PFT | Howard Green signs with Redskins

rick34125

Redskins sign nose tackle Howard Green

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 19, 2010 3:56 PM ET

As they continue to make the transition to a 3-4 defense, the Washington Redskins have signed a nose tackle who has experience playing for new coordinator Jim Haslett.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Redskins have reached an agreement with nose tackle Howard Green on a one-year deal. Green was a starter on the Saints' defensive line in 2004, when Haslett was their head coach.

The signing of Green, who played in 12 games for the Jets last year, could turn out to be a bigger story than meets the eye if it makes the Redskins feel like they have more leverage in dealing with (and possibly trading) defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

Green is obviously nowhere near the impact player that Haynesworth is, but Green will be much less expensive than Haynesworth and much more willing to buy into the role of nose tackle in Haslett's 3-4 defense than Haynesworth.

The Redskins are continuing to say there have been no Haynesworth trade talks, but the presence of Green only makes it more likely that we'll hear such talks in the future.

Yes, Green was a UFA. It'll be interesting to see how much he gets.

Last year I believe he made the league minimum for a veteran.. something like $620,000 for a full year.

This does open to door to sign Brunell while we foolishly wait for Jason Taylor to realize the phins don't want him anymore.

Actually I think Green was an RFA who we chose not to tender. If so we cannot sign anyone because of this.

Howard Green has been in the NFL for 7 years, he wasn't eligible for RFA tender.

Edit: actually now that I re-checked, I think you may be right.

Edit 2: It's odd, Greene has been in the league for 7 seasons, but NFLLabor.com has him listed as a RFA with 5 accrued seasons.

Edit 3: Yeah, Green has only accrued 5 eligible seasons - he did not play a game in '05 and only played 1 game in his rookie season in '02. He's not a UFA that can be replaced under F8P.

Howard Green has been in the NFL for 7 years, he wasn't eligible for RFA tender.

Edit 2: It's odd, Greene has been in the league for 7 seasons, but NFLLabor.com has him listed as a RFA with 5 accrued seasons.

Edit 3: Yeah, Green has only accrued 5 eligible seasons - he did not play a game in '05 and only played 1 game in his rookie season in '02. He's not a UFA that can be replaced under F8P.

Well that just sucks then.

If he isn't an UFA and he is an RFA, up until today the only RFA that didn't sign

the tender was Leon. And if he is an RFA and signed with the Redskins

what do the Jets get in return. Every news report i see says he was a UFA.

Was he in some no mans land that we didn't know about???

If he isn't an UFA and he is an RFA, up until today the only RFA that didn't sign

the tender was Leon. And if he is an RFA and signed with the Redskins

what do the Jets get in return. Every news report i see says he was a UFA.

Was he in some no mans land that we didn't know about???

SENIOR!!!! My friend. It is good to see you (in text) again. I miss talking with you. It's been a long time.

Either way it sucks to lose Green. He was solid for us and came in real handy when Jenkins went down. This is not something I wanted to see. It's not an insurmountable loss, but a loss none the less.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11048/jets-tender-eight-of-11-rfas

The New York Jets have confirmed the tender offers they’ve extended to restricted free agents.

If another team signs the following players to an offer sheet and the Jets decline to match, then these are the draft considerations the Jets would receive as compensation:

An explanation on Clemens: He was drafted in the second round, but a rule states that once a team places a second-round tender on another player, it can't receive compensation for a player chosen in that round. So the reimbursement slides back to the third round for Clemens.

The Jets also announced they would not extend offers to:

Declined to tender him. No 7 days to match, no pick in return, no ability to sign a UFA to a similar contract.

Archived