Who is impressed with Tanny?

BwanaZulia

My main issues with Tannenbaum so far:

2006:

- letting his HC talk him into massively reaching for late-round/UDFA talent players in the middle of the 2006 draft because they were team captains (Schlegel, E.Smith, B.Smith, Pociask).

- Letting his HC install a full-time 3-man DL without an appropriate NT.

- Kevan Barlow for the same compensation the Pats later gave Oakland for Randy Moss.

- Kimo von Oelhoffen...I don't know. He was good before we got him and even the great BB/Pioli team have picked up bust FA's.

2007:

- no backup for Pete Kendall and then releasing him. Had to know how the situation was going to end, and to not seriously address OG in FA or the draft, and then release your starter, was foolishness

- the childish game of chicken with Revis' agent...that he lost.

- Kenyon Coleman. Just too much money for a career backup. He'd still be fine if we had him as a backup making backup money.

- not getting 2nd-round (or better) value for Vilma when he had the chance.

- Letting his HC install a full-time 3-man DL without an appropriate NT for a second consecutive season.

2008:

- no OL depth last year (on the heels of the 2007 OL mess). Just dumb luck that we didn't have any injuries.

- giving Pouha a $2M/yr extension for working out hard in practice/TC but showing very little in on-field performance.

- guaranteeing Coles' 2008-2009 salary. Again, we're getting "lucky" with this error in the sense that there aren't any super-stud FA WR's out there who we have to pass on because of Coles' guaranteed $6M salary. But it could be argued that it's preventing a trade for someone like Boldin, unless we could structure a deal to keep Boldin's 2009 cap number somewhat lower. The problem is that keeping it too low this year will absolutely destroy us in future years (assuming there's a cap in 2010 & beyond). The whole thing could have been avoided if we added a single legitimate WR in 3 years since the "Tangini" era began. And no, Tim Dwight doesn't count.

2007-2008

- Bryan Thomas & Vernon Gholston. A lot of $ for two guys, who both play the same position, and neither of them has been any good since getting paid. We'll find out this year if it was the players or their coaches (or both).

It really could be worse, in light of the good things he has done (considering the mess he walked into). A lot of these errors are rookie-GM type mistakes, but missing on a bunch of picks in a particularly strong 2006 draft is hurting us today. The Favre thing I can't pin on Tannenbaum's head, as both the HC and owner wanted him as well. And a lot of this is just Monday-morning-quarterbacking on my part.

I think Tannebaum is Da Bomb! I mean, look at all the playoff apperances and victories his players have lead the Jets to. And the way he throws people under the bus to save his own ass - Hell, if that doesn't show his pure genius, nothing will!

I think Tannebaum is Da Bomb! I mean, look at all the playoff apperances and victories his players have lead the Jets to. And the way he throws people under the bus to save his own ass - Hell, if that doesn't show his pure genius, nothing will!

Who did he throw under the bus? Mangini? Please. There's a difference between holding others responsible for your shortcomings and holding others responsible for their own shortcomings. Woody didn't seem too happy after that last game himself. If mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

My main issues with Tannenbaum so far:

2006:

- letting his HC talk him into massively reaching for late-round/UDFA talent players in the middle of the 2006 draft because they were team captains (Schlegel, E.Smith, B.Smith, Pociask).

- Letting his HC install a full-time 3-man DL without an appropriate NT.

- Kevan Barlow for the same compensation the Pats later gave Oakland for Randy Moss.

- Kimo von Oelhoffen...I don't know. He was good before we got him and even the great BB/Pioli team have picked up bust FA's.

2007:

- no backup for Pete Kendall and then releasing him. Had to know how the situation was going to end, and to not seriously address OG in FA or the draft, and then release your starter, was foolishness

- the childish game of chicken with Revis' agent...that he lost.

- Kenyon Coleman. Just too much money for a career backup. He'd still be fine if we had him as a backup making backup money.

- not getting 2nd-round (or better) value for Vilma when he had the chance.

- Letting his HC install a full-time 3-man DL without an appropriate NT for a second consecutive season.

2008:

- no OL depth last year (on the heels of the 2007 OL mess). Just dumb luck that we didn't have any injuries.

- giving Pouha a $2M/yr extension for working out hard in practice/TC but showing very little in on-field performance.

- guaranteeing Coles' 2008-2009 salary. Again, we're getting "lucky" with this error in the sense that there aren't any super-stud FA WR's out there who we have to pass on because of Coles' guaranteed $6M salary. But it could be argued that it's preventing a trade for someone like Boldin, unless we could structure a deal to keep Boldin's 2009 cap number somewhat lower. The problem is that keeping it too low this year will absolutely destroy us in future years (assuming there's a cap in 2010 & beyond). The whole thing could have been avoided if we added a single legitimate WR in 3 years since the "Tangini" era began. And no, Tim Dwight doesn't count.

2007-2008

- Bryan Thomas & Vernon Gholston. A lot of $ for two guys, who both play the same position, and neither of them has been any good since getting paid. We'll find out this year if it was the players or their coaches (or both).

It really could be worse, in light of the good things he has done (considering the mess he walked into). A lot of these errors are rookie-GM type mistakes, but missing on a bunch of picks in a particularly strong 2006 draft is hurting us today. The Favre thing I can't pin on Tannenbaum's head, as both the HC and owner wanted him as well. And a lot of this is just Monday-morning-quarterbacking on my part.

How about giving up what should have been a second round pick for Brett when Tampa Bay in the same conference as Green Bay was reported offering a 4th.

How about giving up what should have been a second round pick for Brett when Tampa Bay in the same conference as Green Bay was reported offering a 4th.

One doesn't know the details of TB's offer (how similar/dissimilar the pick was to ours. I mean how conditional it was). And in case no one noticed, Green Bay turned down TB's offer of a 4th. That does not mean we could have had him for the same.

Archived