Really excited about our O-line and front seven

Untouchable

These two areas, which were our most glaring weaknesses last season, now have the potential to be dominant.

I think we can all agree that our O-line was the root of most of our problems on offense last year. Mangold was the one and only consistent player rounding out the front five. Brick showed flashes but got blown by in a few contests. Moore was average at best. As for Clarke and Clement, well, we all know that they were two rotating piles of sh*t with no valuable use whatsoever.

Now in comes Alan Faneca. Seven time consecutive pro-bowler known for his ability to pave way in the running game and is well regarded as a nasty player with a maulers attitude. His passblocking skills have diminished slightly over the past two years, but he's still one of the Top 5 OG's in the NFL. Damien Woody is a rock solid stop-gap solution who showed some potential at RT late last season in Detroit. He's definitely an upgrade over Anthony Clement and should be the starter on the right side for the next year or two until a guy like Bender or Garner can step up or perhaps we take an OT prospect high in the near future.

With Brick, Faneca, and Mangold entrenched on the left side, our running game could be dominant.

Now we come around to the front seven.

Our passrush was non-existent last year and we once again gave up tons of yards on the ground. Kris Jenkins was such a valuable pickup it's hard to put into words. Only a blindman wouldn't have noticed D-Rob getting tossed around like a ragdoll at NT last season. Having a bigbody who commands constant doubleteams is key to having success in the 3-4 defense. Jenkins is the big 350 lb mauler that we've been desperately searching for. We ousted Hobson who was a complete stiff last year and brought in both Gholston and Pace to wreak havoc off the edge. We already know that Harris will be a main staple at ILB for the next 10 years and Barton, while not a star, is still a solid LB who brings a swagger to the defense. Gholston, Harris, Barton, and Pace with Bowens and Thomas coming off the bench sounds like an excellent recipe for getting after the QB if you ask me.

We have major questions regarding QB and the #2 CB spot, but you can't help but be very excited about what this new look O-line and front seven are capable of.

the nice thing about having solid O/D-lines (on paper at least) is that you can win any game you are in. Doesn't mean you will win them all, but you are more than capable of stealing a few games here and there from superior competition.

The guys I am interested in watching are:

Brick, i want to see if his run blocking improves since he will now have a more specific assignment. I can't even imagine what it must have been like playing next to clarke who is just garbage in all aspects of the game. For any of you that have ever played a sport...just imagine having the worst player on both teams next to you for every play coupled with a 2nd year QB running the plays. I know it's a New York thing to be a 100% downer, 100% of the time but Brick could make some very solid strides this year.

Bowens; Seems to be the forgotten man. No one here could convince me that he is worse than Bryan Thomas, the only way that happens is if Thomas gets the sense of urgency that he is expendible with the Pace/Gholston signings. Bowens is great in the 3rd and long since he can play DE and OLBer, he gives us a quality pass rush with just three players, while still being rather stout on the run.

Back-up DE's. Who are these guys? I know we have Pouha that can spell Jenkins, and Mangini had moved D-rob to the end slot a few times last year, but i honestly don't even know who are back up ends are. If Ellis or Coleman go down we could be in some trouble.

These two areas, which were our most glaring weaknesses last season, now have the potential to be dominant.

I think we can all agree that our O-line was the root of most of our problems on offense last year. Mangold was the one and only consistent player rounding out the front five. Brick showed flashes but got blown by in a few contests. Moore was average at best. As for Clarke and Clement, well, we all know that they were two rotating piles of sh*t with no valuable use whatsoever.

Now in comes Alan Faneca. Seven time consecutive pro-bowler known for his ability to pave way in the running game and is well regarded as a nasty player with a maulers attitude. His passblocking skills have diminished slightly over the past two years, but he's still one of the Top 5 OG's in the NFL. Damien Woody is a rock solid stop-gap solution who showed some potential at RT late last season in Detroit. He's definitely an upgrade over Anthony Clement and should be the starter on the right side for the next year or two until a guy like Bender or Garner can step up or perhaps we take an OT prospect high in the near future.

With Brick, Faneca, and Mangold entrenched on the left side, our running game could be dominant.

Now we come around to the front seven.

Our passrush was non-existent last year and we once again gave up tons of yards on the ground. Kris Jenkins was such a valuable pickup it's hard to put into words. Only a blindman wouldn't have noticed D-Rob getting tossed around like a ragdoll at NT last season. Having a bigbody who commands constant doubleteams is key to having success in the 3-4 defense. Jenkins is the big 350 lb mauler that we've been desperately searching for. We ousted Hobson who was a complete stiff last year and brought in both Gholston and Pace to wreak havoc off the edge. We already know that Harris will be a main staple at ILB for the next 10 years and Barton, while not a star, is still a solid LB who brings a swagger to the defense. Gholston, Harris, Barton, and Pace with Bowens and Thomas coming off the bench sounds like an excellent recipe for getting after the QB if you ask me.

We have major questions regarding QB and the #2 CB spot, but you can't help but be very excited about what this new look O-line and front seven are capable of.

I agree with this completely, we really do have the potential to be a dominant team this season. It should be very fun to watch as normally I

Dominant running game? Maybe, but I'd settle for good. We also need to protect a lot better and one of the worst offenders still starts at RG. He's not a terrible player, but he was lost in pass protection, especially against New England and teams that mixed up their blitzes.

Not to totally dismiss what you're saying. Faneca is a great player at the position we sucked at more than any other. If the weak-link theory has any validity, we got a lot better right there. Can his presence have the added benefit of making the kids adjacent to him better? That's sort of the big question. If he improved three spots, then he'd be worth his contract and then some. We'll see.

As for the front seven, I want to see the D-line perform first. Certainly we've imported some talent and Gholston is something we've desperately lacked. He and Harris, with a solid supporting cast makes for a dynamite LB corp.

I want to see Ellis play better. I want to see us get closer to our money's worth from Kenyon Coleman. And, as much as I liked the move to add Jenkins, he's played most of his career in a 4-3. He's got an adjustment coming just like Gholston does.

I agree that most of the players are steps in the right direction, but dominance is not like the next step in the progression when you're working from 4-12. You could rightly point out that a similar roster to the 2007 team went 10-6 in 2006 and you'd have a fair point. Still, dominance, in my opinion, seems a year or so away - if we're lucky.

I agree with what Meddle said. Dominance seems like a dream at this point. It is nice to hope for but I am not sure it is realistic to expect.

I think the running game will be better (it couldn't be worse). But will Thomas Jones' age start to become a factor? I know he didn't carry much early in his career. But he is reaching a point that typically isn't good for backs.

Even with the improved offensive line, we still have a very mediocre offense. My only real hope is that Clemens can turn the corner and develop into a decent QB. If we trot out Pennington and Thomas Jones with Brad Smith in the slot, our offense is going to blow no matter who is blocking.

I really hope Jenkins works at NT. He has the right size and he isn't a scrub like D-Rob.

He's still playing a new position Pete. I'm holding my breath until the games actually start though he certainly is better suited size wise than D'Rob.

Even with the improved offensive line, we still have a very mediocre offense. My only real hope is that Clemens can turn the corner and develop into a decent QB. If we trot out Pennington and Thomas Jones with Brad Smith in the slot, our offense is going to blow no matter who is blocking.

:puke: I was just picturing Brad Smith as our slut errr slot receiver.

Isn't it almost comedic? I mean every season for at least eight years we have had an average O/Dline or way worse. You'd think you could look at the succesful teams in the league and make note of how great their lines tend to be. Two units that literally make every unit on the team better.

If you said the last 3 years I'd agree with you. But the last 8 years? C'mon.

I don't think our OL was "average or way worse" until 2005. It was actually one of the better & more stable units in the league for several consecutive seasons, and hid much of the deficiencies in coaching & playcalling.

2000-2001:

Fabini-Jenkins-Mawae-Thomas-Young

2002:

Fabini-Szott/Machado-Mawae-Thomas-McKenzie. Machado sucked, but the rest of the line was still solid.

2003:

Fabini-Szott-Mawae-Thomas-McKenzie

2004:

Fabini-Kendall-Mawae-Moore-McKenzie. Landing Kendall in August was about as lucky as lucky gets.

Nor was the pre-2005 DL of Ellis-Fergie-[burton/Evans/DRob]-Abraham average or "way worse" than average.

Our lines were the very things that kept us competitive from 2000-2004. If they were similar to the 2005-2007 lines, they each would have been ~5-win teams.

Bowens; Seems to be the forgotten man. No one here could convince me that he is worse than Bryan Thomas, the only way that happens is if Thomas gets the sense of urgency that he is expendible with the Pace/Gholston signings. Bowens is great in the 3rd and long since he can play DE and OLBer, he gives us a quality pass rush with just three players, while still being rather stout on the run.

I think he outplayed BOTH Thomas and Coleman-by the middle of the year he was the 2nd most active guy we had in our front 7...David Bowens plays with reckless abandon and I would rather see him that The BT Express

No matter who the Quarterback, Slot Receiver or Running Back is Troll and others, if the Offensive Line is improved we are going to score more points. Its just that simple. Any offense, with a good Offensive Line, will score points.

The key will be what the front seven and the secondary do on the Defensive side of the ball because they have the talent to become a somewhat dominant 17 points or less per game defense, except of course when they're playing New England.

No matter who the Quarterback, Slot Receiver or Running Back is Troll and others, if the Offensive Line is improved we are going to score more points. Its just that simple. Any offense, with a good Offensive Line, will score points.

The key will be what the front seven and the secondary do on the Defensive side of the ball because they have the talent to become a somewhat dominant 17 points or less per game defense, except of course when they're playing New England.

On the defensive side, just clogging the middle avoids the constant 6 and 7 yard runs that put the defense in a hole. Not to mention, keeping the LBer's clean. The emergence of Revis affords the luxury of safety help to the other corner. Let's be realistic. This defense has real potential if the #2 corner is filled. Poteat did a graet job filling in and would be a great #3 corner/nickel back. We need to upgrade the #2 corner or New England will continue to toast us. With a good option at #2, say Ty Law, this defense could be a top 10 type. We did finish at #9 overall in pass defense, after being like 24 after the first half.

On offense, we may not be dynamic but we have weapons. The QB aside, because without good play there forget it, what's wrong with our weapons? We have two 80 catch/1000 yard receivers in Coles and Cotchery. The slot will be Chansi Stuckey (remember where you heard it). The running backs are Jones/Washington, Chatman and maybeWoodhead!!!! TE is solid with Baker, Franks and Keller offering a new (Shockey type) dimension.

Add an easy schedule and this could be a decent year. The keys are QB and the #2 corner.

With a limited pass rush, Hank Poteat played very well down the stretch last season starting as the #2 Cornerback. Justin Miller, according to Mangini, was coming into his own at Cornerback and was improving. Of course we never got to see any evidence of that in a game last season since we lost him in Week 2 for the season, but I'm not throwing him out as a potential starter yet. Lowery is too young and played his college ball at DII and SDSU, he'll need time to develop.

And honestly, we don't really need a great #2 Corner to compete with New England. We have Revis for Moss and a supposed solid pass rush with Pace, Gholston & Thomas to get to Brady and New England doesn't really use a #2 receiver. Jabar Gaffney will be lined outside and last I checked he isn't the scariest receiver in the league. The big thing against New England will be how the slot Corner lines up against White Wes Welker. I think Miller, with his speed, would be perfect there if Poteat can continue to hold down the fort on the outside.

With a limited pass rush, Hank Poteat played very well down the stretch last season starting as the #2 Cornerback. Justin Miller, according to Mangini, was coming into his own at Cornerback and was improving. Of course we never got to see any evidence of that in a game last season since we lost him in Week 2 for the season, but I'm not throwing him out as a potential starter yet. Lowery is too young and played his college ball at DII and SDSU, he'll need time to develop.

And honestly, we don't really need a great #2 Corner to compete with New England. We have Revis for Moss and a supposed solid pass rush with Pace, Gholston & Thomas to get to Brady and New England doesn't really use a #2 receiver. Jabar Gaffney will be lined outside and last I checked he isn't the scariest receiver in the league. The big thing against New England will be how the slot Corner lines up against White Wes Welker. I think Miller, with his speed, would be perfect there if Poteat can continue to hold down the fort on the outside.

you may be onto something there 124 with your Justin Miller on Welker matchup. One thing we DO know about Miller is he's a physical player-he LIKES to lay the wood and having him be able to hit like a small LBer on the slot receiver will help disrupt those crossing patterns that Welker (like Chrebet as the proto-type before him) excells at

you may be onto something there 124 with your Justin Miller on Welker matchup. One thing we DO know about Miller is he's a physical player-he LIKES to lay the wood and having him be able to hit like a small LBer on the slot receiver will help disrupt those crossing patterns that Welker (like Chrebet as the proto-type before him) excells at

Yep, thats another thing about Miller's game that has gone un-noticed by many. He does love to hit as he loves to be noticed, he loves the big play. Unfortunately that hurt him in his early years as he often bit on the pump fake, especially against Tom Brady. I think he could match-up very well with Welker in the slot and would be one of the very few Corner's in the league that could stay with him down the field.

If you said the last 3 years I'd agree with you. But the last 8 years? C'mon.

I don't think our OL was "average or way worse" until 2005. It was actually one of the better & more stable units in the league for several consecutive seasons, and hid much of the deficiencies in coaching & playcalling.

2000-2001:

Fabini-Jenkins-Mawae-Thomas-Young

2002:

Fabini-Szott/Machado-Mawae-Thomas-McKenzie. Machado sucked, but the rest of the line was still solid.

2003:

Fabini-Szott-Mawae-Thomas-McKenzie

2004:

Fabini-Kendall-Mawae-Moore-McKenzie. Landing Kendall in August was about as lucky as lucky gets.

Nor was the pre-2005 DL of Ellis-Fergie-[burton/Evans/DRob]-Abraham average or "way worse" than average.

Our lines were the very things that kept us competitive from 2000-2004. If they were similar to the 2005-2007 lines, they each would have been ~5-win teams.

They were a solid unit against weak to average teams. I'll never forget both of our lines getting wrecked by a much larger Oakland line both times we played in 02. The game was basically over in the first half when Garner could go for 4 yards before he even had to worry about a defender.

The best D-line we had, IMO, was abe, fergie, d-rob, and ellis. The problem with that is none of those guys would start on one of the best defensive lines on any current NFL team (assuming they would be the same age back then at this point). Abe was a dominant player but only when he wanted to, same with fergie, and d-rob was a rookie. That line was mostly name sake and nothing more.

As our offensive line goes, yeah they probably were a bit above average but i still think Mawae has been massively overrated for about 6 years now. In 02 he was probably still worthy of a type 5 center but there is no way he should have been the perenial all pro that the media made him out to be.

It seemed that whenever our lines ran into the other good lines of the league we were the ones lying on our backs.

I think he outplayed BOTH Thomas and Coleman-by the middle of the year he was the 2nd most active guy we had in our front 7...David Bowens plays with reckless abandon and I would rather see him that The BT Express

I don't understand the coaching philosophy on these occassions. I know there are more things that go on than any fan can see, but when we were sitting in the second deck in Miami, a blind man could see Leon was better than Jones, and that Thomas wasn't better than any end on either team.

I don't get it.

With Leon they believe he's too little to be an every down back and he didn't get the ball as much in 2007 because of the horrific Offensive Line and because they didn't want to wear him down so that he could still be an effective Kick Returner. Theres a reason why across the league the best Kick Returners hardly ever see the field other than Special Teams.

As for Thomas over Bowens, its all about the upside. Who has more upside and who has more potential to step it up on a given play and make a play. Thomas by far. Unfortunately, he didn't do much of anything in 2007.

Yep, thats another thing about Miller's game that has gone un-noticed by many. He does love to hit as he loves to be noticed, he loves the big play. Unfortunately that hurt him in his early years as he often bit on the pump fake, especially against against Tom Brady. I think he could match-up very well with Welker in the slot and would be one of the very few Corner's in the league that could stay with him down the field.

and remember how much Chrebet HATED Heimerdinger who would send him across the middle to get whacked hard by LBers-Justin Miller can HIT like a Vilma sized LBer hits-whether he can cover now is still another thing.

Two things about Justin-he messed his knee up bad last year and that injury he sustained is one of the kind that usually takes (they say) two years to completely recover from.

Two-Mangini was saying some good stuff about him finally "getting it" before that injury-I hope so-for Miller's sake otherwise he won't even BE a Jet by August

I don't understand the coaching philosophy on these occassions. I know there are more things that go on than any fan can see, but when we were sitting in the second deck in Miami, a blind man could see Leon was better than Jones, and that Thomas wasn't better than any end on either team.

I don't get it.

As to TJ MD; I think it was the case where we had to put a guy in there who could sustain a LOT of punishment-Jones had to make those 2 yard jaunts all on his own...Leon with a better line this year will see a lot more carries and don't underestimate Jesse Chatham-that kid KNOW Schotts system and is a power back with speed.

As to BT-I say he's and Ellis are on short leashes this year and I suspect our starting defense will be looking a LOT different by Thanksgiving than what we will see in September

I think all the talk about Miller "getting it" according to Mangini is overblown. That struck me as coachspeak the entire preseason. Coaches say **** like that all the time when they don't mean it. If anything, it struck me as setting up a path to cut Barrett. Since Barrett is still here I was probably wrong about that, but I don't think it meant Miller was suddenly a starting caliber CB. I don't remember Miller showing one thing last year. He had a foot problem during camp and then quickly blew out his knee. He can hit, but he isn't exactly the surest tackler.

I think all the talk about Miller "getting it" according to Mangini is overblown. That struck me as coachspeak the entire preseason. Coaches say **** like that all the time when they don't mean it. If anything, it struck me as setting up a path to cut Barrett. Since Barrett is still here I was probably wrong about that, but I don't think it meant Miller was suddenly a starting caliber CB. I don't remember Miller showing one thing last year. He had a foot problem during camp and then quickly blew out his knee. He can hit, but he isn't exactly the surest tackler.

Yea Dom he's definitely still a big question mark and a one dimensional player-he made the pro bowl as a returner and that has some worth in a trade scenario-maybe Mangini is talking him up AS a CB for exactly that reason-for trade bait, to try and get a conditional pick for him in April

I think both of you guys might be undervaluing a guys ability to learn a position. Mangini was a secondary coach and was the same guy that had troy brown play a solid CB position for over half a season. Miller was 20 or 21 when he was drafted, he was the youngest or one of the youngest players on the team for not one but two straight seasons.

He is still very young, he has all the athletiscm you can ask for and he is no Ahmad Carroll. If he can't start as the number two he could play a solid nickel back role.

I think both of you guys might be undervaluing a guys ability to learn a position. Mangini was a secondary coach and was the same guy that had troy brown play a solid CB position for over half a season. Miller was 20 or 21 when he was drafted, he was the youngest or one of the youngest players on the team for not one but two straight seasons.

He is still very young, he has all the athletiscm you can ask for and he is no Ahmad Carroll. If he can't start as the number two he could play a solid nickel back role.

I hope so-I don't like to root against any Jets players-except maybe this year with Clemens over Chad (for Clemens-anti CP)

I'll root for Miller, but I don't think "learning" the position is such a great excuse. He hadn't exactly made great strides despite being given every opportunity. Now he's coming off a major injury that will negate some of his one strength-speed. Mangini coached Troy Brown to be a decent DB in a half a season. He didn't do much with Miller in the full year. Besides, Herm was a "DB-guy". How'd that work out? I think people overvalue the DB coach aspect. Like Isiah was going to relate to Marbury, some guys will get it and some guys won't.

I'll root for Miller, but I don't think "learning" the position is such a great excuse. He hadn't exactly made great strides despite being given every opportunity. Now he's coming off a major injury that will negate some of his one strength-speed. Mangini coached Troy Brown to be a decent DB in a half a season. He didn't do much with Miller in the full year. Besides, Herm was a "DB-guy". How'd that work out? I think people overvalue the DB coach aspect. Like Isiah was going to relate to Marbury, some guys will get it and some guys won't.

On your "some get it and some do not" i completely agree. Miller was coming into his 3rd year as one of the better athletes in the NFL, I don't care what Mangini said about him in camp because i think it is mostly fluff as well. What i do care about his Miller's ability to tackle and run, if he were to have a coming out year it would have been his 3rd one. Now with the injury we have to wait and see on his 4th one but i still think he can deliver a quality preformance.

Maybe it's blind faith but with a guy that runs and hits like he does, I'd think he can play a a decent number 2 CB level.

On your "some get it and some do not" i completely agree. Miller was coming into his 3rd year as one of the better athletes in the NFL, I don't care what Mangini said about him in camp because i think it is mostly fluff as well. What i do care about his Miller's ability to tackle and run, if he were to have a coming out year it would have been his 3rd one. Now with the injury we have to wait and see on his 4th one but i still think he can deliver a quality preformance.

Maybe it's blind faith but with a guy that runs and hits like he does, I'd think he can play a a decent number 2 CB level.

How did your "I'm excited about the O-line and front seven" thread turn into a discussion about Justin Miller as a #2 CB or nickel? I don't think it's that big of a deal. Poteat is adequate. Miller will be better or he won't play. That's why I think having Poteat back was key. It's also why I find it odd that they are going with Damien Woody as the only candidte for RT. He's no sure thing and if he blows worse than Clement (he might) we're ****ed.

How did your "I'm excited about the O-line and front seven" thread turn into a discussion about Justin Miller as a #2 CB or nickel? I don't think it's that big of a deal. Poteat is adequate. Miller will be better or he won't play. That's why I think having Poteat back was key. It's also why I find it odd that they are going with Damien Woody as the only candidte for RT. He's no sure thing and if he blows worse than Clement (he might) we're ****ed.

haha, yeah back on topic...

I was pissed they didn't grab a RT in the draft (well other than the 7th round bama guy). I was really hoping Cherlious would fall into the second and we could grab him or that we trade out of the 6th spot to aquire more picks.

If we get hit with any kind of injury or if Ellis' play tails off significantly who do we play? Woody is in the same spot but not as bad, i think we have a gew guys that can stop gap at RT.

I honestly don't even know who Coleman and Ellis' backups are. Freaks me out a bit.

I've never seen Damian Woody get pancaked like we saw Clement last year

haha, yeah back on topic...

I was pissed they didn't grab a RT in the draft (well other than the 7th round bama guy). I was really hoping Cherlious would fall into the second and we could grab him or that we trade out of the 6th spot to aquire more picks.

If we get hit with any kind of injury or if Ellis' play tails off significantly who do we play? Woody is in the same spot but not as bad, i think we have a gew guys that can stop gap at RT.

I honestly don't even know who Coleman and Ellis' backups are. Freaks me out a bit.

right now Matt, Kareem Brown and Mike DeVito are the B/U DE's

http://www.thejetsblog.com/?page_id=3616

right now Matt, Kareem Brown and Mike DeVito are the B/U DE's

http://www.thejetsblog.com/?page_id=3616

Not exactly an exhaustive depth chart. He's missing Keller and still has Tutt who has been cut. At home I have a list of everybody on the team including the try-out players. The Jets currently have Mosley listed as a DE. They also have Gholston, Thomas, Bowens and Pace, all of whom have experience at DE. They may not be optimal 3-4 DEs, but they can play with their hand in the dirt.

Not exactly an exhaustive depth chart. He's missing Keller and still has Tutt who has been cut. At home I have a list of everybody on the team including the try-out players. The Jets currently have Mosley listed as a DE. They also have Gholston, Thomas, Bowens and Pace, all of whom have experience at DE. They may not be optimal 3-4 DEs, but they can play with their hand in the dirt.

gholston may be strong but if he gets chipped by a TE then mauled by a high level RT in the NFL he'll end up farther down the field than D-rob ever did. Situationally he could be a great pass rushing end in the 34, but we need some bigger bodies to clog the running lanes next to Jenkins.

Staying healthy could be our entire season.

OurLads has the best depth charts-unfortunately they switched to a pay site-but man they are the best and always right up to date. I Tried to get TJB to buy it-hey Max invest $25 in the site for the DC's-ya cheap bastid

OurLads has the best depth charts-unfortunately they switched to a pay site-but man they are the best and always right up to date. I Tried to get TJB to buy it-hey Max invest $25 in the site for the DC's-ya cheap bastid

I'm not sure how anyboy can have "good" depth charts. The team depth charts aren't notoriously inaccurate, but there is no way that any outside source can do anymore than guess what the coaches are planning. I'm sure Max would sign up to ourlads and provide the information to you as part of you $55 VIP membership fee.

Here are the candidates you can expect to see on the D line in camp this year:

NT

Kris Jenkins

Sione Pouha

CJ Mosley He's listed as a "DT" while the other two are listed as "NT". It's actually factually correct, which is unusual for a team website.

DE

Shaun Ellis

Kenyon Coleman

Kareem Brown official roster has him as DL, but he'd be a DE

Mike Devito

Brian Mattison. This is the UDFA that they were comparing to Kampman. Could be a good prospect because he was seen as an undersized DT or 3-4 DE, but supposedly recently put on 20 lbs up to 290 and they supposedly liked his performance in the camp. Despite his alleged 290 lb weight the Jets roster still lists him at 272

Ropati Pitoitua 6'8" 290 lber from Washington St. I know nothing about him, but he is immense and was just signed as an UDFA

These guys were at the mini-camp, but not offered contracts:

Victor Akoteu - DL Idaho huge 6'3" 340 probably NT prospect

Brandt Hollander, Yale, 6'3", 285 probably a DE prospect

Chris McKillop, DL, Pittsburgh, 6'3", 265

Karl Noa, DL, Hawaii, 6'4", 238 Listed as "DL" but played at LB (check his weight)

Jacob Owens, DL, Fairmont State, 6'4", 275 probably DE

David Thompson, NT, Massachusetts, 6'3", 310

AFAIK none of try-out guys were offered contracts, but they are likely on the top of the list of guys the team will invite in when people start getting hurt or quitting camp.

Archived