• Last Reply
That did not take long...

Both HC and DC from the Ravens...

Leonhard Rhodes

Sheppard Revis

Thomas/Gholston Scott Harris Pace

Coleman Jenkins Ellis

Lookin good so far...

as Barton said the other day; "Our D-line still sucks" Ellis and Coleman are way below average these days

as Barton said the other day; "Our D-line still sucks" Ellis and Coleman are way below average these days

Yea that was a just a average play against the bills at the end of the year to try and and save the season. :rolleyes:. Big Cat is still serviceable IMO;)

Big Cat is still good for the Jets, why there is hate i just don't know, what do people want from him.

As far as Coleman, he's fine, maybe he's a little overpaid, and another person could be brought in and do better, but he a good player for the rotation, he's better than DeVito, Pouha, and Kareem Brown

Shaun Ellis is hardly way below average. He's not elite, but there aren't dozens of elite 3-4 DE's that would remand Ellis to "way below average" status.

Coleman had a below-average year. His job isn't to rush the passer, but he doesn't even generate pressure after 5-6 seconds. I thought he was pretty good in 2007 considering the worthless pile of DFat next to him not drawing attention of multiple blockers. We'll see if he gets any better this year (unless Ryan decides to go in another direction).

Big Cat is still good for the Jets, why there is hate i just don't know, what do people want from him.

As far as Coleman, he's fine, maybe he's a little overpaid, and another person could be brought in and do better, but he a good player for the rotation, he's better than DeVito, Pouha, and Kareem Brown

he disappears for half seasons at a time since 2005...I'd like to see him and BT playing a LOT less-like half the plays since they only put out that much effort anyway..Coleman? Come ON start Mikey DeVito over him that guy is the Invisible Man

That was my first thought too when I looked at that lineup. An all pro secondary is nothing without a good front 7 which begins with a stout defensive line. Sure you're LBs are good but you need a D line that can protect them.

That was my first thought too when I looked at that lineup. An all pro secondary is nothing without a good front 7 which begins with a stout defensive line. Sure you're LBs are good but you need a D line that can protect them.

Jets fans have a habit of ALWAYS over rating our players-TTBT is that Ellis hasn't given us a full season's worth of play in years. On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate him a solid 6

again, I think the coaching schemes are gonna help this defence be beastly, including ellis & coleman. Jenkins is already proven.

Thanks for the Patzie input.

again, I think the coaching schemes are gonna help this defence be beastly, including ellis & coleman. Jenkins is already proven.

I truly hope so j-dub but think back to all the time guys like Cutler and Shawn Hill had to throw after Thanksgiving-there was NO pressure whatsoever from our front 3

he disappears for half seasons at a time since 2005...I'd like to see him and BT playing a LOT less-like half the plays since they only put out that much effort anyway..Coleman? Come ON start Mikey DeVito over him that guy is the Invisible Man

so leading the team in sacks counts for nothing, I mean c'mon the guy has no depth and he's asked to do so much

give him some help in the draft like a Ron Brace

look how much he improved after Jenkins joined

That's where you draft a young 3/4 DE and bring him along to take over in the next year or so.

so leading the team in sacks counts for nothing, I mean c'mon the guy has no depth and he's asked to do so much

give him some help in the draft like a Ron Brace

look how much he improved after Jenkins joined

1 sack in the 2nd half of 2008-7 the first half

Put Kimo von Douchebag or an Alvin McKinley or Fred Wakefield in his place for a whole season and tell me that Ellis is way below average.

Lord, help me.

I am way too lazy to do it now... but I bet if we gather a list of the 20 or so starting DE's in the 3-4 system Ellis will look pretty damn good...

I am way too lazy to do it now... but I bet if we gather a list of the 20 or so starting DE's in the 3-4 system Ellis will look pretty damn good...

Laziness has nothing to do with it. If you seriously don't think there are 7 ends better than Ellis or 10 better than Coleman, having somebody else do the legwork ain't gonna cure what ails you.

True, but the improved LB core will help. Plus, we really only need on DE to have the defense pretty well stitched up, I would say there aren't many other teams that or now in the comfortable postion we are on D between players, coaches, and holes.

Offense on the other hand.......lol

Overall, I really like were we are at with a month until the draft. We made some great moves without forgoing a lot of picks. Also, with the sgnings we now have decent depth at some positions as some of last years starters will slide back into the depth chart. One other thing, Gholston. Seems like Suggs was in the same situation, and if this staff can get 80% of what they got out of Suggs, it will be big for us.

It's not about ranking. It's the "WAY below average" notion. And frankly, a lot of guys looked below their talent level under Mangini & Sutton. The only exceptions I can think of are Jenkins & Revis. Everyone else has better talent than they displayed on the field.

When you don't send any LB'ers or safeties in to rush the passer, 5 linemen (and maybe a TE or HB/FB) can frequently hold off 3 linemen for quite a while. Not every team we play has a 39 year-old statue back there waiting to get clobbered.

Laziness has nothing to do with it. If you seriously don't think there are 7 ends better than Ellis or 10 better than Coleman, having somebody else do the legwork ain't gonna cure what ails you.

3-4 DE's not just DE's in general... there is a big difference...

3-4 DE's not just DE's in general... there is a big difference...

Thanks for the primer. I meant 3-4 also. There are easily 7 better than Ellis and 10 better than Coleman (of which Ellis actually isn't one, though you are of course free to frame your question as you like).

Starting 3-4 DEs

NY: Ellis, Coleman

NE: Seymour, Warren

PIT: Smith, Keisel

Balt: Ngata, Pryce

CLE: Williams, Smith

Denver: ??? Engleberger? McKinley?

KC: ??? McBride/Hali/Dorsey??

SD: Olshansky, Castillo

Dallas: [Canty][bowen], Spears

AZ: flex 3-4/4-3. Smith, Dockery?

Putting those into ranks/tiers, I'd say: