Enough of the Thomas Jones experiment!!

PETROCK

Last year I thought he couldn't run the ball because he had a bad O line that didn't make any holes for him, but this guy clearly can't see the holes that are made for him. Leon Washington is the man who should be the the every down back. He's proven he can make great cuts and he can find holes in the D.

We need a hard rushing back who will go in, ignore the defenders and just plow his way in for the first down. The kind of guy that likes physical contact would be the perfect compliment to an east-west runner like Leon. TJ can't fill this spot, as seen from yesterday's game where he ran out of bounds instead of knocking his way forward for the first down.

Although it hurts to say it, I could see the type of player like Lamont Jordan being very good in these types of plays. To say the least, Thomas Jones is not the type of back you want in on goal line downs.

We need a hard rushing back who will go in, ignore the defenders and just plow his way in for the first down. The kind of guy that likes physical contact would be the perfect compliment to an east-west runner like Leon. TJ can't fill this spot, as seen from yesterday's game where he ran out of bounds instead of knocking his way forward for the first down.

Although it hurts to say it, I could see the type of player like Lamont Jordan being very good in these types of plays. To say the least, Thomas Jones is not the type of back you want in on goal line downs.

LW isn't east-west. Have you watched him run inside? I know it's rarely happened, but the handful of times I've seen it I've thought he ran really well inside. I'd RATHER run him right behind Faneca and Mangold personally.

TJ can't fill this spot, as seen from yesterday's game where he ran out of bounds instead of knocking his way forward for the first down.
When I saw him running out of bounds instead of plowing ahead to at least try to get the 1st down, all I could do is shake my head in amazement.

LW isn't east-west. Have you watched him run inside? I know it's rarely happened, but the handful of times I've seen it I've thought he ran really well inside. I'd RATHER run him right behind Faneca and Mangold personally.

I would too. I think he's a great running back inside too, he can get to those holes by Faneca that TJ takes too long to see. The only problem is he is rather small for a RB and seems to like to take it more east-west. He can do fine as a north-south type guy, but from all I've seen of him he's a natural east-west. If he can get coached for more of the inside plays he'd do it fine but I don't know how long he'd last, we'd still need another back to relieve him.

Leon Washington wont last a season being the workhorse week in and week out, he is just not built for the pounding that position takes. To bad Cedric houston quit on the jets he looked like he was going to be a pretty good backup. Chatman is going to help offense alot when he comes back

Leon has been injury free in his career, soo I guess they should give him a chance to touch the ball more, but thats been the history of the jets always misusing what they got. Ill give u an example of somebody im sure U know who he is. #27 the dominator carter could of been an all pro SS but the jets played him at CB out of position ended up going to the raiders. Now they trade to get Dustin Keller and they have him playing the bench, they are not using his strengths creating mismatches with LB's. Bubba Franks is getting more playing time then Keller come on now.

I'm interested in yards, not breaking tackles. There was one play where Leon made about 10 amazing moves and turned a 2 yard loss into a 5 yard loss.

And he can take a typical 2 yard gain and make it into 10+, it works both ways.

However Leon can learn to take his losses when he's behind the LOS, instead of digging a deeper hole. But we cant teach Jones how to move like Leon.

Leon's just better, and he should be starting.

I think Thomas Jones can play much better but I also think Leon is not a full-time starter. I think he's better than any complementary back you can possibly ask for, we need in the upcoming off-season draft someone who can break tackles (Brandon Jacons, Marion Barber, etc...) and then bring in Leon Washington.

On the otherhand, it was terrible play-calling throughout the game. We looked great in the 1st drive, Favre was throwing well and Jones was running well but we stopped balancing the ball evenly. I think we'll be fine.

And he can take a typical 2 yard gain and make it into 10+, it works both ways.

However Leon can learn to take his losses when he's behind the LOS, instead of digging a deeper hole. But we cant teach Jones how to move like Leon.

Leon's just better, and he should be starting.

Bingo

Lets not kid ourselves, aside from the Goalline stand by the Patriots Jones has ran well in the first two games. You take away those three carries for zero yards and you're left with 14 carries for 70 yards yesterday after a 100+ yard and 1 TD performance Week 1. Its not his fault entirely if the line can't get a decent push and that the play calling is god awful that it would allow him to run the ball three straight times down there.

Lets not kid ourselves, aside from the Goalline stand by the Patriots Jones has ran well in the first two games. You take away those three carries for zero yards and you're left with 14 carries for 70 yards yesterday after a 100+ yard and 1 TD performance Week 1. Its not his fault entirely if the line can't get a decent push and that the play calling is god awful that it would allow him to run the ball three straight times down there.

You don't know ****! Any competent front office would have traded up for McFadden, started Leon, run Tony Richardson at the goal and be ready to draft Beanie Wells in 2009.

You don't know ****! Any competent front office would have traded up for McFadden, started Leon, run Tony Richardson at the goal and be ready to draft Beanie Wells in 2009.

:rl:

Oh man, Darren McFadden and his 100 yd performance against the Chiefs has me drooling. They should really start making up his bust now. Could you imagine us with Wells, McFadden & Favre in 2009? Oh man. Championship!

:rl:

I think Thomas Jones can play much better but I also think Leon is not a full-time starter. I think he's better than any complementary back you can possibly ask for, we need in the upcoming off-season draft someone who can break tackles (Brandon Jacons, Marion Barber, etc...) and then bring in Leon Washington.

On the otherhand, it was terrible play-calling throughout the game. We looked great in the 1st drive, Favre was throwing well and Jones was running well but we stopped balancing the ball evenly. I think we'll be fine.

You know, I can live with Washington getting 10-12 touches a game. As it is, he doesn't get that many, and that's the major problem I have.

If he's that fragile, Washington really should not be handing kick returns. He is taking more punishment on those than just running the ball would.

Also if Darren Sproles starts getting more touches than Leon, then I don't want to hear this excuse anymore, as Sproles is puny.

You know, I can live with Washington getting 10-12 touches a game. As it is, he doesn't get that many, and that's the major problem I have.

This is a very valid complaint. This coaching staff should be trying to get the ball in the hands of guys like Leon and Keller. I'm no Thomas Jones fan, but he's a legitimate starting RB. That doesn't mean that you can squander a talent like Leon that can take it in from anywhere on the field.

If he's that fragile, Washington really should not be handing kick returns. He is taking more punishment on those than just running the ball would.

Also if Darren Sproles starts getting more touches than Leon, then I don't want to hear this excuse anymore, as Sproles is puny.

I genuinely couldn

Leon needs to be our Kevin Faulk, no more, no less

He is not an every down guy

I know Leon gets some yards between the tackles at times, but he is also thrown for losses more than he should be. I like Leon on draws, screens, and taking it wide. Also split him out. We need a real tough guy at RB, not a poser.

This thread is utterly ridiculous. TJ had over 100 yards the 1st game. and 70 the next. Hes been rushing way better than last year...YOU PEOPLE WILL NEVER BE SATISFIED. GO BE A DOLPHIN FAN SO YOUR COMPLAINTS MAKE SENSE..

Mr. Pom-Poms. Why have a board if it is just to cheer all the time? I'm moving to Russia.

At least Thomas Jones is equipped to take on a blocker, something Washington doesn't have a clue.

The fact that he was left in to pick up a blitzing linebacker, and Washington took him on up high, was comedy and tragedy at the same time. Adelius, with that sack took the Jets out, and Washington should not have been in there.

Terrible personnel management there

As fans, when a team loses a game like Sunday's we want to isolate blame, and pick out a player or a coach to pin it on.

In this case it's Mangini and Jones. I have to disagree.

Both coaches played a very conservative game plan. The difference was players like Welker were taking 3-4 yard passes, and Turing them into 10-15 yard gains. Leon who can also do that, didn't get enough touches. I'm not a big Jones fan, but I can't blame the game on him, or Mangini

The 3 runs into the same hole at the goal line made me cringe, but at that point of the game the Jets OL was blocking very well. They ran at their best OL, Faneca, he didn't make the blocks at the wrong time.

If you want to point fingers, it's at the kicking game. The missed 32 yard field goal was monster in a conservative, hard fought game like this. The punts were awful. Put the Jets in a field position hole all game. This IMO, is the real reason they lost.. Favre's pick was a very bad decision. Led to a Pats TD.

The Jets didn't play badly, the Pats just played a more conservative, better executed game, and won. That doesn't mean they will win next time. Hopefully Favre will get more in touch with his receivers, and get timing down. Coles just doesn't drop balls like that. He hasn't played all of camp. Hopefully he will shake the rust off. They need to find a new punter. Leon needs to touch the ball more. Not be the starter, but 10-12 times a game..

All in all the Jets didn't play badly, the Pats executed better. It's not the end of the world, they just need to come together.

Monday would be a very good time to start.

This thread is utterly ridiculous. TJ had over 100 yards the 1st game. and 70 the next. Hes been rushing way better than last year...YOU PEOPLE WILL NEVER BE SATISFIED. GO BE A DOLPHIN FAN SO YOUR COMPLAINTS MAKE SENSE..

He had over 100 yards agains one of the worst teams in the league!!!!! Jones trips over his own feet, he can't find the holes and he can't cut!

You're just one of those fans who's just as happy with a 1-15 season as you are with a 12-4 season. Why don't you be a Dolfags fan. You're problem is you like every move the Jets have ever made!! You're the biggest homer on this board. I guess you love Nugent too huh????:rl:

Leon Washington wont last a season being the workhorse week in and week out, he is just not built for the pounding that position takes. To bad Cedric houston quit on the jets he looked like he was going to be a pretty good backup. Chatman is going to help offense alot when he comes back

I know! Warrick Dunn was in the league for what? A half a season before he broke down right?

There is just no place in the NFL for a guy like Leon.

Archived