Fred Smerlas: The Jets are Frauds

Kentucky Jet

Smerlas: Jets are 'frauds'

September 13, 2008 1:16 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

I had the pleasure of speaking to Fred Smerlas on Friday afternoon. Let me correct that. I had the pleasure of listening to him.

Smerlas, a five-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, is a riveting gabber. We covered a bunch of topics, among them his AFC East predicitions now that Tom Brady has thrown his last pass of 2008.

Perhaps not surprisingly, he sees the division coming down to the Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots, a pair of teams he played for. He also takes exception to much of the media anointing the New York Jets the new team to beat.

"The Jets are frauds," Smerlas said from his office in Marlboro, Mass. "They barely beat Miami, a team that absolutely sucks. I've watched tape of [the Dolphins], and they're in trouble. The Jets had a hard time with them.

"Brett Favre is going off the cuff in the huddle. Favre, that pass he threw [a 22-yard desperation lob to Chansi Stuckey] was a punt. It turned into a touchdown, and they win by six points."

Compared to Favre, Smerlas said Bills QB Trent Edwards "is a much more structured player. [Marshawn] Lynch is a good running back. Their O-line is good. Their defense is better. Buffalo is balanced on offense, defense, special teams."

But Smerlas isn't about to give up on the Patriots either.

"So who's going to be there? The Patriots and the Bills will be there in the end."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smerlas: Jets are 'frauds'

September 13, 2008 1:16 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

I had the pleasure of speaking to Fred Smerlas on Friday afternoon. Let me correct that. I had the pleasure of listening to him.

Smerlas, a five-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, is a riveting gabber. We covered a bunch of topics, among them his AFC East predicitions now that Tom Brady has thrown his last pass of 2008.

Perhaps not surprisingly, he sees the division coming down to the Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots, a pair of teams he played for. He also takes exception to much of the media anointing the New York Jets the new team to beat.

"The Jets are frauds," Smerlas said from his office in Marlboro, Mass. "They barely beat Miami, a team that absolutely sucks. I've watched tape of [the Dolphins], and they're in trouble. The Jets had a hard time with them.

"Brett Favre is going off the cuff in the huddle. Favre, that pass he threw [a 22-yard desperation lob to Chansi Stuckey] was a punt. It turned into a touchdown, and they win by six points."

Compared to Favre, Smerlas said Bills QB Trent Edwards "is a much more structured player. [Marshawn] Lynch is a good running back. Their O-line is good. Their defense is better. Buffalo is balanced on offense, defense, special teams."

But Smerlas isn't about to give up on the Patriots either.

"So who's going to be there? The Patriots and the Bills will be there in the end."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the Bills are killing the Jags today... I think they are for real..

"They barely beat Miami, a team that absolutely sucks. I've watched tape of [the Dolphins], and they're in trouble. The Jets had a hard time with them."

Bullsh!t.

The Jets dominated the fish. Only the ultraconservative, play not to lose coaching at the end almost cost them the game. Let's hope that was a lesson learned, and not what we can expect to see more of in the future.

old

Lets be honest though...

He could be right...

If the Pats handle us like they usually do....

And the Bills hold on to defeat a great Jags team...

A great Jags team? Yo it's 2008 remember ? They have lost most of their O line, keep up. As for Smerlas, I'm with Blackout. He's nothing more than a drunken, sausage eating, former Bills Polock. What's he suppose to say? The Bills haven't made the playoffs this century.

Archived