Jay Feely Visiting Cardinals

Ghost

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Source-Free-agent-kicker-Jay-Feely-visiting-Arizona-Cardinals

It's honestly stupid to let this guy go. We bring in Nick Folk who misses 25 yarders. Who misses in a no wind enviorment, and the Jets think this guy is going to kick in Decemeber? You gotta be kidding me.

Something else the Jets need is a punter. Most games will be decided my field position for us. Having a key punter is very helpful but we never see that.

Bring Jay Feely back and sign a punter. Special Teams might not win us the Super Bowl but it will definitely get us far in the playoffs.

One of the best free-agent kickers on the market is heading to Arizona for a free-agent visit.

Cardinals at a glance

22.gif Looking for more dirt on the Cardinals? Get the inside slant, stats, scores, schedules and more scoops right here.

A source told FOXSports.com that Jay Feely is scheduled to visit this weekend with Cardinals officials.

Feely, 33, is coming off a solid season with the New York Jets. He converted 30 of 36 field goals during the regular season and made all 32 of his extra-point attempts. Feely also served as New York’s emergency punter during a first-round playoff victory against Cincinnati.

The Jets allowed Feely to test the free-agent market after signing ex-Dallas kicker Nick Folk.

Arizona is in the market for a new kicker after not re-signing Neil Rackers,

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we knew this was a possibility, when Mike T. signed Folk.

If he does sign to join Rhodes in the desert then I will wish him luck. But I would hope, Management would come to their senses and pay the man his worth, he isn't just a kicker. He is the working class football player willing to lay his body on the line for his teammates.

Feely came up small in the AFC Championship Game. He's been largely reliable, but kickers are replaceable. I expect the Jets to at least bring in an UDFA to compete with Folk, and they'll scour the waiver wire if no one's working out by the time the season starts. Feely himself was out of football when the Jets brought him in. You can find kickers. Not like you have to spend second round picks on them. :rolleyes:

Should Feely sign a decent contract elsewhere, that'll free up the Jets to sign a FA to an equal value contract. Lose a kicker, gain a football player? That works for me.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Source-Free-agent-kicker-Jay-Feely-visiting-Arizona-Cardinals

It's honestly stupid to let this guy go. We bring in Nick Folk who misses 25 yarders. Who misses in a no wind enviorment, and the Jets think this guy is going to kick in Decemeber? You gotta be kidding me.

Something else the Jets need is a punter. Most games will be decided my field position for us. Having a key punter is very helpful but we never see that.

Bring Jay Feely back and sign a punter. Special Teams might not win us the Super Bowl but it will definitely get us far in the playoffs.

One of the best free-agent kickers on the market is heading to Arizona for a free-agent visit.

Yeah, I can't imagine a guy making very missable kicks in a domed environment. Oh my God, imagine if Folk did that in a big game like, oh, I don't know... the AFC Championship? Oh wait, then he'd just be Feely. Feely is a vastly overrated kicker and HORRIBLE on kickoffs. Feely lost us more games with his crappy kickoffs than he won us with his field goals, that's all I'm saying.

As far as punters, most punters in the NFL suck. There's just not many good ones. Bringing another one in to compete is a good idea, but sad to say, you could do a lot worse than Weatherford. They'll probably bring in an UDFA to compete, but I wouldn't expect some big move because there's nobody out there worth getting.

If they sign Feely away from us doesn't that mean that we can sign any UFA from another team?

We can then sign a Unrestricted Free Agent who had their contract end in 2009 with 6 years or more of service for the same 1st year payment that Feely gets. In other words, if in year #1, Feely gets 2M, we can pay our FA 2M in year #1.

Players that were cut, players that are restricted and not tendered, etc etc do not count on this, which is why we could sign Pool and LT.

We can also only offer 30% raises each year, so it's not like we can pay someone 2M in year 1 and 12 in year 2.

Feely's game with the Giants against Seattle was worse then Doug Brien's infamous division round disaster. This guy is about as un-clutch as a kicker can be.

It doesn't get worse than missing 2 kicks with 3 minutes remaining to put your team in the Championship game. Feely was bad though that day I agree.

Feely kept us in so many games. There were times when he was the only one doing his part, putting points on the board. Anyone who wants him gone because of the AFCC loss is 100% brain-dead.

Meh.

I'm not chasing him out of town, but kickers are replaceable parts. Feely himself was out of work when the Jets picked him up. There's always another kicker.

If he signs a FA deal somewhere, that will free up the Jets to sign their first FA of the year to an equal value contract under the final 8 rules. That's reason enough to let him walk, IMHO.

As much as I did like Feely, he blew the Falcons game and he also hurt us a lot in the AFCC game. Rackers is a better kicker than him as well, although I'm not high on Folk he was decent a couple of years ago too. These Ks are all replaceable and they all have bad spots.

Yeah, Feely is definitely overrated. I mean, he only played punter for us in a playoff game. But good idea guys, lets bring in two guys who can't kick in ****ing domes and allow them to kick in the Meadowlands. Brilliant.

Yeah, Feely is definitely overrated. I mean, he only played punter for us in a playoff game. But good idea guys, lets bring in two guys who can't kick in ****ing domes and allow them to kick in the Meadowlands. Brilliant.

Can we get over this nonsense of praising the guy up and down for the one friggin' game of punting? I was praising him at the time for it too, but the fact is that the Jets would have done the same thing no matter who the hell their kicker was, because he was the only option they had. Its not like he did a particularly great job, he averaged 30 yards a kick, time to get over it already. And if the fact that he can double as a crappy punter is the reason you're going to keep your kicker, that is beyond idiotic.

On a normal day he's an average to above average kicker, in clutch situations the guy is historically awful for his career (and his Jets career has reflected that), and his kickoffs are garbage. I find it hilarious that people crap all over Folk after one bad year, when he was one of the best kickers in the league the two years prior, and then praise Feely who's repeatedly struggled at various points in his career and has gotten dumped by more teams than you can count. Feely just isn't that good and shouldn't be counted on to come up big in tough spots, so if you think Folk can be that guy then you give him a shot, grab a UDFA kicker later and let them fight it out. Worst case scenario, a guy like Feely will still be available come the end of training camp, if not Feely himself. After all, this is the same guy we signed Week 2 of the 2008 regular season because NOBODY wanted him at the time.

Can we get over this nonsense of praising the guy up and down for the one friggin' game of punting? I was praising him at the time for it too, but the fact is that the Jets would have done the same thing no matter who the hell their kicker was, because he was the only option they had. Its not like he did a particularly great job, he averaged 30 yards a kick, time to get over it already. And if the fact that he can double as a crappy punter is the reason you're going to keep your kicker, that is beyond idiotic.

On a normal day he's an average to above average kicker, in clutch situations the guy is historically awful for his career (and his Jets career has reflected that), and his kickoffs are garbage. I find it hilarious that people crap all over Folk after one bad year, when he was one of the best kickers in the league the two years prior, and then praise Feely who's repeatedly struggled at various points in his career and has gotten dumped by more teams than you can count. Feely just isn't that good and shouldn't be counted on to come up big in tough spots, so if you think Folk can be that guy then you give him a shot, grab a UDFA kicker later and let them fight it out. Worst case scenario, a guy like Feely will still be available come the end of training camp, if not Feely himself. After all, this is the same guy we signed Week 2 of the 2008 regular season because NOBODY wanted him at the time.

The Cowboys could've gone to the SB if Folk hit that short FG. So don't talk not being clutch.

Feely is more trustworth than Folk. End of story.

The Cowboys could've gone to the SB if Folk hit that short FG. So don't talk not being clutch.

Feely is more trustworth than Folk. End of story.

Oh, end of story? Thank God you cleared that up. Newsflash, just because you say it doesn't make it true. Feely has had a much longer career of even more failing, he's anything but trustworthy.

It doesn't mean Folk is going to work out, but its worth a shot, because Feely isn't getting it done. The fact is there are just people who have a hard-on for the guy based on some completely irrelevant nonsense based on his tackling on kick coverage (which is only necessary because of his awful kickoffs) and one game worth of crappy punting. He was HORRIBLE for the first half of 2008 for the Jets and after a good stretch after that, resumed his suckiness down the stretch last season. Frankly, I'm glad he's gone. He's cost the Jets more games than he's won them.

Oh, end of story? Thank God you cleared that up. Newsflash, just because you say it doesn't make it true. Feely has had a much longer career of even more failing, he's anything but trustworthy.

It doesn't mean Folk is going to work out, but its worth a shot, because Feely isn't getting it done. The fact is there are just people who have a hard-on for the guy based on some completely irrelevant nonsense based on his tackling on kick coverage (which is only necessary because of his awful kickoffs) and one game worth of crappy punting. He was HORRIBLE for the first half of 2008 for the Jets and after a good stretch after that, resumed his suckiness down the stretch last season. Frankly, I'm glad he's gone. He's cost the Jets more games than he's won them.

WTF are you talking about? What games did Jay Feely personally lose us? Tell me. Name one game.

One name: Mike Vanderjact. Most kickers, once they lose it, it's gone. Feely, honestly, hasn't seemed to fit that bill in my opinion. I thought after his stint with the Giants he'd be done but he's done pretty well. I don't want to throw him under the bus for the Indy game, and I won't. I'll never get so attatched to a friggin' kicker that I am upset when he leaves, but I do like Feely and think we could do much worse. I just don't understand this idea that he was horrible last year. He wasn't. Rookie kickers sometimes have success too, though. Or suck beyond belief. But we could always pick one up and give him as you said.

The biggest reason I'd be fine with this (and you may have brought it up BG), is that we can guy a UFA, though not an expensive one you'd assume.

Lets not forget, the guys got plenty of tackles too. I would say he is maybe the best tackling kicker in the league, i don't mind having him back there as a last line of defense.

Look if Az. offers him a low ball contract then I have no prob matching it and keeping Feely. He is usually consistent, though I do not have much faith in him when a game is on the line. That is why if they want to give him 2 mil or more a year then I say let him go. We can then sign a RFA CB to help our secondary depth. The really good offenses don't rely on kickers as much, only usually when it's a clutch kick, and we've seen from many past examples that Feely has problems with them. So, I think you check out Folk and whoever else they choose to try out and see who is more consistent with FG's and kickoffs. **** I know I can kick a 45 yarder, maybe I should go out there and get my leg up to 50 some yarders and try out myself.

Lets not forget, the guys got plenty of tackles too. I would say he is maybe the best tackling kicker in the league, i don't mind having him back there as a last line of defense.

He did make some tackles, but he was also out of position, since he was trying to make a hit on every play, and because of that (and woodhead), we potentially lost a game against Miami. Im not saying he tackles Ginn on one of those returns, but if he's where he's supposed to be, the chance of slowing him down just enough for someone else to make the hit exists. He's not solely at fault here, but everyone needs to be in position. It looks good when he makes a hit, but he's out of position often on KO returns.

Guys would you trade Jay Feely for Darren Sharper straight up?

yeah but you aren't getting Darren Sharper for 1.5-2M in the 1st year unless you give him a 3 year, (2+2.6+3.38) 8M contract (that's the most you could give if Feely signed for 2M in the 1st year) and you guaranteed every last dime of it.

yeah but you aren't getting Darren Sharper for 1.5-2M in the 1st year unless you give him a 3 year, (2+2.6+3.38) 8M contract (that's the most you could give if Feely signed for 2M in the 1st year) and you guaranteed every last dime of it.

Well in the words of the immortal Yogi, it is getting late early.

I am not saying they can get Sharper, I don't know what he will accept contract wise and a 3 year deal for him isn't a smart thing to do. But there are a lot of free agents still out there and my point is losing Feely gives the Jets some options.

I like options.

WTF are you talking about? What games did Jay Feely personally lose us? Tell me. Name one game.

Well just off the top of my head this season alone, both kickoff returns in the second Miami were at least just as much Feely's fault as the coverage units considering thanks to his pathetically bad kickoffs it limited the ability of the coverage to get downfield, and he was out of position both times when it came to be backing back to try to make the tackle in case the returner broke loose. Its not a coincidence that problems in the Jets coverage unit began at the exact moment Feely became our kicker. Oh yeah, and multiple missed kicks in a 3 point loss against Atlanta. Not to mention if not for Feely going 1 for 3 in a dome in the AFC Championship the Jets would've been within one score at the end of the game.

I'm sure you'll blame everyone else imaginable for those losses and while he didn't lose those games alone (and no single player ever loses a game on his own), he certainly had a big part in both losses. On the flip side, name one single game that he ever actually won for the Jets? Because that was really the point, that he's lost more than he's won, because he has won the Jets zero games.

Well in the words of the immortal Yogi, it is getting late early.

I am not saying they can get Sharper, I don't know what he will accept contract wise and a 3 year deal for him isn't a smart thing to do. But there are a lot of free agents still out there and my point is losing Feely gives the Jets some options.

I like options.

5 years you can jack the total pricetag to around 18M. I don't think anyone is giving him a 5 year deal.

You are right. Feely going allows us to chase someone who can either start, or be a very big contributor. Look at Pool. He's getting 1.3M. Sure, he was not an UFA so it didn't matter, but that's the type of player you can grab.

Meh...Feely's missed this, Feely's made this, Feely's a tough guy on the field...etc. Some of you guys might want to take into account the fact that Feely is a notorious toolbox and that there might be a little something more to him being allowed to walk other than 'dude lost the Atlanta game.'

Archived