JETS' BAKER SAYS HE'S 'READY TO GO'

SoFlaJets

DISGRUNTLED TIGHT END ANXIOUS TO PRACTICE

Posted: 6:31 pm

July 30, 2008

New York Jets tight end Chris Baker, unhappy with his contract and troubled by an injured back, said today he's ready to start practicing whenever he's cleared.

"I've told the strength coach that I feel great, I'm ready to go," Baker said today at training camp. "When they say, 'Okay, he's fully 100 percent, let's go,' then I'll go. Physically, I'm fine now and feel great."

Baker, who sat out part of last month's mincamp with the back problem, has said the Jets had promised to renegotiate his contract, which they have not done.

It was speculated Baker may have been put on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list on the eve of training camp as punishment for his contract stance and vocal displeasure in the media.

In an interview transcript released by the Jets today, Baker did not address his contract status, only his desire to return to the field.

"Like I said, I'm ready to go," Baker said. "Once I get back on the field I'll be fine. I'm not getting behind or anything, the offense is the same. I feel very comfortable with the offense. I've been in it for three years. I'm ready to go.

"I don't think I've ever missed a training camp practice. For me, it's a little bit different to be over here. At the same time, it has definitely helped me out building my body foundation for the rest of the season, being that I wasn't here in the offseason program. I feel good about it."

The Jets signed free agent veteran Bubba Franks and traded into the first round of the draft to select Dustin Keller, adding to their tight end position.

Baker said he doesn't have a problem with the competition for playing time.

"I'm very confident in myself and my abilities," the six-year veteran said. "I know when I get back that I'm going to be on the field.

"At the same time, it makes it good to have more depth at the position and to have guys that can do multiple things. It's just more problems for the defense if you have three guys that can be on the field at once. You can have another guy come in and it's a completely different look to the defense. It's a good situation."

Keller said he's making progress daily.

"Every single rep that I take in practice whether it's in team, seven-on-seven or just individual, I get critiqued by two really good veterans in the league that have been around for a long time," the Purdue product said. "They tell me what I am doing wrong and what I should be doing. I mean it's just great. I feel like I am getting a step up on everybody else."

would not be surprised if the Jets gave him some hush money to get this whole situation moved along.

I'd be ok with a couple of bucks now that he's gotten off his soap box. I just don't like caving in to players who try to strong-arm the team. Particularly players who have yet to have an above average season in a 6-year career.

He's not a special player, but he's still cheap enough & the Jets will be better overall with him on the roster than without in 2008.

Hope he stays. He is the dual threat in 2 TE sets that makes having Bubba and Keller in opposite him all the more dangerous. If it's just Bubba and Keller, you kind of know who is staying home. If it's Baker and Keller, both could potentially go out. If it's Bubba and Baker both could stay home and block.

But yeah no new contract.

That's what happens when you watch Dustin Keller. Baker now knows his position at starting TE is ****ed.:lol:

For sure Keller's great play is making Baker's back feel a lot better. Franks is also haveing a pretty good camp. I think what is really upseting Baker is watching this.

From Bolands Tuesday report

"* Tight end Jason Pociask has quietly had a good camp. I can

To be honest with you guys, Baker needs a new contract and he deserves it. I think he's kinda underrated in this league and can have a good season.

No way no how. He had no problem putting his hand out last year collecting a good portion of his salary for this year as an advance.

Hope he stays. He is the dual threat in 2 TE sets that makes having Bubba and Keller in opposite him all the more dangerous. If it's just Bubba and Keller, you kind of know who is staying home. If it's Baker and Keller, both could potentially go out. If it's Bubba and Baker both could stay home and block.

But yeah no new contract.

Nice post. :cheers:

We are definitely a much better team with Baker than without him. Like Sperm said, he isn't really a "special" player, but he will do for us exactly what you referenced above and that makes us significantly better IMHO.

This team is better without Baker and his attitude. I'm finished with him and hope the team releases him if not at the end of August then at the end of the season. Maybe they can find a trade partner for him, like a 6th round pick, but I doubt it. Nobody is going to give up draft picks for an average, at best, blocker and someone whose best season is 41 receptions for 400 yards.

To be honest with you guys, Baker needs a new contract and he deserves it. I think he's kinda underrated in this league and can have a good season.

How is he underrated exactly?

His blocking is incredibly overrated and although he has very good hands, he cannot get open consistently. I would like him to play in 08 because he would help the team, but he does not deserve a new contract. He hasn't earned it at all.

If he plays the role of good soldier and keeps his mouth shut, he's valuable as he is a good balanced TE who is a terrific blocker and good reciever, but has no burst or deep speed. Always room on a roster for a guy like that. If he's a cancer however, you dump him.

:wtf:

If he plays the role of good soldier and keeps his mouth shut, he's valuable as he is a good balanced TE who is a terrific blocker and good reciever, but has no burst or deep speed. Always room on a roster for a guy like that. If he's a cancer however, you dump him.

Wrong, Baker isn't even that good of a blocker, I'd call his blocking abilities mediocre. He also isn't even a a good enough receiver to be considered "Good." More like slightly above decent.

Archived