FA QB's 09

lancemehl

Sorry if I'm late on this, I'm ****

We got the guy in the deer stand, Clemens(oh God, that is terrifying), we have the guy who will be know in 10 years as "The Rat",(on some team) and then one of these guys:

Kurt Warner, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

4,583 passing

30 touchdowns

14 interceptions

96.9 rating

(36)Kerry Collins, UFA, Tennessee Titans

went 13-3 with Titans. So did Brett in 07.

Looked worse than the Giants Collins.

(38)Jeff Garcia, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

12 games

over 2,700 yards

12 touchdowns

six interceptions

(i dont know, young relatively)Rex Grossman, UFA, Chicago Bears

went to Super Bowl in

Warner: Arizona, Kansas City or retirement

Collins: Tennessee or retirement

If you bring in Jeff Garcia, you eliminate any QB controversy as he would be named the clear cut starter the second he signed on the dotted line.

Leftwich / Carr / Batch / Boller / O'Sullivan would give you the flexibility to have a 3 or 4 man QB competition and if either of those two don't win you can keep him (since you won't sign both obviously) as the back-up for a fairly low price, an experienced guy. If they win, then you have an experienced player QB'ing the team for at least a season.

let the 3 amigos fight it out in camp

I think ryan is going to run it anyway, so we really just need a guy who can run a steelers style offense

hand off

hand off

hand off

PA bomb

So we're going to bomb it on 4th down? Uh-ohz.

Bring back Mangini! ;)

With this team? Have you seen our roster? It's designed for NOW, not the future.

with the exception of brett favre, please tell me, oh baseball professional. hey, now that i'm working for scout.com, send me your baseball resume. i'll put you on the site. maybe you can get recruited by some teams. :rolleyes:

with the exception of brett favre, please tell me, oh baseball professional. hey, now that i'm working for scout.com, send me your baseball resume. i'll put you on the site. maybe you can get recruited by some teams. :rolleyes:

So with this reaction, it just proves you have no other argument. If you want to go right to that, it just ruins any argument you had. Any chance you want to argue on the merits? Didn't think so.

Let's see.

Our starting RB is 30+

Our LG which we signed to big cash is older

We spent 42M on a LB from Arizona

We traded a 3rd and a 5th for an older NT (and gave him huge coin)

etc etc

The team, and the money spent, just screams, "Win now."

Leftwich / Carr / Batch / Boller / O'Sullivan would give you the flexibility to have a 3 or 4 man QB competition and if either of those two don't win you can keep him (since you won't sign both obviously) as the back-up for a fairly low price, an experienced guy. If they win, then you have an experienced player QB'ing the team for at least a season.

Batch is already 34, and everything about Leftwich is slow. I'd throw Losman and Grossman into the mix, though, and expect one of them to be tapped by the Jets for the scenario you describe.

Batch is already 34, and everything about Leftwich is slow. I'd throw Losman and Grossman into the mix, though, and expect one of them to be tapped by the Jets for the scenario you describe.

Sexy Rexy would be nice, but after what I saw from Losman in December at the Meadowlands I say no thank you.

So with this reaction, it just proves you have no other argument. If you want to go right to that, it just ruins any argument you had. Any chance you want to argue on the merits? Didn't think so.

Let's see.

Our starting RB is 30+

etc etc

uh, you listed 4 players who aren't even that old. i agree about faneca, BUT....

jones still has at least 4 years left in him due to not playing a lot in his early career. washington is great.

pace is only 28.

jenkins is only 29.

go play in traffic. jets need to build for the future.

Let's see.

Our starting RB is 30+

etc etc

-Jones has probably 2 years left before he really starts to fall off and we need to replace him fairly soon regardless of whether we get a stop gap QB or not.

-Pace is not old

-Jenkins still isn't 30 and, while I think he'll wear down faster since NT is such a tough position, its not like he's on his last legs. Plus, again, we need a competent player behind him anyway since regardless of how old he is, if he's nicked up or fatigued our defense falls off a cliff.

-Faneca is the only old declining player you mentioned.

The problem is if we keep trying to patch with band aids at QB we're never going to have a consistantly good team. I saw mentioned in another post in this thread that we can get Losman or Grossman and then just put an elite defense behind them. That applies to a young QB as well so why would we waste our time with another teams garbage?

If you want to say we're in win now mode then fine but are we also a QB away from a superbowl? I see other weaknesses so I don't want to waste time with an old declining QB trying to be a wild card team that's out in the 1st round. I have no problems with bringing in a vet to compete but I would have a problem if that's all we're relying on.

This team definitely has the ability to win now. Hell we should have won last year. Build for the future means 3 years from now. The Jets have a very good mix of vets and young guys right now and only a few pieces are missing. One of those pieces just happens to be a QB. Hopefully this team can become strong enough to help carry/guide a young QB whether it be Clemens/Ratliff or 2009 draft pick.

They don't need to build for a future ten years from now, but at QB I'd like to see them have someone in place in '09 (be it Kellen Clemens or David Carr or any other QB) who'll be expected to be better in 2010 - not just another year closer to retirement. Someone they'd be hoping to be able to build something around.

To me, that let's out Garcia, Batch, and -of course- Brett Favre.

This team definitely has the ability to win now. Hell we should have won last year. Build for the future means 3 years from now. The Jets have a very good mix of vets and young guys right now and only a few pieces are missing. One of those pieces just happens to be a QB. Hopefully this team can become strong enough to help carry/guide a young QB whether it be Clemens/Ratliff or 2009 draft pick.

We were 8-3 last year. We had STOMPED the NFC SB reps,The Pats in Foxboro and a 12-0 squad.

We can win with Favre I think. A five game collapse can be attributed to many things.Coaching, comes to mind first,losing the lockerroom, conditioning,hidden injuries,chocking, what ever, but we can win without doing another thing, I believe.

Sure it could use a upgrade here and there, EVERY TEAM COULD> But This defense is built already. I believe truely that one of the two Bretts can successfully lead this team, if Rex comes as advertised defensively.

BTW

I'd rather have Ratliff/Ray Lewis that Favre/Barton just sayin.

PPS

or maybe ainge, never saw him.

Whoever wants Grossman on the Jets should really back-track the past few years, both statistically and his game film to see what he really doesn't offer. If you thought Brett Favre fun-balls that he threw up in double coverage were bad, Sexy Rexy is WORSE than that. Only two QBs on that list appeal to me that is Garcia and Leftwich. If Garcia comes on board, he's a quick fix 2 year QB who will keep the seat warm for a QB drafted this year -- equating to Clemens being on his way out of NY. If Leftwich comes in, it means that an open competition for training camp ensues bringing everybody in the mix.

For age and arm strength purposes I love Leftwich. He needed a change of scenery out of Jax and I don't count the half year on Atl as an indicator to what he has in his tank because he was cut during the beginning of the year and didn't sign with them until later -- a set up to fail scenerio. This past season as a back-up for Big Ben he served as a servicable back-up who now will be hitting the market for a best-case scenerio for him to start and be successful. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if other QB desperate teams (Minnesota, KC, Detriot or SF) throw their hat in on landing.

Garcia at this point of his career is strictly a game manager who is beginning to lack arm strength, but makes up with it with his precise throws, good decision-making and veteran leadership. Sounds familiar Jet fans? I wouldn't mind him coming to provide some stability though, considering the offense could be a huge question mark if Clemens, Ratliff, a rookie or any other FA QB gets signed.

We were 8-3 last year. We had STOMPED the NFC SB reps,The Pats in Foxboro and a 12-0 squad.

We can win with Favre I think. A five game collapse can be attributed to many things.Coaching, comes to mind first,losing the lockerroom, conditioning,hidden injuries,chocking, what ever, but we can win without doing another thing, I believe.

Sure it could use a upgrade here and there, EVERY TEAM COULD> But This defense is built already. I believe truely that one of the two Bretts can successfully lead this team, if Rex comes as advertised defensively.

BTW

I'd rather have Ratliff/Ray Lewis that Favre/Barton just sayin.

PPS

or maybe ainge, never saw him.

Bingo! If Rex Ryan is the coach we all hope he is then this can be a 10+ win team.

uh, you listed 4 players who aren't even that old. i agree about faneca, BUT....

jones still has at least 4 years left in him due to not playing a lot in his early career. washington is great.

pace is only 28.

jenkins is only 29.

go play in traffic. jets need to build for the future.

This is the NFL. You don't get to build for the future. Build guys for the future, and when they are "built", they go off to another team.

Kris Jenkins will be 30 before the season. He's at his prime or just over that hump. He's also one binge eating fest away from being the player he was 2 yrs ago.

Pace is not old, but if you're a rebuilding team, then you do not pay someone 42M.

Noone has a clue how many years Jones has left in him.

Let's go through all the starters then, if you need all 22 players discussed:

Young Players: Ferguson, Mangold, Keller, Cotchery, Harris, Revis, Rhodes

Middle of the road players: Moore, K Coleman, Barton, Thomas

Players that suck: Clemens, Lowery, Elam/Smith/etc

Old, Win Now players: Jones, Richardson, Coles, Faneca, Woody, Favre (if he comes back), Ellis, Jenkins, Pace

We have building blocks, but this team is built to win NOW. If you wait 3 yrs for a friggen QB to develop, you'll lose all your good players.

Now for your "go play in traffic" comment.. I guess debate isn't your strongsuit. People aren't going to agree with you your entire life.

\

We have building blocks, but this team is built to win NOW. If you wait 3 yrs for a friggen QB to develop, you'll lose all your good players.

While I agree in principal that we're a win now team this statement assumes we won't be drafting or signing anyone else of worth in the next 2-3 years, which is a fallacy.

While I agree in principal that we're a win now team this statement assumes we won't be drafting or signing anyone else of worth in the next 2-3 years, which is a fallacy.

You are right, but the statement didn't assume a thing.

It presented an opinion about those currently on the team.

Old, Win Now players: Jones, Richardson, Coles, Faneca, Woody, Favre (if he comes back), Ellis, Jenkins, Pace

Now for your "go play in traffic" comment.. I guess debate isn't your strongsuit. People aren't going to agree with you your entire life.

Moore is not a middle of the road G. Barton is gone.

Clemens doesn't suck yet, and neither does Lowery. I realize we're supposed to have all superstars, but that kind of takes a while to build. Anyway, ifClemens busts I'd still keep him as a backup. A backups job is to know the system so they can just plug him in, and Clemens has more years in Schotty's system than any other Jet.

Elam will get cut eventually, but he's not half bad in the box. Smith is someone I think Ryan will find a use for.He's a good athlete with good size who can play the run and cover.

Pace is 28 years old.

Honestly, last years roster probably showed us our core team for the next 2-3 years.

Moore is not a middle of the road G. Barton is gone.

Clemens doesn't suck yet, and neither does Lowery. I realize we're supposed to have all superstars, but that kind of takes a while to build. Anyway, ifClemens busts I'd still keep him as a backup. A backups job is to know the system so they can just plug him in, and Clemens has more years in Schotty's system than any other Jet.

Elam will get cut eventually, but he's not half bad in the box. Smith is someone I think Ryan will find a use for.He's a good athlete with good size who can play the run and cover.

Pace is 28 years old.

Honestly, last years roster probably showed us our core team for the next 2-3 years.

Middle of the road = Not someone to build on, and not a "win now" type of guy.

Pace is 28, but Pace got 20+ guaranteed. That by definition makes him win now.

Clemens SUCKS. period. Watch the games he played in and look at the deer in the headlights look you see. Don't give me the lame excuse about the OL. The OL caused the sacks, the OL didn't cause the scared look. I don't care how many years he has in the system. I'd bring in a vet if #4 retires/gets cut, and draft a young qb, and cut him. Yes, I think Clemens is that bad. I hope Im wrong.

Until Barton is actually gone, he counts.

Smith... he's consistent.. He can't cover OR play the run.

This is the NFL. You don't get to build for the future. Build guys for the future, and when they are "built", they go off to another team.

Kris Jenkins will be 30 before the season. He's at his prime or just over that hump. He's also one binge eating fest away from being the player he was 2 yrs ago.

Pace is not old, but if you're a rebuilding team, then you do not pay someone 42M.

Noone has a clue how many years Jones has left in him.

you're right, there is no "building" a team in today's SALARY CAP NFL. Everyone has young middle and old,period. This isn't the Marlins. If you're lucky you get a good couple draft classes back to back then fillin some old dudes.

you're wrong, Lowery doesn't suck, he'll be starting at corner next year, dime at the very least.

We have young QB's who I would not mind getting a shot, but we still need a veteran older QB for them to have on their side and also to go in and play in a pinch

Exactly, it'll be Ratliff, I'm pretty confident. The argument everyone gives is the stupidest thing ever.

They say "Yeah , but he was playing against truckdrivers and grocery baggers", actually it's probably more like high school PE coaches.....but, anyway, when a QB wins the heisman and EVERYONE is drooling over him, he's gonna be a #1 pick, who the f--- was he playing against, a bunch of college kids, he was the best player on the field.What will they be, dentists?It would be like watching your starter in the 4th quarter of preseason game one.WOW!

Ratliff stepped in with 21 guys at EXACTLY his level (2nd stringers as well, mind you, remember, before Favre decided to start playing) and did his thing.

Rat's the man, we will find this out, hopefully it's in a Jet uni and not the painful way we usually do.

Exactly, it'll be Ratliff, I'm pretty confident. The argument everyone gives is the stupidest thing ever.

They say "Yeah , but he was playing against truckdrivers and grocery baggers", actually it's probably more like high school PE coaches.....but, anyway, when a QB wins the heisman and EVERYONE is drooling over him, he's gonna be a #1 pick, who the f--- was he playing against, a bunch of college kids, he was the best player on the field.What will they be, dentists?It would be like watching your starter in the 4th quarter of preseason game one.WOW!

Ratliff stepped in with 21 guys at EXACTLY his level (2nd stringers as well, mind you, remember, before Favre decided to start playing) and did his thing.

Rat's the man, we will find this out, hopefully it's in a Jet uni and not the painful way we usually do.

The only thing that worries me is the 1 lone good quarter (don't read me stats, I don't care about them) Clemens had in 2007 was against the Ravens in the 4th. I hope Ryan doesn't read too much into that.

Archived