looks like Coles did all right for himself..

Jetfan13

Exactly. Coles is no different.

The difference is the way he runs his mouth. That and lets be honest, he is kind of full of crap. As much as he supposedly loved the Jets, his teammates, whatever... it didn't stop him from bolting... twice. He gladly accepted the RFA deal with the Redskins he knew the team couldn't match. When he wanted to come back to the Jets oh so greatly to play with his bestest best friend, it didn't stop him from whininf about how he should receive a new contract and more importantly, signing bonus, despite being only two years into the deal that got him leaving the Jets. Then last year, with two years left on the deal he signed with the Jets, he starts endlessly moaning about his contract... again! So the Jets guarantee the last two years of his deal and after one year of that agreement, he's back to whining (again), so the Jets let him opt out of his contract.

Its not only about the money, its the fact that the guy has absolutely NO interest in actually honoring the contracts he signs. Once the fun and glamor of the big, up-front money he receives in his contract has worn off, he's done with his contract and his team. Simply put, the guy has no loyalty whatsoever. And while there are a bunch of other players like that in the NFL, there are many that aren't quite that bad and even more important, obvious, about it. That is why he gets so much crap.

...the guy has absolutely NO interest in actually honoring the contracts he signs.

Hypocrisy, because neither does management.

They're only interested in you honoring your agreement when you're overacheiving. If you underperform with years left on your deal, you're asked to take a pay cut or you get cut. It's a business, and management holds the hammer and wields it whenever they can. Any player bucking that system gets tagged as a "whiner." Frankly, I think more of these guys should step up.

Woody furloughs staff in order to increase his profits a little bit before the PSL's start rolling in, but meanwhile it's a guy like Coles who attracts the fans ire. It's amazing to me. People have no idea who the real villain is. Hint: it's not the players risking their lives for their livelihood and your entertainment.

Hypocrisy, because neither does management.

They're only interested in you honoring your agreement when you're overacheiving. If you underperform with years left on your deal, you're asked to take a pay cut or you get cut. It's a business, and management holds the hammer and wields it whenever they can. Any player bucking that system gets tagged as a "whiner." Frankly, I think more of these guys should step up.

Woody furloughs staff in order to increase his profits a little bit before the PSL's start rolling in, but meanwhile it's a guy like Coles who attracts the fans ire. It's amazing to me. People have no idea who the real villain is. Hint: it's not the players risking their lives for their livelihood and your entertainment.

+1 Good post Slats. That loyalty bit runs both ways and the owners are just as guilty as the players.

remember when he went to the skins and all of a sudden looked great ?

with palmer he could put up big numbers

he wasn't a whiner as much as just honest

in contrast to chad "politically correct company man" pennington and the BS he spewed, by contrast, it seemed whiny

the problem was cimini would always go to him and go fishing on slow news days, and sometimes he bit

+1 Good post Slats. That loyalty bit runs both ways and the owners are just as guilty as the players.

In this instance that's absolutely not the case, and I think that's where the problem comes in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not huge Coles hater or anything and don't get overly hung up on it. I just usually don't think about it. But when taking a minute to step back and look at it, I can understand the frustration. The team wanted to keep him, but he ran off for more money. Fine, I get that given the circumstances of the situation. The Jets obviously felt highly of him, and traded to get him back. Not only that, out of nothing more but good faith, they signed him to a brand new deal with a new signing bonus. This is a guy who was only 2 years into the big deal that he got that caused him to bolt from the team in the first place. Hell, after that trade Coles had what, 5 years still left on that Redskins deal, with no guaranteed money to worry about? In hindsight, the Jets probably should've told Coles to take his new contract demands and shove them where the sun don't shine.

So he gets his new deal anyway, and he gets a few years into the deal and suddenly he decides he feels like he's not getting treated fairly enough. A guy who was given an extra signing bonus that he was by no means entitled to, started complaining about his contract. Meanwhile, this just as he was getting older and starting to shown signs of age and wear. But rather than the Jets asking him to renegotiate, he was demanding more money. But what do the Jets do? They appease him by guaranteeing the last two years of the deal in which they gave him additional up front money they didn't have to. He takes that, although making it quite clear that he doesn't like it, and comes back a year later and gets the Jets to let him opt out of the contract.

You know what, if the guy can get away with it then good for him, but it doesn't change the facts. And those facts are what get people annoyed by and what make him think he's kind of a douche. There's a lot of people out there who get away with a lot of douchey stuff, doesn't change what they've done. These same kind of people exist in essentially every company with every type of job all over the place and often annoy people just the same as Coles does. The only difference is Coles is a celebrity, so it becomes a discussion topic. But lets not try to take this moral stand for the guy. Sure every NFL team has their own share of dirty deeds they've done, the Jets included, but this team has been nothing but great to Coles and not once has he ever shown that same level of commitment towards them. That's why people get pissed.

The team wanted to keep him, but he ran off for more money. Fine, I get that given the circumstances of the situation. The Jets obviously felt highly of him, and traded to get him back.

I don't think that was the case at all. The Jets chose to tender Coles at the 1st round pick level when for not much more money could've tendered him at the 1st and 3rd level. Had they done that, they probably would've fended off any attempts to steal him away right there. I'm not sure how much the team wanted to keep him. There was a lot of discussion at the time that the Jets were looking for someone to sign him to an offer sheet so they could get the 1st round pick for him. I mean, if the Jets had wanted to keep him, they could've made an honest attempt to sign him long term rather than tender him as an RFA at all - but they chose not to.

You could make the case that that's when Coles first got a taste of the business. You could also make the case that Terry Bradway's a blithering idiot, but I digress...

As for all the rest of your post, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with any NFL player doing whatever he can to get whatever he can get. If he bitches and moans but isn't worth the money - he won't get it! It's that simple.

The moment he may not be worth what he's being paid, he's in danger of being cut. NFL careers are short, and a guy like Coles is one serious concussion away from retirement. Why shouldn't he seek everything he can get now? Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you want to do that for your wife and kids?

I'm sure that some of you can remember that when they guaranteed the years on Coles contract that he said that they would renegotiate this off-season. Obviously they didn't want to give him more money and he tested the market. He felt he was worth more and he was right. I don't have a problem with it. I'd rather have a guy whine about his contract and play hard than a guy that's just a bitch.

I don't think that was the case at all. The Jets chose to tender Coles at the 1st round pick level when for not much more money could've tendered him at the 1st and 3rd level. Had they done that, they probably would've fended off any attempts to steal him away right there. I'm not sure how much the team wanted to keep him. There was a lot of discussion at the time that the Jets were looking for someone to sign him to an offer sheet so they could get the 1st round pick for him. I mean, if the Jets had wanted to keep him, they could've made an honest attempt to sign him long term rather than tender him as an RFA at all - but they chose not to.

You could make the case that that's when Coles first got a taste of the business. You could also make the case that Terry Bradway's a blithering idiot, but I digress...

As for all the rest of your post, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with any NFL player doing whatever he can to get whatever he can get. If he bitches and moans but isn't worth the money - he won't get it! It's that simple.

The moment he may not be worth what he's being paid, he's in danger of being cut. NFL careers are short, and a guy like Coles is one serious concussion away from retirement. Why shouldn't he seek everything he can get now? Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you want to do that for your wife and kids?

Exactly, the Jets could have made it clear they wanted Coles by tendering him where a 1st and 3rd would have been compensation or by extending him back then.....The Jets choose to either go on the cheap or wanted the 1st round pick and not Coles....

Just part of the business and it looks likes Coles learned that lesson well from the Jets....

if i remember correctly having another first from the Skins for Coles was parlayed into the great bowling ball with butcher knives draft pick of D-Rob.......

Archived