Sources: Yankees to trade Melky Cabrera to Milwuakee for Mike Cameron

TaborJet

I went ot nydailynews.com and I didn't see anything.

Sources: Yankees to trade Melky Cabrera to Brewers for Mike Cameron

BY MARK FEINSAND

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, December 11th 2008, 4:50 AM

alg_cameron.jpg

Conroy/AP According to two major league sources, Mike Cameron is on his way to the Bronx.

amd_cameron-strikeout.jpg

Simmons/News It'll be Cameron's second tour of duty in New York, having played for the Mets in 2004 and 2005.

amd_melky.jpg

Sipkin/News Melky Cabrera, meanwhile, appears bound for Milwaukee.

The Yankees have found their center fielder for 2009, as they are set to send Melky Cabrera to Milwaukee for veteran outfielder Mike Cameron on Thursday, according to two major league sources.

The Yankees have been saying that Cabrera and Brett Gardner would compete for the center field job, but the acquisition of Cameron gives them a veteran presence at the position.

Many believed Cabrera would be the center fielder of the future entering the 2008 campaign, but a disappointing season, in which he hit .249 with eight homeruns and 37 RBIs in 129 games, led many to believe he was destined for a future as a utility outfielder. Yankees blue-chip prospect Austin Jackson is not expected to be ready for big league action until at least 2010, making Cameron the ideal one-year stopgap in center field.

That's a nice trade. Wonder if Yanks asked for a lesser prospect as well.

I know lots of Yank fans swore Melky was going to be better than he has shown. JI forum regularly said he was developing power but the truth is he has gone backwards since August of 2007.

That JI thread started when he hit his first 8 home runs last year in the first month of the season. After that the thread turned into a joke.

I'm not in favor of this trade. Not so much in giving up Melky...it's getting Cameron. He'll be 36 years old by the time the season starts and he's a .250 career hitter. Not the type of center fielder I envisioned patrolling where some of the Yankee greats have played...hell, bring back Bernie if this is the best we can do.

Maybe this is just a stop gap type of thing in preparation for an early appearance of Austin Jackson.

I'm not in favor of this trade. Not so much in giving up Melky...it's getting Cameron. He'll be 36 years old by the time the season starts and he's a .250 career hitter. Not the type of center fielder I envisioned patrolling where some of the Yankee greats have played...hell, bring back Bernie if this is the best we can do.

Maybe this is just a stop gap type of thing in preparation for an early appearance of Austin Jackson.

This isn't about getting an offensive CF at all. They would give the job to the kid Gardner but he might hit .200. This is a good move because they have Cameron who is a proven quantity.

He typically hits .250 with 25 home runs. That is fine. The strike outs are going to be a killer though so he will be at the bottom of the order no doubt. He can also steal 20 bases which is a good thing.

Otherwise Mike -- just go catch some fly balls. And hope Manny isn't next to you in the outfield. :)

Great move.

It is better to have a proven player than a guy who had hope but in three years never ended up being the player we had all hoped he'd become. He had his worst year last year, having less than 40 RBI and 10 HR in 130 games is pathetic for Melky. Pathetic.

I welcome Cameron with open arms. I'm happier about this move than I am the potential signing of AJ Injury-4.00+ ERA-Brunett.

This isn't about getting an offensive CF at all. They would give the job to the kid Gardner but he might hit .200. This is a good move because they have Cameron who is a proven quantity.

He typically hits .250 with 25 home runs. That is fine. The strike outs are going to be a killer though so he will be at the bottom of the order no doubt. He can also steal 20 bases which is a good thing.

Otherwise Mike -- just go catch some fly balls. And hope Manny isn't next to you in the outfield. :)

I do not know. Your offense regressed last year from 2007. At best this is a push with a little more power.

No way Cameron is a push from the production they got out of the CF position last year.

I may have been a tad over stating it.

You know what you are getting from Cameron. A guy who is a mediocre hitter with decent power and Ks a lot. That was accomplished in a largely mediocre NL. What is he going to do in the AL?

Melky had a horrible year last year. Maybe the league figured him out or maybe he goes back to the .280s hitter or more.

I do not think you are going to get that much more out of a guy that will be 36 in a few weeks.

Not so fast

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8927094/

Source:-Cameron-to-Yanks-trade-hits-roadblock

Cameron trade is not done and may not get done.

The Yankees will need to have a change of heart for it to happen, one source familiar with the discussion said.

The Brewers are asking for a second player in addition to Melky Cabrera. The Yankees want the Brewers to pay a portion of Cameron's $10 million salary.

Milwaukee is not inclined to fulfill that request at a time when the Yankees are on the verge of paying over $200 million for pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett.

New York Postfirst reported that possibility of a Cameron-Cabrera swap on Nov. 6 from the GM Meetings and reported Thursday that the deal was "close."

Cameron could make the transition to New York easier for CC Sabathia — who the Yankees reached an agreement with Wednesday. Cameron played with the Mets from 2004-2005, so he knows the city. He quickly became Sabathia's pal in Milwaukeeafter the Brewers obtained him last July from the Indians.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel believes the hurdle has been cleared in the proposed Mike Cameron-for-Melky Cabrera deal.

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin just said there was "a strong possibility it could still happen." The financial issues have apparently been taken care of. The matter at hand now is the second player coming over from the Yankees. Perhaps it will be one of the relievers passed over in the Rule 5 draft, like Kevin Whelan or J. Brent Cox. Dec. 11 - 5:50 pm et

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Perhaps it will be one of the relievers passed over in the Rule 5 draft, like Kevin Whelan or J. Brent Cox. Dec. 11 - 5:50 pm et

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

That's stupid. If the brew crew wanted those guys, they'd have Rule V'd them.

Archived