CHAD PENNINGTON WILL BE THE STARTER IN SEPTEMBER 2008

BaumerJet

Why do I keep seeing this arguement that because the Jets drafted a QB it must mean they did it for Pennington? When has Chad ever seriously utilized the TE? This past season Clemens was much more inclined to go to the TE than Chad so, if anything, drafting Keller was to help Clemens.

Fact is, trying to upgrade skill positions is trying to help whatever QB is starting whether its Chad or Clemens.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think even last summer the competition was that lopsided. We had a couple of camp reports where BS yelled at Chad to get off the field because the offense wasn't moving the ball - yes, against OUR suck-job defense - and then they put Clemens in & the offense marched down the field pretty effectively. But he wasn't impressive enough to make up for Chad's experience (let alone his popularity with teammates). And for whatever reason, Mangini has a man-crush on him.

Actually I think it's Clemens that comes into camp with the edge. It'll be an even competition where no one has a real leg-up, but if they're both about equal over the summer I think we open with Clemens because it opens up the playbook more. The field is just too damn short with Chad in there. When your receivers aren't burners, you need a QB to zip it in there fast when they get a little separation; that split-second window of opportunity to throw it in there doesn't last long. Chad has no zip on his passes & his release is slow. Quite a handicap for the offense. His play-action kicks ass though. Would kick ass a lot better if there was a real threat to throw the ball over 3 yards.

I hope you are right SE.

I agree on the Pennington prediction as far as Ainge ever being the NYJETS starting QB......

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE....This guy was a backup in college and you think hes gonna be a starting NFL QB.

Ainge was no backup bro, he's not far behind that Manning guy in Indy in UT record books with half of the play time (granted due to injuries)...

Oh but you probably think winning superbowls and practically ruling the SEC for four years makes that Manning guy mediocre too huh?

I think it's Clemens that comes into camp with the edge. It'll be an even competition where no one has a real leg-up, but if they're both about equal over the summer I think we open with Clemens because it opens up the playbook more.

I think it's a competition in name only. That it's Clemens' job to lose. Pennington is here as an insurance policy. In training camp, he's insurance against Kellen taking a massive step backwards. For the rest of the year, he's a high priced backup. Someone who'll be asked to hold the fort if Clemens gets hurt.

Clemens holds both QB's jobs in his hands for '09, IMHO. If he proves to be a capable starter, they let Chad go after the season and bring in a cheaper vet. If Clemens proves otherwise, they cut ties with him and make QB a priority in next year's draft.

I think it's a competition in name only. That it's Clemens' job to lose. Pennington is here as an insurance policy. In training camp, he's insurance against Kellen taking a massive step backwards. For the rest of the year, he's a high priced backup. Someone who'll be asked to hold the fort if Clemens gets hurt.

Clemens holds both QB's jobs in his hands for '09, IMHO. If he proves to be a capable starter, they let Chad go after the season and bring in a cheaper vet. If Clemens proves otherwise, they cut ties with him and make QB a priority in next year's draft.

I do not expect to see any great QB's in next years draft. :character42:

Then why draft the way we did...

They drafted to fill holes for a QB - Not Kellen Clements.

This again proves that the organization considers Clements a BUST & therefore have no choice but to stack their team into developing an offense to compliment their QB - Chad Pennington.

You're stealing my ideas. That's plagerism. lol

C'mon guys, clearly Erik Ainge has all the tools and will lead this franchise to glory.

I think its clear also. 6'6" Tall SEC QB with the experience from a top SEC School with not much talent around him. One knock obvioiusly is NFL experience, proneness to injury and lack of a big arm. He is though able to throw very accurately and just seems like he could have a moxy someday like Brady. I think we're SB bound very soon 1-2 years.

Does anyone really think the '08 Jets are more talented than the '04 Jets?

Chad Pennington couldn't get it done then, and two surgeries later, he isn't going to get it done now.

Amazing how quickly people forget about the first 8 games last season, when the so-called game manager single-handedly lost the Jets several games.

Does anyone really think the '08 Jets are more talented than the '04 Jets?

Chad Pennington couldn't get it done then, and two surgeries later, he isn't going to get it done now.

Amazing how quickly people forget about the first 8 games last season, when the so-called game manager single-handedly lost the Jets several games.

God I agree so much. I mean single-handedly, not even because of the O-Line, but because of his atrocious decision making and inability to recognize the secondaries clear habit of jumping the 7 yard hook patterns and crossing plays we always run. It's awful. Kellen at least lets us have the ability to stretch the field at least 14 yards down the field compared to I'd say Chad's 8 (thats being reallllllyyy nice). Let's go Kellen and TJones, and Gholston and Pace, and Rhodes, and Revis, and Jenkins, and Faneca, and Woody...god those are about 5 more players than I would've been able to root for last year this time round.

To answer your question - yes - it's a sick sad joke if we have to look at Penny pus arm take snaps this year. The net of all the improvements we've made will only buy us another 1.5 seconds for him to get picked or have an RB get stuffed from the overstacked box.

I don't believe the guy who started the post was joking though. Hard tellin what his deal is.

The only joke is on those who think we drafted to accommodate pus arm.

We have a winner!

That was my whole point - MANGINI & TANNENBAUM were looking for a replacement at QB - If they could get it.

They didn't & instead went after players who will not work well with KC but with CP!

And that was my point!

I agree on the Pennington prediction as far as Ainge ever being the NYJETS starting QB......

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE....This guy was a backup in college and you think hes gonna be a starting NFL QB.

Duh! Wasn't Brady warming the bench his senior year in college? I'm not saying that Ainge is going to be a boom or bust, we just have to wait & see how it shakes out in the next few years.

Have a little confidence in the F.O. & C.S.

Just saying.....

p1_ainge.jpg

Der Der Deeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Here I come to save the day!!!!!!

(NFL.com comparing Erik Ainge to that of NFL superstar Ken Dorsey: He lacks the foot speed to elude pocket pressure and his accuracy suffers when forced to throw after being flushed out of the pocket. He is a precise short-to-intermediate passer, he has had a fair share of injuries, but he is slow to recover making one wonder if he has the physical and mental toughness to be more than a clipboard holder at the next level)

Funny, he can't avoid pressure but was sack a grand total of 3 times last year in the SEC...hmmm..I wonder who pays he guy that wrote this?

oh great just what we need another "respectable" season of diminished expectations. I guess for some who have only BEEN Jets fans for a couple of years that would be OK, not with the rest of us-we would actually like to see us play in another super bowl before we pass on to the great beyond. Chad Pennington is a 10 win at best QB-at BEST. I'd rather take my chances on Clemens

Personally, I

Erik Ainge that ho!

Now watch him throw!

Crank dat arm!

Watch Ainge crank it watch him throw!

Erik Ainge that ho!

You catch Ainge at your local Training Camp, haters be mad cause he came from Tennessee.

You! You!

Erik Ainge up in this ho!

Erik Ainge that ho!

a couple of seasons ago Denver was on their way to a playoff spot with Jake Plummer at the helm. Mike Shanahan did the unthinkable-he benched Plummer in favor of the rookie Jay Cutler, why? He saw his team wasn't going anywhere in the playoffs with a guy who was going to lose in the first round (like Chad always did) so he pulled the trigger for the bigger picture and the long term betterment of his team-which is what we did last year and will continue on the same course in '08.

Jay Cutler was a much better prospect than Clemens and Jake Plummer was a lot worse than Chad.

Jay Cutler was a much better prospect than Clemens and Jake Plummer was a lot worse than Chad.

You can't be serious with what I bolded.

Jake Plummer was a much better Quarterback than Chad Pennington and it isn't even close. Don't let 2002 fool you. Plummer > Pennington, by far.

Archived