AL ROY now has a 13 Game hitting streak

Green Jets & Ham

GS, did you see this in the Sunday NY Post?

Look at who Torre says Cano reminds him of, and the Red Sox skipper agrees :shock:

How good has Cano looked at the plate?

Red Sox manager Terry Francona and Joe Torre see a little bit of Hall of Famer Rod Carew in Cano.

"Not many left-handed hitters get on the high ball," Torre said. "That separated Rod Carew from a lot of left-handed hitters and [Cano] does that very well. Normally, left-handed hitters can't catch up to [high fastballs], but he stays back and waits."

Cano, who hits behind Derek Jeter and in front of Gary Sheffield, isn't being asked to hit home runs. He had seven prior to last night's game, but Torre says the day will come when Cano's game will include power.

"He could be a 20-to-30 [homer] guy down the road," Torre said.

Man that is HIGH PRAISE when your name is even mentioned in the same breath as Rod Carew

GS, did you see this in the Sunday NY Post?

Look at who Torre says Cano reminds him of, and the Red Sox skipper agrees :shock:

Man that is HIGH PRAISE when your name is even mentioned in the same breath as Rod Carew

Rod Carew was one of those great hitters you just never hear about. Probably because he was generally a slap-hitter and never played on any great teams. Weird that he'd be chosen as the player Cano reminds TWO managers of.

Rod Carew was one of those great hitters you just never hear about. Probably because he was generally a slap-hitter and never played on any great teams. Weird that he'd be chosen as the player Cano reminds TWO managers of.

JF, You don't hear much about Carew nowdays, but during his playing days {prime years} Carew was viewed in the same way Tony Gwynn was viewed ... media and fans widely recognized Rod Carew as the best pure hitter in the game, and the toughest out

I use the Gwynn analogy because I know you are too young to remember Carew's playing days ... so I used someone you have seen just to give you an idea of how Carew was looked upon back in the day

JF, You don't hear much about Carew nowdays, but during his playing days {prime years} Carew was viewed in the same way Tony Gwynn was viewed ... media and fans widely recognized Rod Carew as the best pure hitter in the game, and the toughest out

I use the Gwynn analogy because I know you are too young to remember Carew's playing days ... so I used someone you have seen just to give you an idea of how Carew was looked upon back in the day

Carew and Tony Oliva two of the greatest hitters hardly talked about. Both Twins.

Carew went to George Washinton HS which was right up the street from me as a kid though b4 my time.....Manny also went there.

Carew and Tony Oliva two of the greatest hitters hardly talked about. Both Twins.

Carew went to George Washinton HS which was right up the street from me as a kid though b4 my time.....Manny also went there.

You know I had forgotten that, GS

Completely skipped my mind that Carew was from NY

Cano really caught my attention and respect with that great series he had in fenway a week ago.

The guy can just flatout hit the ball.

IMO, he'll be a 25-35 homerun guy for his career on average per season. I think right now he has more power than Jeter on a consistent basis. Jeter gets like 21 homeruns a season, I think Cano can top that down the road going 25, 30 or 35. He's got a great bat.

His glove was shaky earlier in the season but he has really come along strong since then. He has GREAT range and a GREAT arm.

Definetly a way better player than Soriano was in his rookie season. Maybe even a better player as we speak right now.

Soriano is also a frickin hack at the plate.

Against good pitching he is really nonexistant.

Remember that postseason when he had like 26 strikeouts? He's also a bit of a showoff/lollygagger.

EB makes a great point here, and it's one that often goes ignored nowdays ... mostly because it requires some thought and some insight based on actual observation, while allowing stats to be the final arbitor is so much easier

We actually talked about this last week with Sheff ... the ability to hit good pitching, and that's what often goes ignored

Soriano is a hitter who kills bad to mediocre pitching ... absolutely obliterates it ... but if a good pitcher makes his pitches verses Sori, he often looks badly over-matched {i.e. the 2003 post season}

In that respect Cano is a better hitter than Soriano .. the stats will never tell you that, Sori will always have better stats because he will always feast on bad/mediocre pitching, but Cano is far more likely to hit good pitching and tough pitches .. also has a better eye for the strikezone and far more patience at the plate

JMO

PS. That makes a hitter like Cano more valuable in post season play, where you see much better pitching

EB makes a great point here, and it's one that often goes ignored nowdays ... mostly because it requires some thought and some insight based on actual observation, while allowing stats to be the final arbitor is so much easier

We actually talked about this last week with Sheff ... the ability to hit good pitching, and that's what often goes ignored

Soriano is a hitter who kills bad to mediocre pitching ... absolutely obliterates it ... but if a good pitcher makes his pitches verses Sori, he often looks badly over-matched {i.e. the 2003 post season}

In that respect Cano is a better hitter than Soriano .. the stats will never tell you that, Sori will always have better stats because he will always feast on bad/mediocre pitching, but Cano is far more likely to hit good pitching and tough pitches .. also has a better eye for the strikezone and far more patience at the plate

JMO

PS. That makes a hitter like Cano more valuable in post season play, where you see much better pitching

LOL. Michael Kay aint got nothing on you Ham.

Sori had one slump that occured in the post season.

His splits against the better pitching teams more than hold up.

BTW, as a kid I think I imitated Rod Carew more than any other player ... had his batting stance down packed

And that was pretty much true of all my friends ... Carew was BY FAR the most imitated player on my block

holy smoke me too GJ and...that stance when switch hitting was an education when we were learning to hit.Being able to see your hands and Carew made it cool to choke up on the bat.I used to like Ken "The Hawk"Harrelson's stance too

Sori never really got to play until his 3rd year in which he hit 18 HR's and drove in 73 while swiping 43 bases and batting in the 9th spot. Cano cannot touch that.

We will ignore the Cano is possibly better than Sori right now comment. :lol:

Oh I don't know about that. Soriano probably has more power at this point, though he benefits a lot from playing in Texas, and he certainly has more speed. However his fielding is still pretty bad and he STILL swings at those outside breaking balls in the dirt. He struck out twice against Aaron Small on outside breaking balls. It's ridiculous that he can't stop doing that. And oh yeah, his line is .328-18-48 at home and .230-6-18 away.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/chat/041108jm.html

Q: Gambling guy from Vegas asks:

Overunder on the next year that the Yanks have a Rookie of the Year?

A: John Manuel: Good question . . . let's say 2020, and I'll take over.

=D>=D>=D>

:lol::lol::lol:

More like 2005 dumbass!

Yeah it's too bad our farm system really blows. :roll: Eh, Robinson Cano, Chien Ming-Wang, they're not that good.

Archived