Ugh... Jets bashed in another season preview

Sandy The Sixth

Don't these people remember that we almost beat the Patriots in the playoffs 2 years ago!?

I like this site, but this guy is overly critical of the Jets. I don't get why he bashes Chad and Mangini so much.

I did find those Brian Schottenheimer stats enlightening though, I saw them before, but seeing them again reminds me of how bad that game was.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2008nyj.php

the report loses a lot of credibility talking about chadwick's numerous knee surgeries....

there is a pretty consistent trend of analysts who can't understand why the jets keep pennington around. i happen to agree - every 3rd party observer sees the obvious lack of arm strength as a huge albatross on the offense. only chadwick loving jet fans who remember him for what he was in 02 cling to the hope that he can miraculaous return to that form. unfortunately that ship has sailed and the jets need to end the pennington era once and for all.

Clearly we have no chance of winning, but I'm just interested in seeing if Chad's knee can hold up this year, or if last years big FA acquisition Thomas Jones can pick up his YPC average. Either way I could watch all 16 games just to marvel at a future HOF punter in Ben Grahm. Great piece of writing.

Who really gives a rats ass about that sad excuse for an article. I'm pretty sure it lost all credibility when it talked about Chads dodgy knee and how he's a media hunting 'jerk'. WTF?

I can understand people doubting us entering the season but at least give some good reasons FFS.

Don't these people remember that we almost beat the Patriots in the playoffs 2 years ago!?

I like this site, but this guy is overly critical of the Jets. I don't get why he bashes Chad and Mangini so much.

I did find those Brian Schottenheimer stats enlightening though, I saw them before, but seeing them again reminds me of how bad that game was.

How the hell could he say our defense is a bottom 10 in fantasy? Is he on crack?

By almost beat, do you mean the game you lost by 21 points?

Maybe his rating of your team has to do with the 1 rating he gave your QBs? Just saying.

Every year they say Arizona and Oakland will be great, and every year they suck. Trust me it's far better that they DON'T say we're going to be good, that way we actually have a chance of being good. They never call the teams that actually surprise anybody.

if anyone here is actually gonna take walterfootball.com seriously then youre a fool, this site is anything but credible. Even if it was a credible site who cares, the opinions of so called experts or hack websites such as walterfootball dont predetermine the results of the season so why should we get ourselves all worked up over some guy running a website outta the basement of his parents house.

2 years ago the Ravens were the 2nd seed, the Chiefs were in the playoffs, the Jaguars were 8-8, and the Dolphins were actually a formidable opponent to the Patriots.

Why does being good 2 years ago require respect?

Because the team we have now is much, much more talented than that team 2 years ago.

I don't care about our QB rating, just our defensive rating. That guy's a retard if he thinks we'll be a bottom ten defense. Try a top ten defense.

Weren't you calling me a big time homer the other day?

Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, Oakland, Dallas, Green Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, Tampa Bay and Seattle all have better defenses than the Jets.

I was being generous. Buffalo, New England, Cleveland, Philadelphia and the NY Giants could all make cases as a better D than the Jets as well.

Bottom 10 is probably inaccurate. Top 20 is more like it.

I don't care about our QB rating, just our defensive rating. That guy's a retard if he thinks we'll be a bottom ten defense. Try a top ten defense.

You were not even Top 10 two years ago. :confused: You were 12th in points and 22nd in yards. Last year, you were 22nd in both.

Maybe if you team cracks the Top 10 they will consider you a top 10 team.

You were not even Top 10 two years ago. :confused: You were 12th in points and 22nd in yards. Last year, you were 22nd in both.

Don't know where you're getting those numbers from.

Jets defense was 6th in points-against two years ago. It's the only reason we won 10 games, no matter how many people/journalists claim that Chad Pennington running an offense that got shut out twice in the same season "led" the team to the playoffs.

Last year their 3-4 defense included DRob at NT, Vilma at ILB for half a year, Victor Hobson & Bryan Thomas (who took the year off) at OLB, a rookie CB who missed almost the entire summer in a contract holdout, and still ended up 19th in points. A sucky ranking, but considering some key misfit/lousy personnel & how the offense couldn't stay on the field, I wouldn't call it a complete failure all season long. DRob has now been replaced with Jenkins; Hobson by Pace; Vilma by Harris; and (eventually) BThomas by Gholston. If Miller can play halfway to his draft day billing it'll also be an improvement.

None of that makes the Jets a top 10 defense in 2008 on its face. But I'd say there's a damn good chance at it. Certainly more likely than a bottom-10 ranking.

Jets defense was 6th in points-against two years ago. It's the only reason we won 10 games, no matter how many people/journalists claim that Chad Pennington running an offense that got shut out twice in the same season "led" the team to the playoffs.

Last year their 3-4 defense included DRob at NT, Vilma at ILB for half a year, Victor Hobson & Bryan Thomas (who took the year off) at OLB, a rookie CB who missed almost the entire summer in a contract holdout, and still ended up 19th in points. A sucky ranking, but considering some key misfit/lousy personnel & how the offense couldn't stay on the field, I wouldn't call it a complete failure all season long. DRob has now been replaced with Jenkins; Hobson by Pace; Vilma by Harris; and (eventually) BThomas by Gholston. If Miller can play halfway to his draft day billing it'll also be an improvement.

None of that makes the Jets a top 10 defense in 2008 on its face. But I'd say there's a damn good chance at it. Certainly more likely than a bottom-10 ranking.

In defense of the mook that wrote the article, it is a fantasy ranking. Doesn't it depend on how they score defenses? Points may be the most important factor in the real world, but this guy specifically states that the Jets are very low in sacks and turnovers, which is why he rates them so low. You can yip and yap all you want, but Pace is no sack machine and I can see not expecting too much from Gholston this year. It's his ranking, we don't have to agree with it. I have too many other problems with this piece to care about that bull**** projection.

In defense of the mook that wrote the article, it is a fantasy ranking. Doesn't it depend on how they score defenses? Points may be the most important factor in the real world, but this guy specifically states that the Jets are very low in sacks and turnovers, which is why he rates them so low. You can yip and yap all you want, but Pace is no sack machine and I can see not expecting too much from Gholston this year. It's his ranking, we don't have to agree with it. I have too many other problems with this piece to care about that bull**** projection.

I was replying to the Jets rankings in the 20's. If those were based on the fantasy football article then it doesn't matter & am not debating it.

Mea Culpa.

Pro Football reference added a few columns to their site. The 12th was some point differetial thing.

I think the Jets are more of a contender, for a playoff spot in the East then the Jills.

Yeah, but our defense is much improved from two years ago. Have you been paying attention to the Jets? They aren't the same team they were last year or two years ago. We added so many veterans on both sides of the ball. Believe me when I say this, our defense will be top ten.

Archived