Jay Feely Visiting Cardinals

Ghost

Meh...Feely's missed this, Feely's made this, Feely's a tough guy on the field...etc. Some of you guys might want to take into account the fact that Feely is a notorious toolbox and that there might be a little something more to him being allowed to walk other than 'dude lost the Atlanta game.'

FG% is random from year to year and Folk doesn't kick off. I don't see how this could possibly be about anything other than the fact that Feely is a dick.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the point; an accurate place kicker is not a luxury... it's a must. Look at the Super Bowl. Garrett Hartley was MONEY for New Orleans... Stover missed his only chance for the Colts.

Completely agree, its just that in the case of Feely, he hit only 60% of his postseason kicks and his 83% during the regular season was good for 19th most accurate kicker in the NFL last season. Not exactly anything to write home about.

Well just off the top of my head this season alone, both kickoff returns in the second Miami were at least just as much Feely's fault as the coverage units considering thanks to his pathetically bad kickoffs it limited the ability of the coverage to get downfield, and he was out of position both times when it came to be backing back to try to make the tackle in case the returner broke loose. Its not a coincidence that problems in the Jets coverage unit began at the exact moment Feely became our kicker. Oh yeah, and multiple missed kicks in a 3 point loss against Atlanta. Not to mention if not for Feely going 1 for 3 in a dome in the AFC Championship the Jets would've been within one score at the end of the game.

I'm sure you'll blame everyone else imaginable for those losses and while he didn't lose those games alone (and no single player ever loses a game on his own), he certainly had a big part in both losses. On the flip side, name one single game that he ever actually won for the Jets? Because that was really the point, that he's lost more than he's won, because he has won the Jets zero games.

Don't mention the Atlanta game, please. I believe he missed two that game, but one of them was totally all on Kellen Clemens. So he missed one. Big woopdey ****ing doo. Who doesn't miss once in awhile when there are strong winds like that? He's hit some important FGs for us. Jay Feely was one of the most important players on our team due to the lack of scoring we had. Please, stop hating on a guy that does his job.

Don't mention the Atlanta game, please. I believe he missed two that game, but one of them was totally all on Kellen Clemens. So he missed one. Big woopdey ****ing doo. Who doesn't miss once in awhile when there are strong winds like that? He's hit some important FGs for us. Jay Feely was one of the most important players on our team due to the lack of scoring we had. Please, stop hating on a guy that does his job.

He missed 2. Clemens botched a snap because there were 3 total misses. I don't care what happened on the snap of the one he kicked and missed, it was a chip shot.

Jay Feely is a average to above average kicker. He is NOT one of the most important players on the team. He's a KICKER.

The longevity of this thread, and some of the emotion involved, about the possibility of an average-at-best journeyman kicker leaving the team is proof positive that we're in the depths of the post season here.

He missed 2. Clemens botched a snap because there were 3 total misses. I don't care what happened on the snap of the one he kicked and missed, it was a chip shot.

Jay Feely is a average to above average kicker. He is NOT one of the most important players on the team. He's a KICKER.

Special teams will never get the credit it deserves. When Nick Folk misses, don't say I miss Feely.

Special teams will never get the credit it deserves. When Nick Folk misses, don't say I miss Feely.

The Raiders easily have the best special teams unit in the NFL, especially in terms of kicking and punting. How is that working out for them?

Special teams can win you games sure, but they are not the most important part of your team and if your best players are on special teams your team sucks.

Guys: this is a false report. Feely was in Hawaii with his family and I confirmed it with his agent. He hasn't visited any other teams yet.

HOWEVER, Feely probably won't be a Jet next year. I wrote a story on it here:

http://wwjnd.com/2010/03/21/wwjnd-exclusive-jay-feely-probably-not-a-jet-next-year/

I've been busy putting together my new website, WWJND.com, which is an NFL gossip blog. So I haven't been around JN as much. Now that things are up and running on the site though, I'll try to get around more. :cheers:

Guys: this is a false report. Feely was in Hawaii with his family and I confirmed it with his agent. He hasn't visited any other teams yet.

HOWEVER, Feely probably won't be a Jet next year. I wrote a story on it here:

http://wwjnd.com/2010/03/21/wwjnd-exclusive-jay-feely-probably-not-a-jet-next-year/

I've been busy putting together my new website, WWJND.com, which is an NFL gossip blog. So I haven't been around JN as much. Now that things are up and running on the site though, I'll try to get around more. :cheers:

Cool stuff, JB.

GOOD LUCK!!!

The Raiders easily have the best special teams unit in the NFL, especially in terms of kicking and punting. How is that working out for them?

Special teams can win you games sure, but they are not the most important part of your team and if your best players are on special teams your team sucks.

People don't get it. It's underrated for good teams, and when did I ever say Feely was one of our best players? I specifially said he was one of the more important ones. There is a huge difference between the two. Nick Folk misses from 25 yards in a ****ing dome. Lets see how he does in December. I will bring this thread up again.

If Feely's so swaggerlicious, how come no one's rushing to sign this beast?

Probably because the Raiders just gave Janikowski a $16million contract and every agent for a good kicker thinks they can use that as precedent for getting their client overpaid.

Wonder where you went, JetsBabe. Good to hear from you.

Please keep us posted. So Feeley hasn't gone to see any other team? Hmm....

Will do. Any time I hear something Jets-related I always put it out there for you guys. Be sure to check the site, I'm updating it daily.

LyGcRlxLKDU&feature=related

That kick pretty much caused the Cowboys an NFC Championship visit. Up two positions with a little over two minutes left.

I don't know, but that sounds like a way the SOJ will choke. Hmm.. And now Nick Folk is on the team. Hoooray!

That kick pretty much caused the Cowboys an NFC Championship visit. Up two positions with a little over two minutes left.

I don't know, but that sounds like a way the SOJ will choke. Hmm.. And now Nick Folk is on the team. Hoooray!

And Feely missed two kicks inside of a dome that would have had the Jets within one score at the end of the game in the AFC Championship. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to believe that Feely is any less of a choke artist than Folk. Folk sucks, ok fine... so does Feely.

And Feely missed two kicks inside of a dome that would have had the Jets within one score at the end of the game in the AFC Championship. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to believe that Feely is any less of a choke artist than Folk. Folk sucks, ok fine... so does Feely.

The Colts game and the Falcons game are the only ones I can think of in terms of Feely having a bad game. Folk on the other hand, had a bad season. Is Mike Vanderjagt a free agent?

• 1 month later...

Feely came up small in the AFC Championship Game. He's been largely reliable, but kickers are replaceable. I expect the Jets to at least bring in an UDFA to compete with Folk, and they'll scour the waiver wire if no one's working out by the time the season starts. Feely himself was out of football when the Jets brought him in. You can find kickers. Not like you have to spend second round picks on them. :rolleyes:

Should Feely sign a decent contract elsewhere, that'll free up the Jets to sign a FA to an equal value contract. Lose a kicker, gain a football player? That works for me.

Yeah, I can't imagine a guy making very missable kicks in a domed environment. Oh my God, imagine if Folk did that in a big game like, oh, I don't know... the AFC Championship? Oh wait, then he'd just be Feely. Feely is a vastly overrated kicker and HORRIBLE on kickoffs. Feely lost us more games with his crappy kickoffs than he won us with his field goals, that's all I'm saying.

As far as punters, most punters in the NFL suck. There's just not many good ones. Bringing another one in to compete is a good idea, but sad to say, you could do a lot worse than Weatherford. They'll probably bring in an UDFA to compete, but I wouldn't expect some big move because there's nobody out there worth getting.

Meh.

I'm not chasing him out of town, but kickers are replaceable parts. Feely himself was out of work when the Jets picked him up. There's always another kicker.

If he signs a FA deal somewhere, that will free up the Jets to sign their first FA of the year to an equal value contract under the final 8 rules. That's reason enough to let him walk, IMHO.

As much as I did like Feely, he blew the Falcons game and he also hurt us a lot in the AFCC game. Rackers is a better kicker than him as well, although I'm not high on Folk he was decent a couple of years ago too. These Ks are all replaceable and they all have bad spots.

Hope you guys are happy. Nick Folk is missing 40 yard ****ing field goals in OTAs. The Jets will not win with this clown kicking for us.

Dude. It's a practice in May for goodness sakes.

This. Besides, what's to say if he's that bad this offseason that he's even the kicker come September?

And as I've said a number of times already, even if Folk sucks beyond all belief, that doesn't make Feely a good kicker. The guy was a Grade A choke artist.

LOL, Folk is garbage but Feely was a choker too. AFC Championship game ring a bell? Also, ask Giants fans about him in the clutch - They have some nice memories of him.

As for that miss - Pretty sure the Cowboys won that game. Isn't that when they broke the Saints undefeated streak?

This. Besides, what's to say if he's that bad this offseason that he's even the kicker come September?

And as I've said a number of times already, even if Folk sucks beyond all belief, that doesn't make Feely a good kicker. The guy was a Grade A choke artist.

Feely was? You mean Folk right? I mean how the hell can you call Feely a choke artist while discussing Folk?

Nevermind the fact that Feely was clearly more clutch than either Nate Kaeding or Shayne Grahm, two kickers who are good in their own right. People getting on him for missing 2 fgs in 3 playoffs games it's like saying a WR isn't clutch cause he dropped one friggin pass.

BTW Feely had no problem stepping in as punter in the playoffs when he was called upon, and nailed a long FG, followed by an even LONGER fg back to back when they both got called back through no fault of his own. Do those not count, cause some other idiot messed up?

The job of a kicker is ridiculous... I can already hear people whining about, "well, he's SUPPOSED to be the emergency punter" blablabla... that's not the point. The point is he DID it - and DID IT WELL all things considered, especially given the fact that he was informed like 10 mins before the game.

Then he gets knocked for missing two in Indy but no one wants to credit him for hitting everything else throughout the playoffs. Suddenly "clutch" doesn't count, EXCEPT in the championship game? Not to mention that those were 2 short fgs BUT nowhere near as short as the ones Grahm and Kaeding were shanking all day

Archived