Jets re-sign Hank Poteat

HamSandwich

It really is good news. I mean, yeah, you hope he doesn't win a starting job, but he's a valuable reserve. I was a little surprised no one picked him up - thinking maybe he had a verbal agreement with the Jets.

Either way, glad he's back.

Miller better step up this year. I want to see him knocking people's heads off...

i'm with you on that one. It seems to be based on our pass rush, but having miller's speed will allow him to play tight to the reciever. If the plays never develop like they did every down last year we should be more than fine at the CB spot.

I'm more interested if BT plays hard this year seeing as he is expendible after the season with our two new signings.

depth yeah right - this dude is gonna start... again - and play alot of vet snaps for the win-now Mangini.

and ya know what with an improved pass rush maybe it won't be so terrible.

Sad but probably true. Its the same crew he beat out last year , plus Lowery.

Poteat Returns to the Green & White Fold

Published: 05-06-08

pr-mic-medium.jpg?1160069598

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2181-poteat-returns-to-the-green-white-fold

The New York Jets have re-signed unrestricted free agent DB Hank Poteat. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Poteat (5’10”, 195) returns to the Jets after appearing in all 16 games in 2007. He started nine games, recording the first two interceptions of his eight-year career in consecutive games vs. Philadelphia’s Donovan McNabb and Cincinnati’s Carson Palmer. On the season, Poteat registered a career-high 45 tackles and five pass breakups.

Poteat first joined the Jets in 2006 after stints with Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and New England. He was drafted by the Steelers in the third round (77th overall) of the 2000 NFL Draft.

The competition should be between Poteat, Miller and Lowery. The rest are fighting for the final spot on the roster as the #5 Cornerback unless the team plans to carry 6 in which case, two of the rest will fight for a job.

The competition should be between Poteat, Miller and Lowery. The rest are fighting for the final spot on the roster as the #5 Cornerback unless the team plans to carry 6 in which case, two of the rest will fight for a job.

Curious to see how Miller looks this year. That is a tough injury to come back from. I thought good things were going to happen for him last year. It was unfortunate.

Smart sign by the Jets..Knows the defense in and out..giving coaches a little extra time to get Lowery up to speed, good mentor for Lowery..show how a good pro prepares and survives for a long time in a league where a career averages 4 years..This is the kind of guy Mangini likes in the locker room around younger players.

Smart sign by the Jets..Knows the defense in and out..giving coaches a little extra time to get Lowery up to speed, good mentor for Lowery..show how a good pro prepares and survives for a long time in a league where a career averages 4 years..This is the kind of guy Mangini likes in the locker room around younger players.

Agree G212, Can't have enough Vets who know the system.

depth yeah right - this dude is gonna start... again - and play alot of vet snaps for the win-now Mangini.

and ya know what with an improved pass rush maybe it won't be so terrible.

How Gholston and the rest of the front 7 do next season is a lot more important. Our secondary was actually pretty good last season but they still got lit up b/c the front 7 couldn't get anywhere near the QB nor stop the run.

Not necessarily. I could see a situation where Lowery shifts to safety, due to lack of speed. Not to mention, his ball-hawking ability would complement Rhodes' style of play nicely. If that were to happen, the Jets would keep Revis, Poteat, Miller, Woolfolk, and Coleman IMO.

How Gholston and the rest of the front 7 do next season is a lot more important. Our secondary was actually pretty good last season but they still got lit up b/c the front 7 couldn't get anywhere near the QB nor stop the run.

Much like most of the past 6 or 7 years, I don't know how much our pass defense was good so much as our run defense was bad. Why pass - risk sacks, interceptions, etc. - when you can keep moving the chains almost at will on the ground & keep your own defense off the field?

Statistically, teams with a piss-poor rush defense always seem to have good pass defense numbers. Was Miami's pass defense so wonderful last year, or did teams just continue to run the ball to the tune of 544 attempts (dead last in attempts & yards)? I mean they got picked on by Chad Pennington (2 TD's) & Kellen Clemens (1 TD and 10 ypa). But go take a look at the overall numbers & someone will say they had the 4th best pass defense by virtue of the number of yards surrendered through the air.

A strong pass rush always helps the secondary. Look at the last bunch of SB champs. The Giants' secondary wasn't so wonderful; they got to the QB fast. Same with the Patriots* sticking undrafted scrubs & WR's back there; the Steelers' crappy corners; Indy's mediocre corners, etc. They got to the QB fast & covered up a lot of it that way.

So if our big weakness on defense is David Barrett, we're in plenty good shape with a legit pass rush.

Archived