Jets RB Washington will sign his tender

rick34125

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81789523&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Two people familiar with the deal tell The Associated Press that running back Leon Washington, a restricted free agent who's recovering from a broken right leg, will sign his tender with the New York Jets.

Washington is traveling from his home in Florida to New Jersey on Wednesday night and will sign Thursday morning. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal hadn't yet been signed.

Washington, a fourth-round draft pick out of Florida State in 2006, received a second-round tender worth $1.759 million last month.

The former Pro Bowl kick returner suffered a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula during an Oct. 25 game at Oakland and missed the rest of the season.

Washington has been working out in Pensacola, Fla., since being tendered.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

This just on Cimini's Twitter...

"Guess who's coming to New Jersey to sign a contract tomorrow? It's not Jason Taylor but he's coming from Florida."

Ha! I'm so smart!! I figured it out! Whats my prize?

Being late. :)

I already posted it. LOL

If he didn't sign it, he'd face having to play for 110% of his last year's salary - or < $600K. There was really no suspense about him signing the thing.

Now let's see if the Jets try to move him before the the draft.

If he didn't sign it, he'd face having to play for 110% of his last year's salary - or < $600K. There was really no suspense about him signing the thing.

What would we get? A 7th rounder? If LW hadn't been injured, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But as it stands now, no one will trade for a RB who is coming off a serious injury and not been tested...you would have to be crazy.

We have gotten more than our money's worth out of Leon. He brought a ton of excitment to what was otherwise some pretty dull Jets teams, he was compensation for Herm Edwards so practically if he was cut in his first TC he still added value to this team.

I think it's worth keeping him this year. If he can't pass a physical early on he's cheap it's an uncapped year you can put him on the shelf for awhile and maybe catch lightning in a bottle late in the season when we're making our playoff push. If he produces we may well be able to unload him for reasonable value next year a third or a 4th. I can't see him getting us better than a 5 or 6 right now if that. Based on his low value I like the idea of rolling the dice and keeping him. If at some point during the season he comes back to where he was this guy can be a serious weapon on a team looking to make a SB run this year.

I think it's worth keeping him this year. If he can't pass a physical early on he's cheap it's an uncapped year you can put him on the shelf for awhile and maybe catch lightning in a bottle late in the season when we're making our playoff push. If he produces we may well be able to unload him for reasonable value next year a third or a 4th. I can't see him getting us better than a 5 or 6 right now if that. Based on his low value I like the idea of rolling the dice and keeping him. If at some point during the season he comes back to where he was this guy can be a serious weapon on a team looking to make a SB run this year.

Keeping him and putting him to use late in the year a la Shonn Greene last year definitely has merit. LT could hit a wall, and having Leon tanned and rested in December could be big. But you can't do that with the idea that you can just turn around and get something for him next year. He's only signing a one year tender, and more than likely he'll be an UFA next year. So we'd get one more year out of him, then lose him for nothing (except maybe a comp pick).

I definitely think the Jets could get a fourth rounder for him right now. Easily. It's just a matter of whether they think that's worth it to pull the trigger.

Keeping him and putting him to use late in the year a la Shonn Greene last year definitely has merit. LT could hit a wall, and having Leon tanned and rested in December could be big. But you can't do that with the idea that you can just turn around and get something for him next year. He's only signing a one year tender, and more than likely he'll be an UFA next year. So we'd get one more year out of him, then lose him for nothing (except maybe a comp pick).

I definitely think the Jets could get a fourth rounder for him right now. Easily. It's just a matter of whether they think that's worth it to pull the trigger.

A 4th rounder is wishful thinking...you would purchase a used car without driving it first? If someone offers a 4th rounder, I would jump on it and wouldn't look back.

A 4th rounder is wishful thinking...you would purchase a used car without driving it first? If someone offers a 4th rounder, I would jump on it and wouldn't look back.

A fourth rounder would be dirt cheap for a 100% healthy Leon Washington. Players generally completely recover from broken legs. Once it heals, it will be stronger than it was.

If I can get a Lexus for the price of a Hyundai because the Lexus needs a cheap repair that I know will restore it back to 100%, I'll buy it before driving it. ;)

Let's see what the week brings.

It was a serious leg break, and he might never be the same. Normally a broken leg would heal and be even stronger as a result (As Slats pointed out) but this was an exceptionally bad break. The trade value probably wont be there, at least not for a guy with Leon’s potential. Seeing as we are building for a run this season I think we have to keep him. If by some chance he’s had a great recovery then we have give the offense another dimension. I would take a fully healthy Leon over LT 100% of the time. Add Leon to Greene, Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery and Keller. It’s just impossible to see how a defense can match up. We’re putting the chips in for this season anyways. Might as well take another chance on Washington, it could be the most valuable of all if it pays off.

the signing deadline is June 15. why not sign after the draft and prevent the Jets from the possibility of trading him before the draft?

I agree. no one is giving up a 4th rounder on Leon before they see him play again.

the signing deadline is June 15. why not sign after the draft and prevent the Jets from the possibility of trading him before the draft?

Because the maximum he's going to get from the Jets is the one year tender offer. If he's traded, he's looking at a multi-year deal. Not saying he wants to be traded, but it's smart business for him to make himself available.

Because the maximum he's going to get from the Jets is the one year tender offer. If he's traded, he's looking at a multi-year deal. Not saying he wants to be traded, but it's smart business for him to make himself available.

hmmm... does a trade for sure mean a multiyear deal? couldn't the new team pay him his one year tender with a wait and see approach?

hmmm... does a trade for sure mean a multiyear deal? couldn't the new team pay him his one year tender with a wait and see approach?

A trade would most likely mean a multi-year deal, but no, it's not a certainty. It is his only shot at one this year, though. Next year, he'll be a UFA RB pushing 30. He needs his money ASAP.

The biggest fan of Leon Washington is definitely slats.

Haha!

Trying to look at it logically from both sides. Definitely a plus to have Leon here if they think LT's tank might hit empty during the course of the year, but this is also probably their last chance to get something for him.

From Leon's perspective, a trade gives him a much better shot at a long term deal than sticking with the Jets. The only reason to sign now is to make himself available for a trade. No other explanation. As pointed out, he had until June to sign the tender.

Good, just sign your ****ing tender and shut up :yes:

Has leon said anything ? Geez give the guy a break hes been nothing but a model Citizen on this team and he deserves some damn respect.

Imagine both Leon and LT in the backfield in passing situations. Both can pick up blitzing LB's very well and it would make our offense very dangerous. Also dont forget what Leon brings to the table on Special teams.

You can bet Leon is working hard to come back from his injury and you can also bet hes going to play his ass off next year. This team currently has no glaring weaknesses sure we can probably improve in an area or two (DE/OLB) but ask yourself will you get more value from Leon next year or a 4th round pick ?? I think Ill take my chances and go with Leon.

Archived