are close to a deal with Ty Law that would bring the 38 year old cornerback back to Foxboro.

According to a source close to the situation, Law is ready to sign in order to play football this upcoming season with either the Patriots or the New York Jets and both teams are talking with him right now. Also according to the source, Law would prefer to sign with the Patriots and they are working hard towards making that happen as soon as possible.

Law is a five time Pro Bowl cornerback who played the first ten years of his career with the Patriots after being drafted by them out of the University of Michigan with the 23rd overall pick in the 1995 NFL draft. After earning three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots, Law was released by New England in February 2005 and later signed on with the New York Jets. Ty played just one season in New York before he signed with the Kansas City Chiefs. After two seasons with in Kansas City he was released by the Chiefs earlier this year.

Law is currently tied with Raymond Clayborn on the Patriots all-time list for interceptions with 36.

When reached for comment on this story on Tuesday night the Patriots said they have no comment.

Would be a shame to lose out on him with New England but you can't fault him for it. Its where he was drafted, played most of his career and its a team that has a much better chance of a Super Bowl run in 2008.

Would be a shame to lose out on him with New England but you can't fault him for it. Its where he was drafted, played most of his career and its a team that has a much better chance of a Super Bowl run in 2008.

I dont see losing him as "losing out" we do not need him, we only need 1 Ty as in Tyvon Branch. Law is way past his prime.

Damn, didn't know he was 38, they can have him, I think Poteat is still out there I rather have him back IMO.

Anything that Butch Sterns (Sporst anchor - FoxSports25 Boston) says should be taken with a grain of salt. For example, Ty Law is 34, NOT 38.

If he signs with the Pats, it's a good move, imo. He's no worse than anyone else they have back there and he understands the defensive concepts.

At Ty Law's current age, I think we would be better off having Hank Poteat. I actually think at this point in both of their careers, Poteat is the better corner. I don't even know why we didn't re-sign Poteat in the first place, and yet we still have Barrett on our roster.

Poteat player great last year.

I really do fear for the future of this country.....

From NFL.com:

Ty Law | #24 | CB

Kansas City Chiefs | Official Team Site

Height: 5-11 Weight: 200 Age: 34

Born: 2/10/1974 Aliquippa , PA

College: Michigan

Experience: 14th season

High School: Aliquippa HS [PA]

Agreed. He could probably play safety for maybe 1 year but not corner. He doesn't have Darrell Green's ageless speed.

Hey Sperm,

I am absolutely in love with the idea of putting Kerry Rhodes at FS to roam, and letting Ty Law play SS. OR also, leave Rhodes at SS and put Law at FS with Elam. The though had never occurred to me, and I absolutely want to see that, I'm not being sarcastic, although some people might have read the beginning of this and thought that, I really think that Ty Law could be a big asset to the New York Jets, teaching Revis further, and Competing with Justin Miller for a possible CB - spot. However, due to the fact that we spent so much money in the offseason on completely necessary moves and moves that im beyond happy about, I don't think that unless we have secretly agreed to send D-Robertson to Denver or elsewhere, or traded Chad Pennington, or traded Chris Baker and cleared up their respective or individual salaries (say in a one player - for draft pick trade) that the Jets will be able to have the money to lure Ty Law in for one last push against his former team and with his own flesh and blood DARRELLE REVIS

Poteat player great last year.

Did you actually let yourself type that on your screen and click "post", because how could you say that anyone besides David Harris played "GREAT" last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poteat got lit up last year, are we so used to having mediocrity that we settle for Hank Poteat to play in at CB FOR ANOTHER YEAR!?!??!....I am not neccessarily in favor of drafting an CB in the 2-3 Round range, but I'd also rather let Justin Miller SHOW me that he's not capable of guarding people again, because I watch the Jets a lot and really thought that Justin Miller had performed well and even under Mangini, I really don't think I'm mistaken, but apparently a lot of people disagree with me from this site lol, oh well, to each his own. Don't spend another single dollar on Hank Poteat when you have J.Mill at im willing to bet a lower than inflated salary.

LET JUSTIN MILLER SHOW YOU WHAT YOU FORGOT FOLKS!!!!!

Pats Close to Deal With Ty Law

Apr 22, 2008 | 9:36 PM

Category: Sports

FOX25 has learned that the Patriots are close to a deal with Ty Law that would bring the 38 year old cornerback back to Foxboro.

According to a source close to the situation, Law is ready to sign in order to play football this upcoming season with either the Patriots or the New York Jets and both teams are talking with him right now. Also according to the source, Law would prefer to sign with the Patriots and they are working hard towards making that happen as soon as possible.

Law is a five time Pro Bowl cornerback who played the first ten years of his career with the Patriots after being drafted by them out of the University of Michigan with the 23rd overall pick in the 1995 NFL draft. After earning three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots, Law was released by New England in February 2005 and later signed on with the New York Jets. Ty played just one season in New York before he signed with the Kansas City Chiefs. After two seasons with in Kansas City he was released by the Chiefs earlier this year.

Law is currently tied with Raymond Clayborn on the Patriots all-time list for interceptions with 36.

When reached for comment on this story on Tuesday night the Patriots said they have no comment.

I don't want Ty Law.

Hey Sperm,

I am absolutely in love with the idea of putting Kerry Rhodes at FS to roam, and letting Ty Law play SS. OR also, leave Rhodes at SS and put Law at FS with Elam. The though had never occurred to me, and I absolutely want to see that, I'm not being sarcastic, although some people might have read the beginning of this and thought that, I really think that Ty Law could be a big asset to the New York Jets, teaching Revis further, and Competing with Justin Miller for a possible CB - spot. However, due to the fact that we spent so much money in the offseason on completely necessary moves and moves that im beyond happy about, I don't think that unless we have secretly agreed to send D-Robertson to Denver or elsewhere, or traded Chad Pennington, or traded Chris Baker and cleared up their respective or individual salaries (say in a one player - for draft pick trade) that the Jets will be able to have the money to lure Ty Law in for one last push against his former team and with his own flesh and blood DARRELLE REVIS

We have enough room with DRob gone. I would think Law would play FS not SS. But I don't think he's worth much at age 38 anyway. If he was a thumper SS then maybe at that age.

Please Lord, let the Pats win this one.

Slow mediocre Victor Hobson, 34 year old Ty Law ... I like what the Pats are doing to rebuild their defense. Of course, I am a Jets fan. :)

Not a bad point at all. I pray to the Football Gods that, that indeed does play out to be a huge mistake. My only qualm, is that I can really see myself next year and other Jets fans out there being completely happy with everyone except Abwam Elam (Even though I too, in the beginning thought that he would suffice, especially compared to the other talent we HAD on the field, but now with all these moves, I think I see immediately who opposing teams will pick on, and its our FS position, AND THAT IS NOT COMFORTING!!! [ I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG ABOUT THIS ONE, YOU HAVE NO IDEA ...plus I usually am wrong, but i have reservations about him yet.]

Archived