It's officall- schottenheimer staying

Jetkid94

I just saw it too, on the ticker.

I think it was a good move, at times last year our team was able to put up 40+ points,and I believe old man Favre held our offense back, along with Mangini.

Hopefully that is the case and Rex lets Schotty Jr. do his thing, without a QB who throws 3+ INT's a game.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Jets | Schottenheimer likely to return

Fri, 23 Jan 2009 04:33:41 -0800

Erik Boland, of The New York Newsday, reports it appears Brian Schottenheimer will remain with the New York Jets as their offensive coordinator. The team has yet to make an official announcement. Owner Woody Johnson said Schottenheimer is [highlight]excited[/highlight] to be with the Jets and they are [highlight]excited[/highlight] to have him.

I am glad everyone is excited.

Now stop passing on 3rd and short to spite your face.

What a bunch of B.S.

Hope I look silly at a later date but I will go on record now and say that I am NOT happy about this.

I hear ya,,but who did u want?

a new O playbook to go along with a new playbook as it is on D?

This move IMHO gives a fightin playoff chance in 2009..little less upheaval

meh...

Im torn... I hope Mangini held him back but all signs point to no... the most telling sign was Favre flat out saying Mangini didnt mess with the offense...

Then I think Maybe it was Favre's fault... Leon was the leading rusher in 06... so Shotty has used him before and maybe just really likes TJ...

I dont know... not using Leon and consistantly calling plays that we call can guess... (especially the DBs) just makes me wonder...

I hear ya,,but who did u want?

a new O playbook to go along with a new playbook as it is on D?

This move IMHO gives a fightin playoff chance in 2009..little less upheaval

That is the only saving grace for me.

I just feel Schottenheimer is incompetent. I can't tell you specific QB coaches from other teams that I'd want and etc. because nobody knows how good any of those coaches are except other coaches within their circles. I just prefer to have an OC that I don't think is incompetent.

I am OK with a 1 year run to see if Rex is cool with it...less upheaval on team..

I think Schott will parlay a 11/12 win season next year to get a HC gig in 2010

What we will find out is if the problem offense was really Schotty or Mangini....We already know who the problem was on defense.......

meh...

Im torn... I hope Mangini held him back but all signs point to no... the most telling sign was Favre flat out saying Mangini didnt mess with the offense...

Then I think Maybe it was Favre's fault... Leon was the leading rusher in 06... so Shotty has used him before and maybe just really likes TJ...

I dont know... not using Leon and consistantly calling plays that we call can guess... (especially the DBs) just makes me wonder...

This is my major problem with him as well. There were too many times that Brett literally said, that Mangini had no clue what play was being run. Nor did he even really know the play book.

I personally think Schotty Jr. suck donkey balls.

The only reason it makes sense is continuity.

That is the only saving grace for me.

I just feel Schottenheimer is incompetent. I can't tell you specific QB coaches from other teams that I'd want and etc. because nobody knows how good any of those coaches are except other coaches within their circles. I just prefer to have an OC that I don't think is incompetent.

Since Mangini was canned I've been arguing in favor of retaining Schotty in a "deal with the devil" sense.

I'd normally would want to get rid of Schotty for the reasons you stated here or elsewhere, but no other new OC would provide the best situation for the 3 young QBs to develop or Favre to return.

If the Jets had a Jay Cutler, McNabb, Palmer, etc. (second tier QB) on the roster I wouldn't care who the OC was, but they don't. As such, the Jets need the best working enviornment for Clemens/Ratliff/Ainge and Favre with they all being another year under the system and knowing the playbook provides such.

So I'd take Schotty and his issues in exchange for Clemes/Ratliff/Ainge having the opportunity to make the leap. I don't think any of them could with a new OC.

I personally think Schotty Jr. suck donkey balls. - As do I

The only reason it makes sense is continuity. - As do I

Took the words out of my mouth. However, is that really a good reason to keep him? Atlanta had a new OC, DC, Head Coach, and rookie QB this year. Lots of teams turn over their OC and improve from one year to the next. To keep someone who has proven himself to be MEDIOCRE AT BEST just for the sake of continuity does not seem like a sound strategy to me.

So I'd take Schotty and his issues in exchange for Clemes/Ratliff/Ainge having the opportunity to make the leap. I don't think any of them could with a new OC.

And I don't think any of them can with Schotty.

Just check his track record with QBs. Chad is very consistent and safe without him - turns into an interception machine with him - goes back to being consistent and safe without him.

Favre throws a ton of INTs historically, but his ratio of TD-INT is always well over 1:1 and he is coming off a MVP caliber year without him - comes to Schotty and puts up the worst TD-INT ratio of his career since his pre-Green Bay days.

I think the young QBs are better off starting from scratch and learning under a competent, smart OC rather than learning under an OC with a track record of producing poor QB numbers simply because they know his system already. The system sucks. It is better off, in my opinion, to learn a new one then stick with a proven crappy one.

+1

I hate this move and it's a near certainty that Tanny stuffed him down Rex's face

i dont think so..

I think rex knows continuity is good and he know she will tell schotty to emphasize ball control, clock killin run offense,,take his creatiuvity away form him,,power football

And I don't think any of them can with Schotty.

Just check his track record with QBs. Chad is very consistent and safe without him - turns into an interception machine with him - goes back to being consistent and safe without him.

Favre throw a ton of INTs historically, but his ratio of TD-INT is always well over 1:1 and he is coming off a MVP caliber year without him - comes to Schotty and puts up the worst TD-INT ratio of his career since his pre-Green Bay days.

I think the young QBs are better off starting from scratch and learning under a competent, smart OC rather than learning under an OC with a track record of producing poor QB numbers simply because they know his system already. The system sucks. It is better off, in my opinion, to learn a new one then stick with a proven crappy one.

Exactly. That's what's so amusing. People want to blame Favre but every QB has been around 1-1 with Schotty. Chad was on pace for 20/20 in 07 and threw 17/16 in 06. Anecdotally, it just doesn't appear to me that he runs complimentary routes that get people open for "easy" 10-15 year competitions..

i dont think so..

I think rex knows continuity is good and he know she will tell schotty to emphasize ball control, clock killin run offense,,take his creatiuvity away form him,,power football

I don't think so. I was reported before Rex had the gig that Schotty had the job if he wanted it.

I'm not saying Rex was dead set against it, but I think it had to have been suggested to him. When you've been in the league as long as Rex has, you have your "guys"

Exactly. That's what's so amusing. People want to blame Favre but every QB has been around 1-1 with Schotty. Chad was on pace for 20/20 in 07 and threw 17/16 in 06. Anecdotally, it just doesn't appear to me that he runs complimentary routes that get people open for "easy" 10-15 year competitions..

I wrote a very long post about just that earlier this year. His offense is so cookie-cutter it is insane.

We run like 4 different routes and none of them compliment each other at all.

I wrote a very long post about just that earlier this year. His offense is so cookie-cutter it is insane.

We run like 4 different routes and none of them compliment each other at all.

I remember it. I think I called it Madden-esque, but it was spot on..

I don't think so. I was reported before Rex had the gig that Schotty had the job if he wanted it.

I'm not saying Rex was dead set against it, but I think it had to have been suggested to him. When you've been in the league as long as Rex has, you have your "guys"

nah..he knows he can tell anyone to run a controlled vanilla O,,this way no new O playbook ..

one new playbook at atime,,if it doesnt work out, he will can him after the season

This is my major problem with him as well. There were too many times that Brett literally said, that Mangini had no clue what play was being run. Nor did he even really know the play book.

I personally think Schotty Jr. suck donkey balls.

The only reason it makes sense is continuity.

There definately is a contradiction there (Favre's words and reports of Mangini handcuffing Schotty and micromanaging).

What I think happened is that there is a stage in the process which Favre was not involved in.

It has been reported that on Tuesday the coaches would meet without the players and there the game plan was decided upon. The reports indicate that Mangini was a tyrant who dictated the game plan to each coach. So Schotty got his marching orders from Mangini and then Schotty met with Favre on Wednesday. Favre was not involved with the Tuesday meetings so, of course, Favre would think Mangini wasn't involved.

So Tuesday could have been something like this:

Mangini: "Tell me what you've come up with, Brian."

Schotty: "I think we could do D, E, F, G, and H."

Mangini: "I only want you to do F and H."

Schotty: "Uhm, okay."

I remember it. I think I called it Madden-esque, but it was spot on..

For the masses:

Schottenheimer is worse than Paul Hackett. Yes, I said it. Let me tell you why:

While Hackett’s system was conservative and sucked, it was at least a system!!! There is no rhythm to our offense. If you watch any of the good offensive teams in this league; Philly, New Orleans, Denver, Dallas, etc. You will see smooth, complimentary routes being run.

Owens runs a Drag Route underneath the LBs, Witten runs a medium In Route behind the LBs, Crayton runs a deep Go or Post Route.

See how they compliment one another? The LBs now have Owens running beneath them. Cheat in too much and you have Witten running an In route behind them. Stay back too far and you have Owens on the drag and he is damn good at YAC once the ball is in his hands. Crayton running a deep Go or Post route stretches the field and keeps the safeties back pedaling and away from the other 2 receivers thus leaving the LBs in no man's land covering two weapons and forced to "lean" toward one of them.

Something like this has NOTHING to do with Favre not being familiar with our playbook or terminology. This is straight up, offensive football 101. Schotty comes from the Steve Spurrier school of offense. We've all seen how Spurrier's offense worked at the Pro Level. LIKE SH*T!!! This is simple football that makes the game easy for the QB. He has 3 complimentary routes being run and he doesn't even have to choose where to go with the ball .... the defense determines it for him.

Schotty must go. Period. It is like we have 3 routes in our entire playbook. A Curl, a Comeback, and a deep route we rarely attempt because there is no intermediate routes keeping the safeties unsure of where to commit to.

Simply terrible. Seriously.

I followed that up with this when people pushed back on me saying that Hackett was better than Schotty:

Schotty's offense has zero "system" to it. Nothing we do builds off of something else we did earlier or sets up something we'll do later. Again, you can argue that Hackett's system was boring, low risk, slow, etc, and you'll get no argument or disagreement from me. But here is just one crappy example of what I'm talking about:

What was Hackett's number one play call that he would use upwards of 5+ times per game? Pennington would fake a run offtackle to Martin and then roll the opposite way and hit Jerald Sowell (Richie Anderson before him) in the flat for a 5-8 yard gain. The play was simple, everyone in the stadium including the opposing defense knew we would run it 5-6 times per game, yet it worked like a charm each and every time.

Now that play in itself is not the system. We would power run Martin off right tackle behind Kareem McKenzie (a punishing run blocker) while following a pulling Kevin Mawae (best in the business at the time). Teams knew we would run that 5-6 times per game as well and Cumar would pick up 4+ yards per clip. These two plays fed off each other so well and created one tiny piece of a system. If the weakside LBs overpursued too much thinking run and it was playaction to Sowell to where they vacated it was 8 yards. Next time we run it they are afraid to overpusue so they stay home and that creates a cutback lane for our running game.

Simple right? Does Schotty do any of this?

Shotty is a good OC, he just needs to learn how to use Leon Washington more. The fact is we were top 5 in scoring last season, so scoring wasnt a problem. The continuity will be beneficial too. If old man Favre decides to come back, he wont have to learn a new offense. Im more excited to see what the new defense is gonna look like and who is gonna emerge!

For the masses:

I followed that up with this when people pushed back on me saying that Hackett was better than Schotty:

not bad.......but now you have to gp through all the schotty's plays and do alittel research into whether or not they truly are poorly designed and/or misused. cause i don't have a copy of his playbook, and i certainly don't know what routes were being run play by play by each receiver during last years games.

JMJ, I don't disagree with you on anything you've written.

I believe our enterprise should have a new name: SHC. I am Chairman Emeritus and you, my long-time collegue, are the new Chief Executive Officer.

Kindly change your Custom User Title. Thank you.

Not thrilled with this but,

- it does give some continuity

- some of the offensive craziness may have been the fault of Favre and/or Mangini

- he is still young and learning

- Mr. T and Ryan can begin strategizing with input from both sides of the ball without

now searching for an OC

- who else is there? The QB coach of the Ravens? What do we know about him?

JMJ, I don't disagree with you on anything you've written.

I believe our enterprise should have a new name: SHC. I am Chairman Emeritus and you, my long-time collegue, are the new Chief Executive Officer.

Kindly change your Custom User Title. Thank you.

But wait. Don't you support him keeping his job?

But wait. Don't you support him keeping his job?

That's why I'm turning the family business over to you and, thus, have taken the emeritus title.

There is no one more qualified than you to be in charge of the enterprise.

Consider this Michael taking the Corleone family into the drug business and me, Vito, being against it, but since I'm retired, deferring to your judgment.

Archived