Gnocchi

RutgersJetFan

I've become addicted to it recently. Anyone have any good recipes?

Rutger Rutgers Rutgers.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

My gradnmother and I have been making them for about 30 years. The key is to NOT use egg. Start with potatoes(starchier the better-replaces need for eggs), don't over cook them but make sure their pliable. Depending on how heavy you want them depends on how much flower you want to use. My family makes them like "lead sinkers" VERY HEAVY, but if you want them lighter cut back on the flower. Some people use a little egg in the beginning because it helps bind it, but the true old school gnooci is sans egg. The most basic type, kind I like are just flower, water, and potatoe with a smidge of salt. People add whatever they like for flavor.

When you have your mixture it's nice to have a pasta baord. If you don;t just put some flower on your table and place quarter size splotched of dough and then rolll them. They make little stick( to roll them) thing but the old italians use a fork. Ive been making them for ever so I use my big thumbs. Make sure to dust them with a little flower before putting them in a bag to freeze them If you got room to flash freeze them before putting them in a bag it will prevent ending up with clumps(sticking together) of gnocci. If these happen eat them anyways. Part of the reason to go leash on the flower in the mixutre because you will add some as you go.

Wow, I didn;t know you where one of those "guess your weight" guys at the carnival. Awesome.

Man.. you've really blossomed over here.. good stuff .. lol

Thanks for the Gnocchi tip also. My mother is a vegan so hearing that -egg is actually better should hopefully get her to make some :D

Thanks for the Gnocchi tip also. My mother is a vegan so hearing that -egg is actually better should hopefully get her to make some :D

And thus why our love blossomed since our arrival here as well.

Crusher is teh awesome.

Rutger Rutgers Rutgers.

My gradnmother and I have been making them for about 30 years. The key is to NOT use egg. Start with potatoes(starchier the better-replaces need for eggs), don't over cook them but make sure their pliable. Depending on how heavy you want them depends on how much flower you want to use. My family makes them like "lead sinkers" VERY HEAVY, but if you want them lighter cut back on the flower. Some people use a little egg in the beginning because it helps bind it, but the true old school gnooci is sans egg. The most basic type, kind I like are just flower, water, and potatoe with a smidge of salt. People add whatever they like for flavor.

When you have your mixture it's nice to have a pasta baord. If you don;t just put some flower on your table and place quarter size splotched of dough and then rolll them. They make little stick( to roll them) thing but the old italians use a fork. Ive been making them for ever so I use my big thumbs. Make sure to dust them with a little flower before putting them in a bag to freeze them If you got room to flash freeze them before putting them in a bag it will prevent ending up with clumps(sticking together) of gnocci. If these happen eat them anyways. Part of the reason to go leash on the flower in the mixutre because you will add some as you go.

my mom used to make homemades too Crusher-did your grandma ever make polenta?

Rutger Rutgers Rutgers.

I used to go to my buddies Nanas house and we did it the same way. Cept we would let them dry out a bit before freezing. We took a bed sheet and put it over the Buick and spread em out. All of those beautiful dumplings, those were the days

Anybody make malfatti? Similar idea, but spinach and flour instead of potato. Apparently my great-grandmother made them and my dad still raves about it. My wife has made them a couple of times and they are pretty good. She had an apartment in the village with a bathtub in the kitchen and they had a board they put over the tub to roll the homemade stuff.

Make sure she uses like Russet potatoes, the extra starch helps hold them together.

my mom used to make homemades too Crusher-did your grandma ever make polenta?

Yes, both my grandmothers actually.

but my fathers mother is the one that I lived with and we made pasta together about 4 times a year and give them to the relatives she wasn't pissed off at, at that particular moment in time.

Archived