Taylor, Jets meet for second day

Bruce Banner

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5066862

Free-agent linebacker Jason Taylor, a six-time Pro Bowl pick with the Miami Dolphins, met with the New York Jets for a second straight day Thursday as coach Rex Ryan tried to add the NFL's active sacks leader to last season's top-ranked defense.

"Hopefully we can bring him along for the ride," linebacker Calvin Pace said. "I think it would be a great situation for him."

The 35-year-old Taylor, who was in town with his wife, Katina, left for home and was expected to take until this weekend at the earliest before deciding on whether to sign with New York. The general feeling around the Jets' locker room is that Taylor is very interested in joining the team, sources told ESPNNewYork.com's Jane McManus.

The former "Dancing With the Stars" contestant -- he finished runner-up to Kristi Yamaguchi in 2008 -- has had a contentious relationship with Jets fans during his 13-year career, calling them ignorant and classless.

"I think our fans would embrace him," defensive end Shaun Ellis said. "They know the type of player he is. There may be some fans who wouldn't at first, but after a few weeks and he was on our team, I think they'd be really excited just to add another part like that to our defense."

Added Pace: "I think once he puts the green and white on, all that other stuff will be in the past."

Taylor has expressed a desire to remain with the Dolphins, where he has spent 12 of his 13 NFL seasons. Miami general manager Jeff Ireland said the team will wait until after the draft before deciding whether to make an offer, but Taylor's visit with the Jets raises the possibility he might make a decision before then.

"I'm not going to air our business through the media," Ireland said of Taylor and his agent, Gary Wichard. "They know exactly our stance. ... We have to evaluate things after the draft. That's where we're at."

The 2006 Defensive Player of the Year with 127

I have been a firm supporter of the anti-taylor movement, but I see what he can do for us. I believe that if we sign him, even though I will continue to hate him, he can help us out. I will still not like him until he breaks some quarterback's neck in the superbowl for us, but i will support his signing.

I love all the blind hatred in this thread after you all embraced that fat douchebag carpetbagger and that little Simon Bar Sinister as if they were the second coming. Those two *******s had ran two of the three most hated teams around here before they came in, but that was okay.

Excellent point. Hell, one of our very own moderators fell so madly in love that he named himself after that arrogant prick.

I love all the blind hatred in this thread after you all embraced that fat douchebag carpetbagger and that little Simon Bar Sinister as if they were the second coming. Those two *******s had ran two of the three most hated teams around here before they came in, but that was okay.

OK, Parcells ran the Patriots, but whose the other guy and team?

OK, Parcells ran the Patriots, but whose the other guy and team?

Mangini came from you guys also and he was beloved for a bit. CuMar is as loved as any former Jet and he came from you guys. I know it is now the same but fans will get over it if Taylor becomes a Jet.

Mangini came from you guys also and he was beloved for a bit. CuMar is as loved as any former Jet and he came from you guys. I know it is now the same but fans will get over it if Taylor becomes a Jet.

Not to mention Bryan Cox. There were few Dolphins hated by Jets fans more than Cox. Within a month of signing, he was beloved by Jets fans. By the end of his first season in NY, he was a fan favorite.

He has something left in the tank. I trust Ryan's judgement.

I live in South Florida, and watched every Fish game. Yes, he still has something in the tank. Seems like quite a bit actually.

I remember watching last season and thinking,

Not to mention Bryan Cox. There were few Dolphins hated by Jets fans more than Cox. Within a month of signing, he was beloved by Jets fans. By the end of his first season in NY, he was a fan favorite.

Excellent point on Cox.

When he came to the Jets I thought it was the end of the world, By the time he left I loved the guy, and was glad when he came back as a coach

Unlike you, some of us "rich guys" in South Florida can afford the NFL Sunday ticket. That remote turns into a machine gun on Sunday.

I thought everyone in Florida lived there because they were too poor to live in NY. That's what 124/230 said, and I believe it.

So they bring in Taylor to play 3rd down/obvious passing situations only for 1.3 mil. He's basically being paid very little to do what Gholston gets paid a ton to do, only Taylor can actually do it. I hate the guy. I hated Chad Pennington and Herm Edwards, but it didn't stop me from rooting for them on Sundays when they were here. I could do this for Taylor as well.

I thought everyone in Florida lived there because they were too poor to live in NY. That's what 124/230 said, and I believe it.

Actually when I came here, that was the reason.

Over the years the open economy down here allowed me to run my own business, and get, well not rich, but very comfortable. :cheers:

When Taylor’s agent said yesterday morning that Taylor was not going to sign on this trip, but was going home to think it over, I really figured it was over. I assumed Taylor was here just to push Miami into a commitment, or to stir Bilichick’s interest.

That's the same thing I thought when Tomlinson went back to San Diego.

... it's kind of sickening at first thought, but he probably does make out team a bit better as a situational rusher.. so might as well do it

I guess, but what situational rusher? Since when do we have a position for a guy who plays limited snaps and does nothing but rush the passer, and if same does in fact exist, when does Gholston get a crack at it?

Archived