It's offical: Ratliff VS Clemens for starting job. link..

Jetkid94

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=3688&sport=NFL

Jets coach Rex Ryan reportedly "insists the organization is ready to go to battle" with Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff.

The Jets believe a veteran free agent would simply get in the way of finding out whether Clemens or Ratliff could be the long-term answer. It's an admirable position to avoid veteran mediocrity, but it's also quite a risk for a team looking to contend. Jay Cutler isn't a realistic option with the Jets having no quarterback to offer in return.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Related: Brett Ratliff

---------------------

=D>

Risk is small.

Clemens has three years of learning with a half year starting. Unlike 2007, he will have a vastly improved o-line, a solid running attack and a defense that will give him lots of opportunities and field position.

Yep, if Ratliff gets hurt, the Jets will be in fine shape. ;) If he doesn't, they will be even better.

I think they tried it in 2007. If I recall correctly, it was quite a disaster.

In the first sign that Mangina wasn't who he claimed to be, chad was handed the job without competition prior to TC????

I'm actually glad to hear that but one of these guys NEEDS to step up. Thankfully I don't think this will absolutely divide the Jets fanbase like Chad vs Kellen did as I'm presuming the majority don't give a **** who wins the job as long as they can do well.

I've said a lot regarding what I believe to be ridiculous Ratliff bandwagoning and I'm still of the opinion that the guy is nothing special, just a couple of lobs to a wide open WR in preseason are all we really have to go by BUT I will not rule him out. I will have no problems embracing the guy as our franchise QB if he proves me wrong and steps up.

My guess right now is Kellen wins it. I still think I saw a lot of potential in his ability in 2007 despite the fact that he was in a God awful situation. I think if we put the right pieces around him (Get a legitimate WR) he can be very successful but like I said I couldn't give a rats ass who wins the job.

well in 06 we went to the playoffs and 07 chad was suppost to come off his best year. 08 we got favre

06 was a wasted year that lead directly to the predictable 07 debacle

07 was the third time that Chad was supposed to put it all together (03 and 05 were the other 2) He's actually on his 4th try now..

08 Favre served his purpose by getting rid of CHad, if not for that, Chad would be our starter today and we'd be staring disaster in the face yet again..

Well, Clemens didn't exactly hang on tight, did he? I'm pretty sure that Pennington was kicking his ass in camp in '08 before we brought in that fossil.

Clemens came in at 1-7 with two dinged up WR's and had 0 time to establish a rhythm with anyone. Further, His first 4 games as a starter were against top 10 defenses (Bal, Wash, Pitts, Dal) obviously he didn't play well, but you must admit the situation was far from ideal.

And I'm pretty sure Chad wasn't kicking anyone's ass, the reputable sources I read said Chad was doing what he does best, trying not to lose and Clemens was coming on..

In the first sign that Mangina wasn't who he claimed to be, chad was handed the job without competition prior to TC????

WHAT??? There was a competition in 06, Chad won coming off an injury, and took a crap team from 05 and brought them to the playoffs with one of his best years. Why in the world would there have been another competition? The guy did what was asked of him in 06 and earned his spot in 07. 07 was definitely not on CP either, anyone that thinks that really doesn't remember the season.

Clemens came in at 1-7 with two dinged up WR's and had 0 time to establish a rhythm with anyone. Further, His first 4 games as a starter were against top 10 defenses (Bal, Wash, Pitts, Dal) obviously he didn't play well, but you must admit the situation was far from ideal.

And I'm pretty sure Chad wasn't kicking anyone's ass, the reputable sources I read said Chad was doing what he does best, trying not to lose and Clemens was coming on..

As if the Vikings preseason game wasnt a bit of foreshadowing.

Please, baltimore won 5 games in 07, one more than us. Washington won 9 games and Pit won 10, good teams but hardly great, there was a TON of 10 or better win teams that year. As for rhythm and injures, both Chad and Kellen dealt with the same issues so they were on equal footing.

As far as 08 training camp, don't know what reliable sources you read, but all the beat guys and even a bunch of people from here who went to camp all said KC looked terrible. the fact that he even had to compete with the guy whose job he took the season before speaks volumes. In the end, if KC had convinced them he would have been the qb.

The fact that supposedly half the jets CS thinks Ratliff, an undrafted practice squad player is the guy is also a huge indictment against KC.

I really only care about the jets having someone who can do the job. My experience viewing KC's body of work and applying logic to the situation just says he won't be that guy. Of course I am happy to be wrong if he ends up starting AND doesn't suck.

WHAT??? There was a competition in 06, Chad won coming off an injury, and took a crap team from 05 and brought them to the playoffs with one of his best years. Why in the world would there have been another competition? The guy did what was asked of him in 06 and earned his spot in 07. 07 was definitely not on CP either, anyone that thinks that really doesn't remember the season.

CP was average in 06, and succeeded against a weak schedule.

We beat one good team that year, a team that embarrassed us, and him, in the playoffs not long after.

CP was average in 06, and succeeded against a weak schedule.

We beat one good team that year, a team that embarrassed us, and him, in the playoffs not long after.

please, you play the schedule you are given, we won and got to the playoffs with pretty much the same team that sh#t the bed the year before. If average means he was the #16 qb in the league, I would be ok with that. Heck, I will be very happy if we end up with the #16 qb this year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=3688&sport=NFL

Jets coach Rex Ryan reportedly "insists the organization is ready to go to battle" with Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff.

The Jets believe a veteran free agent would simply get in the way of finding out whether Clemens or Ratliff could be the long-term answer. It's an admirable position to avoid veteran mediocrity, but it's also quite a risk for a team looking to contend. Jay Cutler isn't a realistic option with the Jets having no quarterback to offer in return.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Related: Brett Ratliff

---------------------

=D>

It's official, it's March.. nothing is set in stone.

Please, baltimore won 5 games in 07, one more than us. Washington won 9 games and Pit won 10, good teams but hardly great, there was a TON of 10 or better win teams that year. As for rhythm and injures, both Chad and Kellen dealt with the same issues so they were on equal footing.

He said top 10 defenses, not teams, and that's a fact.

Chad had Coles for almost all of his games, Kellen had Coles for almost none.

As far as 08 training camp, don't know what reliable sources you read, but all the beat guys and even a bunch of people from here who went to camp all said KC looked terrible. the fact that he even had to compete with the guy whose job he took the season before speaks volumes. In the end, if KC had convinced them he would have been the qb.

You're right, but as Favre was brought it, it seemed like all the reads say it was starting to even out. Chad was still in the lead at that point.

The fact that supposedly half the jets CS thinks Ratliff, an undrafted practice squad player is the guy is also a huge indictment against KC.

Ratliff has yet to throw an NFL pass. People forget this. In the NFL record books, Brett Ratliff does not exist. His current stature is a creation of the fans, more than anything else. Lets see him throw an official pass before we start anointing him anything, or inferring anything from him.

I really only care about the jets having someone who can do the job. My experience viewing KC's body of work and applying logic to the situation just says he won't be that guy. Of course I am happy to be wrong if he ends up starting AND doesn't suck.

That may be true, and I don't think anyone is high on KC, but his circumstances were beyond bad, so, if he were to get another shot, I wouldn't think it the end of the world. I'd love to bring in someone better, but that's easy to say. Not so easy is to answer, 'who?'

please, you play the schedule you are given, we won and got to the playoffs with pretty much the same team that sh#t the bed the year before. If average means he was the #16 qb in the league, I would be ok with that. Heck, I will be very happy if we end up with the #16 qb this year.

You do play the schedule you are given. But when you lose to every good team, save one, you shouldn't be surprised when you lose in the playoffs and quickly. Remember Jacksonville? Remember Chicago? Those teams embarrassed us.

So yes, the Jets were successful in making the playoffs, no one is debating that, but they were NEVER really a contender, and got put in their place pretty quickly.

At the TC sessions that I went to in 08, KC looked bad, Chad looked fairly good and Ratliff looked like the best of the three, albeit getting less reps than the other two. Then Favre dropped in and everything changed.

Both Clemens and Ratliff have all the reason in the world to win the job. They have multiple years in the system, will have fully participated in the offseason program, have the same OC and playbook.

The Jets don't need a superstar performance out of them, just competent QB play. Can they play as well as Collins did for the Titans? If so, the Jets don't need a vet. If not, Clemens and Ratliff may never be starter material.

He said top 10 defenses, not teams, and that's a fact.

Ratliff has yet to throw an NFL pass. People forget this. In the NFL record books, Brett Ratliff does not exist. His current stature is a creation of the fans, more than anything else. Lets see him throw an official pass before we start anointing him anything, or inferring anything from him.

I know he said defense, but lets not make it out that we had a close game that we almost won against a 5 win team as any badge of honor.

As for Ratliff not starting, on the first day of class, everyone starts out with an A for the class, it is up to each student to keep it or lose it. KC has done very little to nothing to keep his role as starter, while the opposite is true of Ratliff. You can't penalize a guy for not accomplishing something you have not given him the chance to accomplish him, you can only grade him on what he has done thus far. KC has never really shown much promise in the pre season, and his half a season as a starter ended up with him having to recompete with the guy he replaced, a competition that ended with him NOT being the starter. Ratliff has shined in all the opportunities given to him. Maybe he won't in real games, but you can't penalize him for not having real game experience if he hasn't been given the shot to prove himself. You can not fail at something you have not been allowed to try. So KC started out with an A and has lost it, and is maybe somewhere around a C, where Ratliff has kept his A so far. Maybe the same thing will happen to him when he gets in the real games, but at this point that has not happened yet.

Also, how many of you were as excited about KC's preseason performances and Rat's?

Yeah, no one has really talked about this. What if they both suck? Very possible.

well, based on the performance we have seen from one of them in the starting role (albeit with a bad line or whatever excuses we make) and on the fact that the other is an undrafted practice squad guy, I would think there is at least a 50% chance they both suck, ugh.

If you ask me today, before the draft and training camp, I am going to say that Rat will be the guy, but I am sooooo open to whoever the cs thinks looks better, I am knot knocking either guy or making stupid jokes about how bad one of them is unlike some other posters.

Also, how many of you were as excited about KC's preseason performances and Rat's?

Well if your talking about this previous preseason, obviously Ratliff was a lot more exciting to watch. Every opportunity Ratliff was given in the games he put his all into it it seemed. Clemens looked very passive in preseason, now that could have been because he just didn't care and didn't give a hoot what his stats looked like because its only preseason.

But I agree with you about the comparison of Ratliff and Clemens on impressions and how Clemens changed since the beginning. Clemens hasn't shown me anything encouraging since the Baltimore game (the second half only).

If they both suck, well playing the if game is really annoying and I could just as well say what if Favre never injured himself 5 weeks before the season was over? Maybe we would have actually won our division.

well, based on the performance we have seen from one of them in the starting role (albeit with a bad line or whatever excuses we make) and on the fact that the other is an undrafted practice squad guy, I would think there is at least a 50% chance they both suck, ugh.

If you ask me today, before the draft and training camp, I am going to say that Rat will be the guy, but I am sooooo open to whoever the cs thinks looks better, I am knot knocking either guy or making stupid jokes about how bad one of them is unlike some other posters.

I think it is impossible to judge either one so far, all the Anti-Ratliff, Anti-Clemens is bull****. You can't judge Ratliff because of the preseason this past year, who knows he could be great, but I don't know how you can be Anti-Ratliff, he was given his opportunity and he did well, nothing more he could have done. And Clemens was in the absolute worst, God-awful situation in 07, you can't judge him either based on that O-Line and just the horrible surroundings. I am open to either one and I haven't leaned toward one way yet, because as I stated earlier, they are impossible to judge, unless you have seen them practicing every day or are on the CS of the Jets.

That being said, I will make my judgment at the end of the preseason as to who I want quarterbacking this team. Good luck to the 2 of them.

Archived