CHAD PENNINGTON WILL BE THE STARTER IN SEPTEMBER 2008

BaumerJet

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have said all along that I think Chad will be the starter opening day. The whole off-season has been based around his ‘game management’ type of style. If the running game pans out like it should then Chad won’t have to do too much, he won’t win us the SB but could helps us to a 2004 type season. We have a very talented team right now and with the amount of money that the front office has invested in these off-season acquisitions I have a hard time believing that they will put their faith in the hands of the unproven Clemens. The only way I think that’s possible is if Clemens totally shows Chad up in camp and to be honest I really don’t see that happening.

I don't get the concept that these moves are designed with Penington in mind. Is that to say that he's the only QB who'd be helped by a better running game, more time in the pocket, or a stronger defense? I mean, isn't that exactly the type of foundation you'd look to put around a young QB as he learns the ropes?

And first round pick #2 has Kellen Clemens written all over it, IMHO. Keller is a player who's going to catch passes downfield and attract safety attention, getting the WR's in single coverage downfield, too.

Downfield is too far away for Chad to throw the ball.

The Jets have turned the page on Chad, they're just being pragmatic in holding onto him a little while longer while Kellen gets it together. Schottenheimer might look like actually he has an imagination once a QB with a strong arm has a couple seconds to throw the ball.

I don't get the concept that these moves are designed with Penington in mind. Is that to say that he's the only QB who'd be helped by a better running game, more time in the pocket, or a stronger defense? I mean, isn't that exactly the type of foundation you'd look to put around a young QB as he learns the ropes?

And first round pick #2 has Kellen Clemens written all over it, IMHO. Keller is a player who's going to catch passes downfield and attract safety attention, getting the WR's in single coverage downfield, too.

Downfield is too far away for Chad to throw the ball.

The Jets have turned the page on Chad, they're just being pragmatic in holding onto him a little while longer while Kellen gets it together. Schottenheimer might look like actually he has an imagination once a QB with a strong arm has a couple seconds to throw the ball.

Like I said, the offense with the possesion WR's (no downfield threats were really brought in) seem designed to suit a QB who will manage the game. That's just my opinion.

LOL, right.

Great argument.

Yeah, he made more mistakes by throwing more INT's, but thats what happens when you actually throw the ball down the field. Plummer actually had the ability, and actually accomplished this a few times, to carry a team to a victory and or lead a team back down more a touchdown with 5 minutes or so remaining. Pennington couldn't get you 60 yards in 5 minutes. ;)

I'd take Plummer over Chad's one glorious season anyday.

Then why draft the way we did...

They drafted to fill holes for a QB - Not Kellen Clements.

This again proves that the organization considers Clements a BUST & therefore have no choice but to stack their team into developing an offense to compliment their QB - Chad Pennington.

I see you know so much about jets football that you dont even know how to spell Clemens.

Jay Cutler was a much better prospect than Clemens and Jake Plummer was a lot worse than Chad.

look we all know you were watching football and probaly not even aware that the game WE here in the States call football isn't soccer during the 2006 season. There were a lot of pre and post draft experts who thought that Clemens would have gone higher in the draft THAN Cutler had he not gotten injured his senior year.

you care to make a wager on that prediction Baumer? I'll go you one further; Chad Pennington won't even BE a Jet in September

Florida, If Pennington is not the starter on opening day, I will personally hand you your own Heineken Draught Keg at either the Cardinals game or the Bengals game - the only 2 home games I will be at this season....

If he is the starter, I can only expect the same....

I agree on the Pennington prediction as far as Ainge ever being the NYJETS starting QB......

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE....This guy was a backup in college and you think hes gonna be a starting NFL QB.

What QB was ever a backup in college and came to the NFL after the 5th round to have any success?Come on! Get real.

Oh, wait, there was one guy.........lol

BTW, In full disclosure, I've never seen Eric Ainge play a down of football, I'm just saying...You NEVER know with the draft!!!

It wasn't long ago we were saying that Cotchery would be lucky to make the team. He was a guy who was too slow, but he "ran tight routes"

Yeah, they didn't tell us he could levitate.

SoFla, Pennington is going to be on the roster as at worst the insurane policy. I want to see Kellen starting from Week 1 on as much as you do, but I don't think the Coaching Staff feels the same. Pennington can take a team to 9 or 10 wins and with Clemens you don't know if its going to be a 6-10 or 12-4 season. He's unknown. I think with the team coming off a losing season in '07 they're going to be hesitant to take a chance on the kid, they'll probably go with the known in Pennington, unfortunately.

SoFla, Pennington is going to be on the roster as at worst the insurane policy. I want to see Kellen starting from Week 1 on as much as you do, but I don't think the Coaching Staff feels the same. Pennington can take a team to 9 or 10 wins and with Clemens you don't know if its going to be a 6-10 or 12-4 season. He's unknown. I think with the team coming off a losing season in '07 they're going to be hesitant to take a chance on the kid, they'll probably go with the known in Pennington, unfortunately.

Yeah, that sums up my feeling n this too to be honest.

Beacause of all the veterans brough in too (Jankins, Faneca, Woody) you can see that they're building for right now, not the future. That's why I don't think they go with the unknown guy.

Sounds about right... Lets hope they can get a pass rush going and the Oline shapes up nicely... and Chad can win some games...

If the Oline and pass rush isnt working as planned halfway through the year though... time to bench Chad for good... he needs a good team NOW to win... he cant be part of a rebuild...

Sounds about right... Lets hope they can get a pass rush going and the Oline shapes up nicely... and Chad can win some games...

If the Oline and pass rush isnt working as planned halfway through the year though... time to bench Chad for good... he needs a good team NOW to win... he cant be part of a rebuild...

He can't be part of any offense that is at all serious about scoring points.

This is what we can expect more of with Pennington's 2-minute drill:

(from the Cincy game, Jets down by 8 with under 2 minutes left)

1-10-NYJ 12 (1:44) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass short middle to 89-J.Cotchery to NYJ 18 for 6 yards (28-D.Jackson).

2-4-NYJ 18 (1:26) 10-C.Pennington pass short left to 29-L.Washington ran ob at NYJ 24 for 6 yards.

1-10-NYJ 24 (1:19) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass short left to 87-L.Coles ran ob at NYJ 35 for 11 yards.

1-10-NYJ 35 (1:14) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass short left to 87-L.Coles ran ob at NYJ 40 for 5 yards (22-J.Joseph).

2-5-NYJ 40 (1:07) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington sacked at NYJ 34 for -6 yards (97-J.Thornton). 3-11-NYJ 34 (:46) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass short left intended for 87-L.Coles INTERCEPTED by 22-J.Joseph at NYJ 42. 22-J.Joseph for 42 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Same exact pass play 3x in a row that eventually gets picked off after Joseph just sits on the route & jumps all over it. Oh - and for good measure, this is the last pass attempt from the previous drive:

1-10-NYJ 11 (6:02) 10-C.Pennington pass short right to 87-L.Coles to NYJ 16 for 5 yards (24-D.O'Neal).

With the game on the line, a real dynamic offense we run under Pennington. And this was against the Bengals - the BENGALS - whose pass defense was 29th in TD's surrendered & 29th in pass ypa. And we're throwing 4-yard outs to our primary WR with the clock ticking down. These types of passes are the epitome of the "I'm afraid to make a mistake" play that has summed up most of Pennington's career.

Chad the seasoned veteran:

1. vs NE: 16 completions for 167 yards (10.4 yards per completion)
  2. vs MIA: 15 completions for 124 yards (8.3 ypc)
  3. vs BUF: 32 completions for 290 yards (9.1 ypc)
  4. vs NYG: 21 completions for 229 yards (10.9 ypc)
  5. vs PHI: 11 completions for 128 yards (11.6 ypc, with Lito Sheppard missing the entire game)
  6. vs CIN: 20 completions for 272 yards (13.6 ypc)
  7. vs BUF: 13 completions for 103 yards (7.9 ypc)
  8. vs NE#2: 25 completions for 186 yards (7.4 ypc)
  9. vs TEN: 26 completions for 264 yards (10.1 ypc)

A veteran like Pennington, behind a 130-yard rusher, should have torched Philly without Sheppard in there. I don't think anyone saw that game as a "good" outing for Chad.

ONE out of 9 games, against the Bengals' pitiful pass defense, with all but two linebackers either injured or suspended. One of those two was the great Anthony Schlegel, who Cincy didn't think was even worthy of seeing again in training camp.

Why anyone would want to see this dumpoffmeister for another season is beyond me.

Pennington's 10:9 ratio was helped by the Bengals pretty-much letting the Jets score when they were up 38-23 with 3 seconds left. In actual game situations (like the pick-6 Chad threw on the previous Jets drive when it was still a ballgame), Pennington was otherwise 9:9. He did have a rushing TD, which I give him credit for even though it doesn't count in passer-rating stats - it IS still a touchdown - brings him back up to 10:9.

As for Clemens' awful TD-INT ratio of 5:10 (and awful it was)...

- One TD was famously turned into an INT by Justin McCareins that would have made it 6:9

- One INT was a Hail Mary pass at the end of the Buffalo game. 6:8

- One INT was an almost unfair situation, getting thrown in there cold down by 10 points with 3 minutes left. 6:7

- Clemens had one rushing TD. 7:7

In his own starts, Clemens' ratio should have been 7:7. Still nothing to get excited over, but pretty close to Pennington. And it can't be understated how much worse his WR talent was, not to mention a team that knew its season was already over, and that's when he truly "got his shot."

Or are we to assume that if the roles were reversed, that Pennington would have come off the bench, with 3 minutes left & a 10-point deficit in the Buffalo game, that Chad would have been zipping the ball down the field with great efficiency? He had 100 passing yards in 55 minutes himself, after taking all the snaps in practice all week, in that very game.

Further, with far better WR talent in his games, Pennington averaged 2 yards per completion less than Clemens (9.9ypc vs 11.8ypc).

Even as bad as Clemens' on-paper numbers were, I can't see how Pennington is at all a better option than anyone not named Kyle Boller or Brodie Croyle or Cleo Lemon. I don't think this stuff is lost on the coaching staff. Frankly, even though it's technically a 50/50 chance, I'd be surprised if Pennington was the starter when the season begins.

The job has to be Clemens to lose. Pennington might beat him out, Clemens may be that bad. OTOH, Pennington absolutely blew last season and he didn't have any excuse that can't also be attributed to Clemens and multiplied in significance. I don't think the FO made any decisions to specifically help one QB over the other. They simply tried to improve the team as best they could.

Archived