CHAD PENNINGTON WILL BE THE STARTER IN SEPTEMBER 2008

BaumerJet

And here's why...

• Dustin Keller - TE - Purdue - Kind of gives you a clue – they wanted Ryan but because Atlanta took him, they could not parlay Pennington for picks – That being said – this pick makes you belive that Kellen Clements may really be a BUST – Pennington needs this Jeremy Shockey (with good hands) clone at TE in order for him to have someone to throw slants to on 3rd down conversions – he’s tall enough to catch a high ball, something that Baker did have problems with the last 2 years on & off
  • Marcus Henry – WR – Kansas: I think we just got an incredible slot receiver in the making – His senior year he had 54 receptions for 1,014 yards (18.8 average) and 10 touchdowns, plus a 23-yard run – many expected him a late pick because of the fact that he is a short package receiver – kind of like Chrebet – who plays the in & out better than he does the long drive - Will work great with a "SLOT PASSER" - Can anyone say Pennington
  • Eric Ainge – QB - Tennessee - Yeah he was hurt more than he played but had a better college completion percentage than Clements – The boy may become a great 2nd string in a few years – not so bad a pick and a good fit into this organization

Discuss...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is this a joke? Pennington is as good as done in Green and White!

Then why draft the way we did...

They drafted to fill holes for a QB - Not Kellen Clements.

This again proves that the organization considers Clements a BUST & therefore have no choice but to stack their team into developing an offense to compliment their QB - Chad Pennington.

Gainzo summed up the three picks in a nutshell there and is right on each one.

Keller is thought to be a Clark / Cooley clone. Not a blocker whatsoever as that role will be given to Bubba Franks (blocking). He will be the receiver that isn't really a receiver in the slot in 2008. Obviously the Jets thought he was better than any of the receivers on the board at 30. Hopefully they're right.

Henry? One great season at KU doesn't spell success. This guy is Matt Jones 2 with less speed and much less hype. He's Justin McCareins with better hands but minus the speed. Red Zone target is all he's worth.

Erik Ainge? :lol:

As for the QB, I disagree with people thinking Kellen will win the job. Clearly this is to help Chad with his duck lobs in the redzone and instead of a speed receiver who could get down field they chose to go with a Tight End that will break tackles after short, 5-10 yard completions. Chad ball baby!

I agree on the Pennington prediction as far as Ainge ever being the NYJETS starting QB......

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE....This guy was a backup in college and you think hes gonna be a starting NFL QB.

Um Ainge started all 4 years at Tennessee I don't see how he was a backup. Also the thread started of this post is retarded, his is entire point is since they drafted positions to help the QB such as a WR and TE that Pennington is the QB they did that for and not Kellen so he is a bust. How do you know they didn't get all this help for Kellen? Your argument is seriously one of the most nonsensical things I've read on this forum the past few days.

It makes absolutely no sense to draft players simply to accomidate a 32-year old has been QB that is so good he got benched for the final half of last season.

Second of all, for all his dump-offs and check-downs, Pennington has never, ever utlized the tight end.

you care to make a wager on that prediction Baumer? I'll go you one further; Chad Pennington won't even BE a Jet in September

SoFla as much as I think it should be the Clemens era, I don't think the Jets are ready to let go of Pennington this season. Pennington is barely, but still, the face of this organization. They respect him way too much to not give him every chance to stay on board for another year.

Besides do you think Clemens will out perform Penny in a training camp competition this year? I don't, notwithstanding that Clemens has more upside for the future, this is Pennington's job to lose.

You can call this year 2008 Pennington Reloaded.

Then why draft the way we did...

They drafted to fill holes for a QB - Not Kellen Clements.

This again proves that the organization considers Clements a BUST & therefore have no choice but to stack their team into developing an offense to compliment their QB - Chad Pennington.

maybe if you could spell the backups name right, i'd take this more seriously as it is----I'll just assume you are 15.

It would be more convincing if he was on his back under a DT and a LBer.
This is True, I like Penny and Clemens but I say let them battle it out in camp and then start the better QB based on that.

If in fact the O-line and running game improve both QB's will be better, but I still think it's Pennington's job to lose and KC will be a good QB for us eventually.

This is True, I like Penny and Clemens but I say let them battle it out in camp and then start the better QB based on that. If in fact the Oiline and running game improve both QB's will be better, but I still think it's Pennington's job to lose and KC will be a good QB for us eventually.

Pennington is atrocious & takes all imagination out of an OC's playbook.

I haven't seen him play with a competent OL or a pair of legitimate (or healthy) NFL WR's yet, but Clemens sucked pretty badly last year also.

Pennington is atrocious & takes all imagination out of an OC's playbook.

I haven't seen him play with a competent OL or a pair of legitimate (or healthy) NFL WR's yet, but Clemens sucked pretty badly last year also.

I agree, but considering the circumstance the Jets and us are in, I say let who ever starts beat the other guy out, and I still hold hope that Clemens will be much better for us with upgrades around him.

I just think as of right now Penny will probably beat him out and give them a slighty better chance to win.

I agree, but considering the circumstance the Jets and us are in, I say let who ever starts beat the other guy out, and I still hold hope that Clemens will be much better for us with upgrades around him.

I just think as of right now Penny will probably beat him out and give them a slighty better chance to win.

I don't think even last summer the competition was that lopsided. We had a couple of camp reports where BS yelled at Chad to get off the field because the offense wasn't moving the ball - yes, against OUR suck-job defense - and then they put Clemens in & the offense marched down the field pretty effectively. But he wasn't impressive enough to make up for Chad's experience (let alone his popularity with teammates). And for whatever reason, Mangini has a man-crush on him.

Actually I think it's Clemens that comes into camp with the edge. It'll be an even competition where no one has a real leg-up, but if they're both about equal over the summer I think we open with Clemens because it opens up the playbook more. The field is just too damn short with Chad in there. When your receivers aren't burners, you need a QB to zip it in there fast when they get a little separation; that split-second window of opportunity to throw it in there doesn't last long. Chad has no zip on his passes & his release is slow. Quite a handicap for the offense. His play-action kicks ass though. Would kick ass a lot better if there was a real threat to throw the ball over 3 yards.

Archived