Brett Favre-Over the Hill?

BigOrangeJetFan

i just dont think favre will ever be asked to throw it even 40 times. They'll pass to set up the run and they rack up the rushing yards getting behind mangold and company.

this is just how i see it shaking out.

he has averaged 34 attempts/game in his career.

he has averaged 34 attempts/game in his career.

I know, but as players age you can't expect that much more from them. His average should decline as he gets older. Otherwise you'll end up having the brett favre that showed up against the Giants.

I know Jets fans don't want to see that version.

I agree Drago. I hope Brett does not try and do too much, because that's when things get ugly with him. I expect us to still run the football often behind the revamped line and still throw a lot of short passes where our WR's can get YAC. The last thing you want to see is Favre throwing it about all over the place.

I agree Drago. I hope Brett does not try and do too much, because that's when things get ugly with him. I expect us to still run the football often behind the revamped line and still throw a lot of short passes where our WR's can get YAC. The last thing you want to see is Favre throwing it about all over the place.

The last thing I want to see is Smizzy's rectum from an inch or two away.

Favre throwing it all over the place is considerably lower on the "last things I want to see" list.

The last thing I want to see is Smizzy's rectum from an inch or two away.

Favre throwing it all over the place is considerably lower on the "last things I want to see" list.

Why? For all we know, it might be breathtaking. A pretty rosebud, even. The Creator works in mysterious ways.:)

4100 yards last year.

Led the league in pass plays over 40 yards last year.

He has had the strongest arm in the NFL for a long time.

There is no evidence that his arm strength has diminished.

He was throwing passes 65 yards in the air last year. That is good enough.

Exactly.

What the geniuses don't get is, just like pitchers in baseball, the legs have a lot to do with the ability to throw the ball. Brett Favre is the Noland Ryan of football. He has never been seriously injured and he is physically a freak. Namath and Marino could not throw anymore because their legs were shot. Who in football now has a stronger arm than Favre? Maybe Cutler? Maybe. That's about it.

doesn't it crack you guys up how many of the "expert texperts" are so ready to call the Favre deal a bust since he went to the Jets instead of either staying in Green Bay or maybe going to Tampa? It must really piss them off so badly that they are forced to cover the New York Jets...

I will agree that Brett may be starting his downhill run to actual retirement. However looking at the Jets i believe his presence opens a broad attack plan because of his threat throwing. The Jets will be able to utilize a wider plan of attack. i would expect to see a substantial increase in yards gained by all forms of running.

Brett has never had an EGO problem, that's why he is a player's player. No current player is respected or liked more by NFl players. If anything, Brett is in shock having allowed this whole situation to get out of hand. What a shock it must have been watching his beloved Packers play on TV.

While we look back at history when it comes to the great ones, i really don't think they apply to Brett for the next couple of years based on his performance last year. Brett likes to play, just as i like to play Frisbee. i cant do many of my freestyle moves any longer yet i play when the chance comes.

The Packer organization did what Brett told them to do. Brett was not given nor should he have been given a third chance to change his mind. This is a business and if your top salesman says he is leaving and you come to him 30 days later saying "are you sure, well take you back" and you say no, then bring number two into the number one slot.

I believe Brett will bring much excitement to this organization and you will quickly take pride in is candor when it comes to player respect and overall excitement watching him play for the Jets.

Just my 2 cents

Exactly.

What the geniuses don't get is, just like pitchers in baseball, the legs have a lot to do with the ability to throw the ball. Brett Favre is the Noland Ryan of football. He has never been seriously injured and he is physically a freak. Namath and Marino could not throw anymore because their legs were shot. Who in football now has a stronger arm than Favre? Maybe Cutler? Maybe. That's about it.

I couldn't agree more.

As you enter your forties-which Favre isn't even doing yet-strength does not decline much. What limits a lot of men in their forties or older is arthritis from previous injuries, (often never properly treated by physical therapy), and falling way out of shape. Speed and reflexes do tend to decline somewhat, of course, but quarterback is not a super speed position.

Favre keeps himself in great shape and his arm and shoulder have not been seriously injured, as far as I know. So he should be able to throw the ball with nearly the same speed as he always has.

Grip strength seems to correlate with overall strength. Following is a chart put out by the government which lists average grip strength for various ages. Note how little strength declines through the years.

gripstrengthchart.jpgSource.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if Favre loses a little velocity, so what? He has always been able to easily throw the ball 80 yards or more, while the limit for the average QB is about 65. So he can even suffer a little decline and still be way ahead of the average quarterback.

I don't know about that quote.

I find it hard to believe that Johnson told 60 times in a playoff game against Jacksonville (which is what he is referring to I believe) just to satisfy Marino's ego.

Favre's arm is fine based on what we saw last year. His staminia, now that could be an issue since he probably did very little off season conditioning.

yea you're right Shawn that IS a ridiculous statement, I listened to that game (it wasn't frickin sold out down here can you believe that?) and Miami HAD to throw the ball-you don't run it down by 2 or more TDs

I will agree that Brett may be starting his downhill run to actual retirement. However looking at the Jets i believe his presence opens a broad attack plan because of his threat throwing. The Jets will be able to utilize a wider plan of attack. i would expect to see a substantial increase in yards gained by all forms of running.

Brett has never had an EGO problem, that's why he is a player's player. No current player is respected or liked more by NFl players. If anything, Brett is in shock having allowed this whole situation to get out of hand. What a shock it must have been watching his beloved Packers play on TV.

While we look back at history when it comes to the great ones, i really don't think they apply to Brett for the next couple of years based on his performance last year. Brett likes to play, just as i like to play Frisbee. i cant do many of my freestyle moves any longer yet i play when the chance comes.

The Packer organization did what Brett told them to do. Brett was not given nor should he have been given a third chance to change his mind. This is a business and if your top salesman says he is leaving and you come to him 30 days later saying "are you sure, well take you back" and you say no, then bring number two into the number one slot.

I believe Brett will bring much excitement to this organization and you will quickly take pride in is candor when it comes to player respect and overall excitement watching him play for the Jets.

Just my 2 cents

Good post...except for the freestyle frisbee stuff,that was really gay.

It should be an interesting season, full of a lot of, as yet, unanswered questions. Can Favre master a new offense? Does he REALLY have anything left? Etc. I believe that the trade was made based on the fact that the FO believed Favre was better than any we had on our roster. I would agree. I think just having Favre in the lineup will pick up the play of everybody else.

Exactly.

Kyle Boller, Mike Vick, Jay Cutler and maybe even some rookies like Flacco have stronger arms than him at this point. Doesn't mean brett's isn't still strong, i just think they give him too much credit for pure arm strength. Sure he can get a few passes in that most can't but most guys that have really strong arms seemingly don't know that game well enough to know when to force it (although favre's career interceptions might imply he doesn't even know when to not force it).

Archived